The death of JockStraps?

TitanicJake

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I took my 14 year old neighbor to buy all of his sports equipment for Basketball. He made the team this year. His mother is a single mother and asked me as a favor. We got the sneakers, socks, tanks, armbands and I picked up two jock straps. He said he didn't want to wear one. I said it is on the list from your coach and he may check to make sure you are protecting your body.
The kid said he didn't want his bare ass shown in the locker room. So he bought a few pairs of compression shorts. I said to him I don't think they give the same protection as a jockstrap for all of the running, jumping he will be doing. Plus don't you shower after a game anyway? The kid said kids don't like wearing jock straps because all of your junk is so visible and who wants to show off their crack? I replied that the design is for maximum protection not for showing off or hiding anything.
He was very open about it and asked if I wore one for wrestling. I said no but the sports are very different. I mentioned that my friend is a football coach and checks for straps and cups.
He got both the staps and the shorts. I told him to try it on and play in the driveway or something. He may notice the difference and feel differently. His mother asaked if we got everything I said yes.
I was in my high school's football locker room and saw plenty of jock straps so I'm not sure where this kid is coming from. Maybe sports are different. Maybe it is the age or the fact that he doesn;t have a dad to talk to about these things.
I just don't want the kid to get hurt in the nuts.
Jake

Reactions: jockbros
Media
Jake, as always, you are a good guy for helping this young boy. In my generation, jock straps were a sign of becoming a man. It was a rite of passage. I was a swimmer, but never could get into wearing them under Speedos, though many of my team mates did. But, as you said, it is a sport by sport decision. And I am finding it amazing that this younger generation has so many phobias and hangups about wearing them. I guess we were more secure about our masculinity and in being nude or in jocks with other men. I'm sure you will be a great male role model for this young man.

D

deleted3782

I think compression shorts are probably better than a jock strap. I hated wearing a jock, probably only wore it once. Compression shorts, they are no big deal. Just improvement in technology...

NIMBUS

Legendary Member
Media
Seems to be a very US thing to wear a jockstrap for just about everything. I have never owned nor worn a jockstrap in my life. I know a few guys who have, mainly because they play cricket and need something to hold their cricket box in place.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Like Sam, I grew up in an era when athletes all wore jocks. I never did like them -- chafing caused jock itch. The young men I play sports with now all wear Underarmor, so I tried it. It is much more comfortable, IMO.
I never liked the feeling of wearing a jockstrap either. Mabye they make them different now. Mabye they are more comfortable:cool:

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
They do make them much more comfortable now. They have soft material pouches, softer than most briefs. They have nice full seats or tubular rubber leg straps. I hated wearing them when I was younger. They have made huge improvements and I like wearing them daily.

Dalt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes, jockstraps are pretty much dead for basketball players, although I could tell that one of my college alma mater's players was wearing one the other night. My best friend is a high school basketball coach, and most of his players wear compression shorts of some sort.

Playing basketball in my day, we did wear jocks and even with cups, since we were expected to give it all on defense. The one time I didn't wear a jock and cup in a high school basketball game, I got kneed in the nads--it nearly killed me. I don't think many high school football players wear jocks, but many/most do in college. I don't think so many younger/high school baseball players wear jocks, either, since so many sliding shorts now have a cup pocket. I play on a competitive adult softball team now, and most guys wear sliding shorts and only a few wear a cup.

I was used to wearing a jock, since I'd had to have one since playing little league pitcher in elementary school. They were the "industry standard" until the mid-late 80's. Having a hairy ass, I'd say jocks are easier to deal with than tight sticky compression shorts or support briefs. :redface:

Rubenesque

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A question for the British men here...... have jock straps ever really been used here?

I only ask because there's alot said about them on this site, yet have never EVER known anyone who owned one lol

Max

Sexy Member
Media
A question for the British men here...... have jock straps ever really been used here?

I only ask because there's alot said about them on this site, yet have never EVER known anyone who owned one lol

They have ... maybe 30 years ago they were much more common, but even then more usual in some sports, eg rugger, than in others.

Some lpsg type guys like me have to wear them all the time (not just for sport), but that's a different matter.

fak_et

Experimental Member
Media
I wore a cup for 2 years of middle school football as most of the teamates did. That damn thing was uncomfortable as hell. If you got hit there, it still hurt like hell. I played for 2 more years in Hs and i didnt wear it there. Just because i didnt feel that it did much for me and just was a nuisance to ear. Football is probably where it is most helpful too.

Fire Stick

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
At the gym, I see fewer and fewer men wearing jock straps. Many are either favoring compression shorts (usually under loose-fitting outer shorts) or they are simply wearing their normal underwear under their gym shorts. However, there is a significant minority of us who contunue to wear jock straps. Some of them are pretty fancy nowadays, with various colors and designs. Personally, I still prefer the basic, time-honored model. Not only do I find them functional and comfortable, but I think that they are very attractive on a sexy guy. I don't have a jock-strap fetish, but I do find appeal in the classic jock strap being a traditional hallmark of masculinity. Perhaps that is silly, but hanging on to the vintage Bike-brand jock strap just feels right.

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Jockstraps were an invention for sportsmen and heavy manual workers in the 19th century to spport and give some protection to genatalia in an age when underwear was perhaps "long johns" in the winter months - in an age when under vests and shirts came down to knee level what was the point of briefs. Despite what has appeared here Brits do wear jocks - it is a "health and safety" issue in the military and professional sports. If there is something superior and as functional as a jock all well and good. But listen, it's a jock not haute couture.