the death of Richard Holbrooke, Afghan envoy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Hoss, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    What if any effect(s) will the death of Richard Holbrooke, Afghan envoy and diplomat have in regard to the current and ongoing Afghan talks and the plans for creating a timely wthdrawal plan?

2. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    According to ABC News (via the Washington Post):

3. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    I read a very nice article on him in which he stressed the importance of wearing two pairs of socks.

http://cagle.com/working/100730/fitzsimmons.jpg

He will be missed, and I hope the cause of his torn aorta was not any sort of blunt force trauma.

4. D_Davy_Downspout

D_Davy_Downspout Account Disabled

Looks like we're gonna shit on his dying wishes for a few more years.

5. Drifterwood

Gold Member

RIP - I thought that he was quality. You always miss that level of quality in any walk of life.

6. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

He seemed to be really steady, with very grounded views and a contempt for the politesse that might have muzzled him. (Some people even wondered how he survived, given his frankness.)
    Is there anyone else like him now?

#6 D_Gunther Snotpole, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  7. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    very very very very very little. this is Obama's Vietnam and the mainstream/liberal media will NEVER second guess nor challenge.

99% of the ppl here never heard this cat til he croaked.

99% of the ppl here (1%99%) knew everything about Lady Gaga, though.

8. bananaclubcock

Albums:
    It was also Bush's Vietnam. Or maybe it and Iraq was Bush's Vietnam.

Holbrooke was a lot less special than he seemed. I hate to be so patronizing, but the citizenry needs to realize that similar properties help one get ahead and be successful in all organizations. I would guess most of you are aware of at least a few folks who rise to the top because of the wrong reasons in organizations with which you are familiar . Just keep in mind that that happens in a bunch of fields, even foreign affairs.

9. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

HAHA!! Funny how in 2008, before Obama won the presidential election, people were comparing the war in the Middle East to a modern day Vietnam. And even funnier how the very person who is now trying to use the same rhetoric on Obama was one of the first to try and completely shoot the ideal down when it was used on the previous administration. Gee, what a sudden change of heart... or does another "H" word apply here? :rolleyes:

10. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think that a better comparison would be Nixon's Vietnam, with incursions into Cambodia being similar to the actions currently being taken in Pakistan.

Though I'm unclear on Nixon's early stance on Vietnam, he was obviously a Cold Warrior and a hawk on all matters aimed at preventing the spread of global Communism, so I think it's fair to say he'd have agreed with Vietnam from its inception, much as Obama voted in favor of the invasion of Afghanistan.

I, myself, supported both overthrowing the Taliban and finding and arresting Osama bin Laden, who was given refuge there. The minute I heard GW Bush declare that bin Laden's capture was irrelevant to our presence in Afghanistan, my support evaporated.

My current opinion is that the US has no business waging a war and occupation of imperialism, which this quagmire has become. Whenever war is continued to "save face" of a leader (as this one seems to be now), it sickens me, and in some way has soured me on Obama the Pragmatist. There's no winning: just ask the Russians.

Draft saved Draft deleted