The Dude from the AOL Commercial

BriefyBrighton

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I can tell that when I am in Dallas next week I will be glued to the TV looking for this commercial - heard so much about it!

Spare a thought for us non-US citizens who can't see this infamous bulge! LOL

gordeux2006

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Does anyone else hate being called "Dude"? Or is it just me?
For me; It conjours up the image of a teen, with a goatee, pimples, baseball cap on back to front, wearing a red tee-shirt and baggy pants that look like they belong to his older brother!
Call me anything you like, just don't call me late for dinner:smile: or DUDE!:rolleyes:

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Does anyone else hate being called "Dude"? Or is it just me? ...
I know that I wrote about this elsewhere, but it was a long time ago, and searching "dude" isn't that helpful. :wink:

Anyway, you'd never make it in L.A. :tongue: Most people under 50, and definitely anyone under 40, that are at least peers (it's still not a term you'd use when trying to be respectful), call each other "Dude", and gender isn't a factor either. That is, guys call girls "Dude", and girls call girls "Dude", and of course, everyone call guys "Dude" (although personally, I don't call a girl "Dude" until I'm on familiar terms with her, but typically people under 30, and definitely those under 25, don't have that hangup here). "Dude, what's up?" "Dude, that's awesome." "Dude, seriously???" Then the universal (depending on delivery and context), "D-u-u-u-de!" (meaning, "that's messed up", "awesome", or "SCORE!"). It's used as a very levelling, "we're 'cool' with each other"/"we're in this together" form of address.

Now, in L.A. that's how things are, but when I go home to the midwest, most people think I've "gone L.A.", and ask, "Do you really use that?", or in an even more shocked way, "Did you just say 'Dude'?". Then, I pretty much have to launch into the above paragraph, especially after, say, I get off the phone, and tell them, "yeah, it was this girl in L.A. that I know." :rolleyes: