'The Descent' sequel...American ending.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
As a film genre, we do horror well here in the UK, think Alien, Don't Look Now, The Wicker Man, The Omen, The Shining, Dead Man's Shoes, 28 Days Later.....to name a few.

'The Descent' was another brilliant Brit horror, claustrophobic and brutal. I read today that a sequel is currently being filmed here in the UK, with the working title 'The De2cent', but was surprised to read that Sarah, the main character in the original is to star.

So I wiki-ed it and discovered that the American distibutor who bought the distribution rights (Lionsgate), felt that the ending was too downbeat and re-edited it...WTF!! How could they do that!! Apparently (according to US distributors) the American market expects a more 'upbeat' ending.....in a horror movie. After watching Cloverfield, and seeing its success, I think not.

So how are they going to explain to us Brits how Sarah managed to escape? In the original ending we have Sarah escaping, running hysterically to her car, the ghost of Juno.....and then....ah shit, I won't spoil it for you.
Whereas the American edit version has just Sarah escaping, the ghost of Juno, and...well, Sarah escaping.

I just hope that they can make it clear for us Brits in the sequel, that actually Sarah did manage to escape after all! Without making that too obvious to the American market, who are like, err, already in the know from their version of the film. So that the British market don't all feel fucking shortchanged the minute we sit down to watch the movie after spending 300 zillion pounds on a bag of popcorn and a soda pop.

Am I making sense here???

Ah, fuck it.

Last edited:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
As a film genre, we do horror well here in the UK, think Alien, Don't Look Now, The Wicker Man, The Omen, The Shining, Dead Man's Shoes, 28 Days Later.....to name a few.

'The Descent' was another brilliant Brit horror, claustrophobic and brutal. I read today that a sequel is currently being filmed here in the UK, with the working title 'The De2cent', but was surprised to read that Sarah, the main character in the original is to star.

So I wiki-ed it and discovered that the American distibutor who bought the distribution rights (Lionsgate), felt that the ending was too downbeat and re-edited it...WTF!! How could they do that!! Apparently (according to US distributors) the American market expects a more 'upbeat' ending.....in a horror movie. After watching Cloverfield, and seeing its success, I think not.

So how are they going to explain to us Brits how Sarah managed to escape? In the original ending we have Sarah escaping, running hysterically to her car, the ghost of Juno.....and then....ah shit, I won't spoil it for you.
Whereas the American edit version has just Sarah escaping, the ghost of Juno, and...well, Sarah escaping.

I just hope that they can make it clear for us Brits in the sequel, that actually Sarah did manage to escape after all! Without making that too obvious to the American market, who are like, err, already in the know from their version of the film. So that the British market don't all feel fucking shortchanged the minute we sit down to watch the movie after spending 300 zillion pounds on a bag of popcorn and a soda pop.

Am I making sense here???

Ah, fuck it.

I saw "The Descent" here in the states and LOVED it.
But I agree with you, the original ending seems more twisted and appropriate. That's certainly an issue with Lionsgate and not necessarily the American audiences, for if you seen the ending of "Saw" you'll realize that we have no problems leaving main characters assed out. :cool:

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
The validity of the ending depends on how it fits with the flow of the story, not how it fits into the typical genre formula. I've seen some movies where the ending comes out of nowhere, completely disrupting the plot flow, and makes no fucking sense. Other times, it's not what you expect out of the genre, but it just works.
Take Hostel for example. The movie in general was fucking horrible. But with everything that had happened to the sole survivor of the trip, everything he had seen, turning things around like he did just made sense. (Survival) Horror doesn't have to end with everybody dying or left for dead. Sometimes it's a matter of fighting back rather than running away.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I loved the decent, I got to watch it a while before it hit the mainstream cinemas and it was awesome. I have watched it on DVD a number of times since as well. I am interested in the sequel however I have also read that pretty much all of the original cast are coming back - not sure how this will be worked into the story, my thinking is that its gonna be flashbacks. I'm concerned the sequel will lose all of the originals good points and favor some pointless "big scares".

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
After watching Cloverfield, and seeing its success, I think not.
Cloverfield. I thought it was horrendous and could have been great if there was actually an ending. What they could have done with those special effects and they turned it into a Blaire Witch Project wanna be.