The Death of Xp

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Linux is very good. I run it sometimes from a disc. The Dells of years ago were very good. The new Dells are garbage and a total waste. They are without a doubt the worst computer made today.

I have a nephew who works for DELL in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. He has a DELL. His mom and pop have DELLS. Even his daughter has a DELL laptop. :smile:

I wanted to be different so when I got my desktop...I bought a Compaq Presario. And when I got my laptop, I got a Gateway. (but I recently bought a DELL monitor (because the original Compaq CRT monitor died.). The DELL monitor was at a good price and DAMN, the screen is much larger.

I would've liked to have gotten Macs. I love Macintoshes. But they are soo pricey.

If I had the munny, I would get a Panasonic Toughbook tricked out with a TBs worth of hard drive storage. 6GB RAM. And the best sound and video cards installed. I would like a 20" Widescreen. I would have a Macintosh Powerbook as my internet PC.

Last edited:

WifeOfBath

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
OK, that one not good enough for you ? How about this one ?

YouTube - Big Buck Bunny

Here's some more:

blender.org - Art Gallery
blender.org - Movies

You totally missed my point.

I got 4 tbs and 8 gbs of ram GET AT ME!

but I am still missing photoshop...

Oh, hell, I totally forgot. I have to make some calls. PM me.

Music production is largely Mac-based.

I forgot that, too. Also the bio lab I worked in when I was in college used Mac. I don't know if that's still the case or not.

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
The Linux Home Page at Linux Online

If you don't have a fast internet connection, you can always order the CD's of most flavors of Linux to suit you from this website: www.edmunds-enterprises.com

If you want a dual-boot system that has windows XP/Vista and Linux (any flavor), let me know and I can post the easy directions on how to do it. You will need a second hard drive.

I have both and while XP does what I need it to, it continuously has glitches, takes to long to do something, or just refuses or has a conflict with something. Not so with Linux. It does everything 100% all the time, every time. The graphics has Mac beat as well as the sound you can get from it.

As for music, I have found that it does MIDI better than anything. MIDI instruments seem to like it better.

When Micro$oft gets their act together, then maybe I'll consider getting their products again--when they're FREE!!

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You totally missed my point.

I got your point, since Gimp is free then it must be a Holga ? I agree, there are times when you can't show up with results to a customer that expects to see you there and get a Hasselblad for what they pay you for with/from a Holga. But we're talking about software here on the backend that in 99.9% of the finished product are identical. Gimp supports Adobe file formats, yet Adobe doesn't support Gimp file formats ? Fair enough, the new comer usually has to go the extra yard to impress. Gimp has done that for free !

YouTube - gimp makeover - tatica

BTW, read the comments, she did her own gimp makeover of herself.

Last edited:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
If you switch to Linux is it compatible with peripherals or software that say made for Windows?

D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

Experimental Member
Media
I'm nervous. I don't trust Vista. I don't think I'll ever trust Vista. It's premature release was glaring proof microsoft is more about the money than the product quality. Fact is, they'll be releasing another unnecessary iteration of windows within a few years. I wonder if Vista will be squared off by then...

Personally, I'll be holding onto my copy of XP and XP Pro for as long as possible. I've never had problems with it. I understand the future need for an OS that's compatible with asinine amounts of RAM but the future is NOT now.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm nervous. I don't trust Vista. I don't think I'll ever trust Vista. It's premature release was glaring proof microsoft is more about the money than the product quality. Fact is, they'll be releasing another unnecessary iteration of windows within a few years. I wonder if Vista will be squared off by then...

Personally, I'll be holding onto my copy of XP and XP Pro for as long as possible. I've never had problems with it. I understand the future need for an OS that's compatible with asinine amounts of RAM but the future is NOT now.
Vista is fine. It just takes a understanding and some learning. I jumped from windows me to vista. You shouldnt have any problems. The graphics, Plug and play features and virtual stack are amazing.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you switch to Linux is it compatible with peripherals or software that say made for Windows?

Printing and wireless used to be the biggest issues with Linux.

Wireless, Ubuntu has "restricted" proprietary driver support. I have 3 different PCMCIA air cards, all three work fine. My brother has a new "extreme "n"" wireless system from D-Link that works out of the box without installing D-Links drivers/software, not that drivers for Linux exist for the wireless cards he has. Dlink has Windows drivers galore.:

Netgear MA401 Rev D 802.11b (this one is gold with Linux from the day I bought it).
D-Link DWL-650+ and DWL-520+ (the 520+ is just a 650+ on a PCI card for a desktop as opposed to a card that slides into a notebook. It's also an enhanced b+ frequency which is 22 Mbps not 11 and was between the 11b and 54g cards).
Proxim Orinoco Gold 11/a/b/g (Model 8480-WD, this one is my corporate pride and joy, a wireless card with 17 channels and compatible with 5 Mhz A wireless. WD = World card model).

Printing, rarely do it anymore, but I have an old mid 1990's Panasonic laser jet. I'm paperless these days and not because Linux doesn't support the model I have.

OpenPrinting database - Printer Listings

Notaguru2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I prefer Linux...and for those accustomed to the Windows interface, the Ubuntu flavor of Linux is very user friendly.

So, you're for no standards, no support and forgetting that anything of any entertainment value at all runs on either Windows, Mac or both. What exactly do you use your computer for? Email? Web surfing? Do you earn a living with it?

With Bill Gates and Steve Balmer ever-so-slowly divesting themselves of Microsoft, I expect to see Mac surge within the next 10 years. Linux however, will never be anything more than a hobby-toy. If linux were going to attract anyone other than anti-capitalists, it would have done so by now. Linux really began to surface in 1996; knowing that 90% of computer users out there still don't know what it is, means its pretty much a failure on many levels.

Notaguru2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
They supported 2000 for quite awhile.

They supported NT for 5 years, and 2000 for 7 to be exact. They'll support XP through 2012. For me, I've passed on vista altogether and awaiting the next OS that comes out in 2010 (it was pushed back from 2009 to 2010). That version of Windows is supposed to have the "look" of Vista yet is based on the core of XP (smart move). The 2010 release will be well worth the upgrade.

For now, we can all afford to pass on Vista and even Vista ultimate. For me, its reminiscent of Windows Millennium. Remember that dog? LOL

WifeOfBath

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I got your point, since Gimp is free then it must be a Holga ? I agree, there are times when you can't show up with results to a customer that expects to see you there and get a Hasselblad for what they pay you for with/from a Holga. But we're talking about software here on the backend that in 99.9% of the finished product are identical. Gimp supports Adobe file formats, yet Adobe doesn't support Gimp file formats ? Fair enough, the new comer usually has to go the extra yard to impress. Gimp has done that for free !

YouTube - gimp makeover - tatica

BTW, read the comments, she did her own gimp makeover of herself.

You know what? You're 100% right. I was totally wrong and I've come to the conclusion that you are not only incredibly intelligent but also such an expert in the field of computer software and the process of professional photography that there's no reason that an idiot like me could ever have any input on this debate. Regardless of the fact that I've spent 10+ years in the photography field and have watched and participated in the switch from film to digital as well as used Ubuntu and GIMP quite a bit, you've proven me wrong yet again with your superior knowledge.

Mea culpa.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've heard about a few problems with Vista and Adobe CS3. That's my main concern.
Yes by that i take it you mean the Adobe reader? Yes there are. I noticed that. I would imagine there would be problems with the c53 too. By the time you get ready to get Vista(if you want too) they will have that fixed. They may have already. I dont know. I dont use it.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You know what? You're 100% right. I was totally wrong and I've come to the conclusion that you are not only incredibly intelligent but also such an expert in the field of computer software and the process of professional photography that there's no reason that an idiot like me could ever have any input on this debate. Regardless of the fact that I've spent 10+ years in the photography field and have watched and participated in the switch from film to digital as well as used Ubuntu and GIMP quite a bit, you've proven me wrong yet again with your superior knowledge.

Mea culpa.

klik - pixel Linux Software Download
Pixel image editor Welcome

"Just because I don't know about it or can't do it myself, doesn't mean it possibly can't or even better yet, isn't already being done." And just maybe, perhaps, someone was already doing it and you never knew or couldn't tell the difference ? Ever watch the Hulk movie ? Perhaps someday you'll watch and maybe even participate in the Linux evolution ? I chose the word evolution over revolution, because Linux isn't a revolution as most perceive it, as a hostile and underground movement against Windows or OS X. Stick around "WOB", the world's going to change again in our lifetime's that much is sure !

The Power of the Incredible Hulk—the ILM Linux Death Star

Damn them, they were using Linux & Gimp all this time ! How dare they divert and not use Photoshop without your approval ? I'm sure heads will roll tomorrow at the weekly team meeting ?

http://www.linuxjournal.com/files/linuxjournal.com/linuxjournal/articles/067/6783/6783f3.png

Please feel compelled to carry on about 10+ years experience.

Last edited:

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Linux really began to surface in 1996; knowing that 90% of computer users out there still don't know what it is, means its pretty much a failure on many levels.

Yadda, yadda, yadda. Linux is succeeding because it's managed to be so versatile that lots of people are using Linux without even knowing it!

Got a Motorola RAZR² phone? It uses Linux as its OS. A Garmin GPS navigator or a TomTom? Linux. A Sharp HDTV? Well, not Windows.

Windows became a standard during the early 1990's because they quickly worked to support the available hardware of the time--Hayes dial-up modems, Okidata dot-matrix printers, Gravis joysticks, and the like.

Linux, by keeping its core size small, has established itself as a viable OS in small embedded devices like phones and GPSes. What this means, though, is that Windows's hardware advantage is evaporating. Once people catch onto the idea that this completely free OS will work with their hardware, the idea of shelling out a few hundred extra for Microsoft's product won't make as much sense.

It'll be a slow transition given the size of the market. Firefox experienced a 40% growth in market share during 2006, for example, but four out of every five users were still using Internet Explorer. Today, Firefox commands 19% of the browser market (source) -- no small feat considering that four years ago, Firefox hadn't even been released! (Okay, a beta version, Firefox 0.9 was out.)

Firefox isn't Linux, of course, and convincing users to try a new browser is a lot easier than convincing them to try a new OS. On the other hand, Firefox is sending the vibe out there that open source software can be excellent, and as the RIAA lawsuits and the Sony XCP rootkits and the Viacom YouTube lawsuit gain publicity, a lot more people will be tempted to turn away from corporate-controlled intellectual property. Outside the US, Linux is already growing at phenomenal rates.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So, you're for no standards, no support and forgetting that anything of any entertainment value at all runs on either Windows, Mac or both. What exactly do you use your computer for? Email? Web surfing? Do you earn a living with it?

With Bill Gates and Steve Balmer ever-so-slowly divesting themselves of Microsoft, I expect to see Mac surge within the next 10 years. Linux however, will never be anything more than a hobby-toy. If linux were going to attract anyone other than anti-capitalists, it would have done so by now. Linux really began to surface in 1996; knowing that 90% of computer users out there still don't know what it is, means its pretty much a failure on many levels.

Actually, no standards is what Microsoft and Apple support when they introduce their own proprietary standard. Why else would there be a WMV or QuickTime format ? Are you aware Linux supports wmv playback ? You just have to download the right codecs.

Moving to Office Suites, why does Microsoft have proprietary file formats for it's documents and spreadsheets ? Which btw, when Open Office 3 comes out will be supported in Linux. I would've mentioned Apple's office suite, but for some reason they don't seem to have a very good one worthy of critiquing, much more even mentioning by name ?

The rest of your post. Anti-capitalist, yes, Oracle introducing it's Linux version of 11g ahead of the Windows version, Larry Ellison and Oracle strike me as anti-capitalist. So that would make Linux a failure, that the largest commercial database software product on the planet runs on it. And don't get me started on the differences between Oracle 10/11g and SQL Server 2005/2008. How about the http internet, that would be running on Apache web servers. You do know you can get Apache for free thru any one of the linux distros ?

Mac will not surge ahead of Windows. I don't see our IT department scrambling to use OS X instead of Microsoft or even Linux. If anything, the network admins use Ubuntu and Fedora virtual machines because they are free and open source. On a lark, a couple of the staff put PPC OS X in a virtual environment and ran it on PC's, but that was short lived, because OS X being proprietary just didn't have the flexibility of Linux. Now as far as servers go, an Apple Xserver, go configure one thru Apple, fully loaded & supported the price tag is $ 100K. How can they even compete with Sun, Dell, HP or IBM, do they even have a blade system ? And that is why Apple will not surpass Microsoft Windows, they refuse to compete and they shoot themselves in the foot on the issue. Fine for Apple they are doing just fine with iPhones and other things, but to suggest in the next decade they are going to surpass Windows, not with 7 % of the market share and a restricted deal that excludes hardware other than what they make. They are a niche PC. And a PC is exactly what they are, now that they run on Intel X86 platform.

From your post, you seem to be part of the 90% that have limited knowledge of Linux and therefore it is a failure for you. I know that sounds harsh and arrogant but I'm only relaying what I could gather from your post. It's not my intent to come off that way. To give you another example, you say Linux can't make money, yet some of the highest grossing films made in recent years have been produced using Linux. I can understand attacking something because it's a threat, but Linux is free for you to use the same as the next guy. If Linux charged you for the air you breathe, I could understand your attacks. But they basically have put software for you to use that does everything you need it to do for free and somehow they are evil and wicked for doing so. You and others begrudge Linux for non-support. Ask yourself what guarantee or support Windows or OS X provides ? If the monthly updates are your answer, for crying out loud, Linux goes better and provides those too and even more frequently. Same goes with applications. The other day a fellow LPSGer had a virus with her Windows OS. Where was Microsoft that day. She tried antivirus programs that didn't work. So for all her troubles, she had to reinstall Windows. As for Apple, yes, they stand behind their hardware so much that it took class action legal suits for G3/G4 and G5 logic board replacements for defective hardware to get Apple to stand behind that product ? So with iron clad guarantees such as that, I'd just assume build my own from the same 3rd party sources Apple buys their hardware from and take my chances that way ? Am I really on a different plane without a parachute because it runs on Linux ?

Last edited: