The Dress

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Gillette, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've put this here because I want responses from a man's perspective.

If you were to see two women (twins) for the first time, one wearing a dress the other wearing jeans, might you be more attracted to one over the other?

What might your preference be based on?

2. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer New Member

I normally prefer the 'cat rolling on the beach' look, but given the choices, most likely the dress, although the fit and style of the clothes involved would factor in heavily. Jeans have just become such a 'norm' as a clothing choice (for both sexes) that the dress would probably have a better chance of catching my attention.

3. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    I think it all depends on the context - the setting and environmen - under which the initial meeting occured. A woman in a dress obviously is catering to more traditional notions of femininity whereas a woman who wears jeans is more casual and presumably action-oriented. The woman's attire, however, can either work well or backfire depending on the situation. For a night out on the town, a man would probably prefer a woman in a dress. A dress would not work, however, for a day in the country.

4. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Good points from both of you regarding style, fit and context.

For the purpose of this question I'll give the setting as being two women strolling on the sidewalk on a summer Sunday afternoon. The jeans are form-fitting but not painted on with a stretchy t-shirt as a top. The dress is sleveless, shows no cleavage, is close but not tight-fitting and falls at the knee.

And for Dreamer, *purrs*

5. Duality

Duality New Member

I agree with this - so many of us wear jeans so often that of 2 identical women, I'd definitely notice the one in dress first.

A woman in the right dress... damn! Something about the basic design of that garment is just so flattering to a woman's body in my eyes, though I can't put my finger on exactly 'why'. It's probably the same effect that the right suit can have on a guy - I know I look a lot better in one than I do in my 'day to day' clothes (which, oddly enough, contain numerous pairs of jeans).

But what do I know...

6. dwzig

dwzig Member

I would go for the dress. However, she would have to have nice stems (legs) and an expensive pair of sexy shoes. I like a well dressed woman.

7. No_Strings

Gold Member

First it would be dependant the situation - a dress while hiking or jeans at a black-tie do wouldn't go down well at all, obviously. Then it would come down the style of their clothing in particular. A tertiary condition would be how their style of clothing fits on them indivdually, which hints at what sense of style they have. :rolleyes::tongue:

If all context was taken out of the situation, I'd be physically more attracted to the one wearing a dress, and mentally more attracted to the one wearing jeans.

Yeh... that probably doesn't make much sense, but there it is. :redface:

8. ganja4me

Gold Member

Albums:
    I would probably go with the girl in the jeans.

9. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer New Member

I'm surprised that none of us jumped on the obvious Option C.

Pick 'em both up and live out the 'sex with twins' fantasy.

10. snoozan

Gold Member

if i had my way, i'd never wear jeans. they are boring. in fact, i'm a lot happier when i wear mostly dresses and am a little more dressy than jeans and a tshirt. my husband and i have talked about this a lot recently-- i didn't wear jeans for a good 3-4 years of my life because i didn't like them and i was much happier with my appearance that way. if i wore pants, i generally wore black, charcoal, or navy dress pants. i'd like to get back to that style of dress and away from the default jeans and tshirts.

the other issue that we're not addressing is personal style. a suicide girls type could wear jeans and a tshirt completely differently than a conservative mom type and they'd look completely different. for me, a lot of it depends on accessories too-- though i have no idea if that crap even registers with men.

11. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

The one in a dress. Nothing more sexy than a woman in a dress. I wouldnt even look at the one in jeans once i saw the one in the dress.:smile:

12. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

I can't see it making much difference to me. What would make a difference is that such large numbers of women seem unaware of just how bad they look in certain clothes. A decade ago 'round these parts it was the fashion to go out shopping and such in tights and short shirts - generally, not something likely to increase property values. Far too many women in tights and short shirts look like they're wearing unusually lumpy diapers. Ugh. The triumph of fashion over style is a terrible thing.

So, back to the case at hand. If either outfit simply was not right for the woman wearing it - in style, color, fit, etc - I'd consider it a negative. And I would then probably overcompensate, thinking that she's not so bad looking, it's just the clothes. And from there, matters quickly become complicated.

13. rugbyscott

rugbyscott New Member

Albums:
    I'm way UP for that idea! Now were talking.

14. whatireallywant

Gold Member

I used to ONLY wear jeans (no dresses for me!), being the tomboy that I was (and still am).

HOWEVER... I have read numerous places (including now, here) that men are more attracted to a woman wearing a dress, so now I wear dresses. I still wear jeans as well. A lot of it depends on where I'm going and what I'll be doing. I have been trying to attract men (with not much success) for many years. I'm usually just not noticed. I'm noticed a little more if I'm wearing a dress, but not all that much more.

I decided a while back to dress differently than I had been dressing up to that point. I still have many of my older clothes, as well as the newer stuff that is more "feminine" you might say. But I now have a very limited budget and am unable to buy any more new clothes. I have been unemployed off and on for over a year now. If I get my finances back in order, I will be buying more flattering, pretty clothes. (but I'll still wear my jeans too, because they're comfortable...)

15. yongdo

yongdo New Member

Albums:
    Which ever one was sexier would be the one I would be more attracted to.

Both jeans and dresses can be very attractive but they have to be the right kind of jeans or dress. The wrong kind can be unattractive.

16. earllogjam

Gold Member

My 10% says DRESS. It is much more feminine and I think that bare legs are sexier than denim. Something about the way the fabic moves on a dress is nice. The way if flows, shows off curves, the way a lady sits because of it. (that's my 90% coming out)

17. Love-it

Gold Member

Women don't need accessories, they have breasts.

quote from Gillete: "For the purpose of this question I'll give the setting as being two women strolling on the sidewalk on a summer Sunday afternoon. The jeans are form-fitting but not painted on with a stretchy t-shirt as a top. The dress is sleveless, shows no cleavage, is close but not tight-fitting and falls at the knee."

I would go for the one who is smiling.

18. cadillacdeville

cadillacdeville New Member

I would have to agree with Snoozan's response where she said she hadn't worn jeans in a number of years because she didn't like them. She said that she preferred to wear dress slacks. As I think about it, I prefer to see a woman in dress slacks over jeans as well.

But to the question of a dress over jeans, I'd have to say that whatever the situation called for. I find a woman in a dress to be very attractive.

19. yabadabadoo716

yabadabadoo716 New Member

There is just not enough girls wearing dresses. Of the most beautiful experiences a guy can treasure (and that don't make us shallow!) is a woman in a summer dress, or a complimenting gown if its for a do. (And by complimenting I do NOT mean Hollywood).
    Gowns speak for the sensuality of the particular woman wearing it and makes us go "wooow!!" when you are walking down the stairs. (a good cliche :) ).

But I think you are asking everyday wear since we are comparing with the jean. I reckon club/hot pants look way better than jeans anyway.

I agree with Big Dreamer and Duality - wear a jean and you will feel like everybody else (which is good for when thats what you want).
    But when you "got it all this morning" why not put on your favourite dress and go somewhere you like? (park? library? visit a friend? visit me? ;) )

For me, talking with a friendly girl who feels good being a woman could be the start of a major crush!

And thats my two cents :)

20. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I've thought of posting a thread similar to this myself, asking if guys preferred jeans or a skirt/dress to confirm what I've observed in real life. For every day I just fling on some jeans but if I want to impress I go for a skirt or dress ( I do have killer legs though) and a really nice skirt/dress always makes me feel much more glamorous.

Draft saved Draft deleted