The Death of Xp

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As of today Microsoft will stop selling Xp to retailers and computure manufactures. Support for Xp will end in 2009. Limited support till 2014. It will Allow a downgrade from a very high priced version of vista. Other than that its gone. We got a notice today at work and took it off the shelves and began sending it back. A copy of the software may be purchased up until January 2009 if you can find it.

D_Rod Staffinbone

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As of today Microsoft will stop selling Xp to retailers and computure manufactures. Support for Xp will end in 2009. Limited support till 2014. It will Allow a downgrade from a very high priced version of vista. Other than that its gone. We got a notice today at work and took it off the shelves and began sending it back. A copy of the software may be purchased up until January 2009 if you can find it.

saw a funny sign at border's bookstore last weekend "once you go mac you never go back".

offroad8x6

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
All that matters is that they make updates available online. I don't use the phone support or other forms of support so that doesn't matter.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
All that matters is that they make updates available online. I don't use the phone support or other forms of support so that doesn't matter.
Well till 2009 anyway. Will they do the updates after 2009? Im hearing no. Windows 7 is expected in 2009. I think its very sad when the consumer isnt give a choice.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Good, because those of us with older hardware will realize that Linux is really the better choice and move older systems to that, by the time 2009 thru 2014 arrives, many will upgrade to faster and better systems and Vista will feel like XP on dual, triple and quad core Intel/AMD systems.

I think eventually even Linux and OS X will gain enough bloat with the eye candy that the older computers won't be able to run them without the most basic of "X" running. I've got an old Dell L400 with a P3 733 Mhz cpu and 256 MB of PC133 in it that isn't as crisp as it used to run with a lighter OS on it.

At any rate I threw SP3 on my XP system, I guess to get it to the latest updates more than to actually use it. I download the SP in a the cumulative KB so that I have it for all eternity. Always a good idea as you never know when Microsoft pulls the plug on the support should there be any issues with genuine advantage ? I still pretty much prefer my Linux systems though. As Open Office 3 provides Office 2007 support in it's projected September 2008 release, I don't see any reason to even get Office 2007. Though I probably/eventually will have to as my employer will need that for whatever work I can do for them at home.

Last edited:

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Good, because those of us with older hardware will realize that Linux is really the better choice and move older systems to that, by the time 2009 thru 2014 arrives, many will upgrade to faster and better systems and Vista will feel like XP on dual, triple and quad core Intel/AMD systems.

I think eventually even Linux and OS X will gain enough bloat with the eye candy that the older computers won't be able to run them without the most basic of "X" running. I've got an old Dell L400 with a P3 733 Mhz cpu and 256 MB of PC133 in it that isn't as crisp as it used to run with a lighter OS on it.

At any rate I threw SP3 on my XP system, I guess to get it to the latest updates more than to actually use it. I download the SP in a the cumulative KB so that I have it for all eternity. I still much prefer my Linux systems though. As Open Office 3 provides Office 2007 support in it's projected September 2008 release, I don't see any reason to even get Office 2007. Though I probably/eventually will have to as my employer will need that for whatever work I can do for them at home.
Linux is very good. I run it sometimes from a disc. The Dells of years ago were very good. The new Dells are garbage and a total waste. They are without a doubt the worst computer made today.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well till 2009 anyway. Will they do the updates after 2009? Im hearing no. Windows 7 is expected in 2009. I think its very sad when the consumer isnt give a choice.

There's plenty of choice. The number one option is the give Micro$oft the middle finger and install a different operating system.

I prefer Linux...and for those accustomed to the Windows interface, the Ubuntu flavor of Linux is very user friendly.

Many also like the Mac OS, although in my opinion it suffers from the same core drawback as Windows, i.e. it's a proprietary system that's wholly owned by one entity...and you either take it or leave it. Technologically, though, it's far superior as Apple has had the benefit of a monopolized, homogeneous hardware platform for decades.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

In that case I'm glad I missed Vista, 2 going on 3 years for something I saw as a stop gap between XP and Windows 7. When you really look at Server 2008, knowing it's .net framework based replacement is a year away, who wants or would buy Server 2008 for a business ? Vista has to be the Windows ME fiasco for Microsoft. I have a feeling though XP's 2014 life ccyle will be the end of the line for Vista just the same.

Windows 7, slated to finally produce WinFS ? I think that was the plan for Vista (Longhorn) back in 2002 and 2003 ? Wonder what 7 will do to bog down the dual, triple and quad core systems coming out right now ?

According to the wiki, MS is 4 years behind on 7 and settled with Vista

Windows 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like Vista to me ?

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There's plenty of choice. The number one option is the give Micro$oft the middle finger and install a different operating system.

I prefer Linux...and for those accustomed to the Windows interface, the Ubuntu flavor of Linux is very user friendly.

Many also like the Mac OS, although in my opinion it suffers from the same core drawback as Windows, i.e. it's a proprietary system that's wholly owned by one entity...and you either take it or leave it. Technologically, though, it's far superior as Apple has had the benefit of a monopolized, homogeneous hardware platform for decades.
Yes you make some very good points. I mean in terms of someone liking XP and having to move on to something else when they dont want to move on. Linux is very good and not nearly as heavy as any of the windows programs. Yes and with a Mac there is allways the compatibility issues that will get even worse. The graphics on a Mac are very good. However they are over priced and just not worth the money. Linux in the future will give them all a run for their money.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In that case I'm glad I missed Vista, 2 going on 3 years for something I saw as a stop gap between XP and Windows 7. When you really look at Server 2008, knowing it's .net framework based replacement is a year away, who wants or would buy Server 2008 for a business ? Vista has to be the Windows ME fiasco for Microsoft. I have a feeling though XP's 2014 life ccyle will be the end of the line for Vista just the same.

Windows 7, slated to finally produce WinFS ? I think that was the plan for Vista (Longhorn) back in 2002 and 2003 ? Wonder what 7 will do to bog down the dual, triple and quad core systems coming out right now ?

According to the wiki, MS is 4 years behind on 7 and settled with Vista

Windows 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like Vista to me ?
Yes i think they are behind on Windows 7 too. Im running Vista. Once you get rid of all the garbage it comes with its great. Its plug and play features are great. Its set up in a way to protect you from making any bad changes to your computer. It is a bit confusing at first. To turn something off you have to turn something on. A backwards type of logic.

WifeOfBath

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

We run Ubuntu on a dual AMD Opteron box that we have and I like it pretty well. The code geek I'm married to absolutely loves it. The only problem is that I can't get Photoshop or any of the other programs I run regularly for work. And before someone says it, GIMP is not as good as Photoshop, ffs.

Yes you make some very good points. I mean in terms of someone liking XP and having to move on to something else when they dont want to move on. Linux is very good and not nearly as heavy as any of the windows programs. Yes and with a Mac there is allways the compatibility issues that will get even worse. The graphics on a Mac are very good. However they are over priced and just not worth the money. Linux in the future will give them all a run for their money.

Actually I was a Mac user for years because I'm an artist and I switched back right around 2005. I was running Mac's most expensive machine and it couldn't keep up with the work I was doing. The software they made for editing photos was $500 and didn't work for shit, and I ended up losing months of photos because of its fucked up export function. When I switched, I went to an $800 Gateway from BestBuy and it killed that $2500+ Mac. All the things Mac was good for for graphics has largely been superseded by Windows. Most people who write add-on software for Adobe products don't even write it for Macintosh. I know very few people in my profession who use Macs for many reasons. It's mostly only video people I know who use Macintosh anymore.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We run Ubuntu on a dual AMD Opteron box that we have and I like it pretty well. The code geek I'm married to absolutely loves it. The only problem is that I can't get Photoshop or any of the other programs I run regularly for work. And before someone says it, GIMP is not as good as Photoshop, ffs.

Actually I was a Mac user for years because I'm an artist and I switched back right around 2005. I was running Mac's most expensive machine and it couldn't keep up with the work I was doing. The software they made for editing photos was $500 and didn't work for shit, and I ended up losing months of photos because of its fucked up export function. When I switched, I went to an $800 Gateway from BestBuy and it killed that $2500+ Mac. All the things Mac was good for for graphics has largely been superseded by Windows. Most people who write add-on software for Adobe products don't even write it for Macintosh. I know very few people in my profession who use Macs for many reasons. It's mostly only video people I know who use Macintosh anymore.
I meant the graphics were good in term of games and videos. Thats about it. I deal with frustrated people every day who echo your words. You hit the nail on the head.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Get GIMP and get with the times, WoBbles. :wink:

Seriously, though...you can run Photoshop inside an environment known as WinE (Windows Emulator) on Linux.

Here's a wiki for running Photoshop under WinE. Go nuts...and don't worry if it's Greek to you, because your codermonkey hubby will understand it perfectly.
:biggrin1:

And if he doesn't...well, that's just one more reason for you to run away with me!

WifeOfBath

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Get GIMP and get with the times, WoBbles. :wink:

Seriously, though...you can run Photoshop inside an environment known as WinE (Windows Emulator) on Linux.

Here's a wiki for running Photoshop under WinE. Go nuts...and don't worry if it's Greek to you, because your codermonkey hubby will understand it perfectly.
:biggrin1:

And if he doesn't...well, that's just one more reason for you to run away with me!

First, fuck GIMP. In the ass. With a big rubber dick.

Anyway, not a bad idea running photoshop on the Linux box-- that box screams. My computer needs just about everything upgraded (read: I need a new computer), so I'll give it a shot.

By the way, I was no code monkey, but I was a network/system administator guy back around Y2K while I was trying to put myself through school. The troubled, bawdy artist thing just scratches the surface of my many talents. I'm sure I could get the damned thing to work all by my lonesome. Then again, making the code monkey do my work isn't a bad idea at all...

And really, do I need any more reason to run away with you?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

XP was around for a long time. The fact that they are coming up with a new OS so soon shows that they have no confidence in Vista. Reminds me of CE and ME, two OS that came and went quickly, and I never used.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
XP was around for a long time. The fact that they are coming up with a new OS so soon shows that they have no confidence in Vista. Reminds me of CE and ME, two OS that came and went quickly, and I never used.

Exactly, Mem. I went straight from Windoze 98 to XP and **loved** it. I'm certain that I shall skip this Vista bullshit and move directly onto whatever comes later.

I've yet to hear anything but bitches about Vista, anyway.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Exactly, Mem. I went straight from Windoze 98 to XP and **loved** it. I'm certain that I shall skip this Vista bullshit and move directly onto whatever comes later.

I've yet to hear anything but bitches about Vista, anyway.

I think NT was a dud too. I must have gone from 98 to XP also. I don't even remember what OS I had before XP.

I don't bitch too much about Vista. It's not that bad. I'm just pissed that they are rushing to a new system so fast.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As of today Microsoft will stop selling Xp to retailers and computure manufactures. Support for Xp will end in 2009. Limited support till 2014. It will Allow a downgrade from a very high priced version of vista. Other than that its gone.
We got a notice today at work and took it off the shelves and began sending it back. A copy of the software may be purchased up until January 2009 if you can find it.

I read that in the Sunday paper.

I can't believe you sent them back already. :eek: Didn't you know I needed a new copy to replace the one that was deleted when my hard drive crashed last December? :confused: Honestly, Mr. Snakey you need to do better at reading my mind. :tongue: :cool:

Punisher

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That bites... :/ Vista blows, I use XP because everything is compatible with it.
That, and having a dinosaur computer. <.<

Completely unrelated to the topic at hand though... Snakey, you know who you remind me of whenever I see your avatar?

Cid Highwind from Final Fantasy VII

cid_dirge_of_cerberus.jpg

8d7c2300adf790_full.jpg

7-cid-a2.jpg