The Dutch: The Netherlands or Belgium?

Speedo - Stella's not bad at all ;) bit strong maybe.

Leffe and Amstel are nice too.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media

Sorry Joll, but WHAT! Stella, strong!?! Hahahaha, naah, that is a soft beer. We always drink Stella when going out... everyone. You like Leffe, but Leffe is much stronger then Stella. Try some Duvel, that is a heavy beer :wink:

lmao - well Stella seems strong haha. Stronger than Carling or Carlsberg I think.

Leffe just..tastes nice... :)

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
lmao - well Stella seems strong haha. Stronger than Carling or Carlsberg I think.

Leffe just..tastes nice... :)

Hahaha, Carling, Carlsberg or Heineken, that is all sewerwater :rolleyes: Really not good. So in that case, Stella is stronger.

But Leffe is already a few grades stronger then Stella, and Duvel more and there is Chimay and so many others! :smile:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
God, you are horrible.
Hah! I let you get away with a superfluous comma and an entirely incorrect period, Nikh.
Hah!

Hah!

Stella has the potency of distilled water.
Now Leffe ... you're startin' to talk beer, joll.

... Leffe is already a few grades stronger then Stella, and Duvel more and there is Chimay and so many others! :smile:

Chimay bleue was my favorite Belgian beer, half a lifetime ago in Aix-en-Provence.
Between Chimay bleue and pieterjoke, Belgium has some fine exports.

Hahaha, Carling, Carlsberg or Heineken, that is all sewerwater :rolleyes: Really not good. So in that case, Stella is stronger.

But Leffe is already a few grades stronger then Stella, and Duvel more and there is Chimay and so many others! :smile:

Lol -I love a nice pint of sewerwater when I'm down the Pub watching a match, haha. :p

Lol Rubi. :)

spunkyboy2008

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Interestingly Dutch is the official language of Suriname and is the most widely understood language in Namibia, as well as being official in S. Africa.

Dutch isn't spoken in Namibia or South Africa anymore except by Dutch immigrants, but the Afrikaans language is. It is descended mainly from Dutch. Because I know some Afrikaans I can understand written Dutch a bit, but spoken Dutch is more difficult because the pronunciation differs more I think.

For a sample:

Uitsaaines (online radio station) Uitsaaines :: Powered By JBServers.net

Wikipedia in Afrikaans: Wikipedia

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
Dutch isn't spoken in Namibia or South Africa anymore except by Dutch immigrants, but the Afrikaans language is. It is descended mainly from Dutch. Because I know some Afrikaans I can understand written Dutch a bit, but spoken Dutch is more difficult because the pronunciation differs more I think.

For a sample:

Uitsaaines (online radio station) Uitsaaines :: Powered By JBServers.net

Wikipedia in Afrikaans: Wikipedia

Correct, if people who speak Dutch talk too people who speak Afrikaans, they can understand each other. But there are major differences. And like said here above, Dutch language is hard to talk because the pronuncation.

Belgium had Congo as colony for a really long time, Dutch and French were teached there. But since less then 50 years Congo isn't a colony anymore of Belgium, but they speak mainly French there and also Dutch.

spunkyboy2008

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
It's mainly the vowels that are different, even though they are written the same. Eg when Dutch speaker says boot (boat) or buit (booty) it sounds to me like bout, neus (nose) sounds like nous, eet sounds like eit/yt etc.

My pet hate, a small one that really annoys me, is the use of Belgium instead of Belgian. For example if someone says "She was a Belgium".

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
It's mainly the vowels that are different, even though they are written the same. Eg when Dutch speaker says boot (boat) or buit (booty) it sounds to me like bout, neus (nose) sounds like nous, eet sounds like eit/yt etc.

My pet hate, a small one that really annoys me, is the use of Belgium instead of Belgian. For example if someone says "She was a Belgium".

Lol, the word buit I don't know, I know what booty is, but buit, no idea :rolleyes:
But you are right, we pronounce the vowels different.

And yeah, I hate it also when people don't call us Belgians... :biggrin1:

And yeah, I hate it also when people don't call us Belgians... :biggrin1:

That is annoying. They sell Haagen Dazs ice-cream down our kebab shop, and one of the flavours is listed as 'Belgium Chocolate'. :rolleyes:

spunkyboy2008

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

Gl3nn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Buit is indeed the same as booty. It's a word mainly used in The Netherlands, but it exists in Belgium as well.

And count me in for using Belgian/Belgium. It's really not that difficult.

patrick_17

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Nono, not much of a difference. In The Netherlands they use some different words and have a typical accent. Like Drifterwood used in his post here on this thread, the Dutch in The Netherlands use a lot of 'sh'-sounds. For example to use an easy word: we would say simple, in The Netherlands they would say shimple (I took this word because it's quite alike like the Dutch word) :smile:.

I have to disagree a little bit with you here Pieter. :wink:
Most of us in the Netherlands actually would not say shimple but simple just like you guys. The ones that use the "sh"-sounds are mainly the people from Amsterdam. (and other places in that area)