The Earthquake Lady

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The big one is coming to California, seismologist Lucy Jones says cheerfully

Those who live outside of Southern California may have never heard of her, but for we who call SoCal's occasionally rock-and-rolling soil beneath our feet home know Dr. Lucy Jones as The Earthquake Lady. Her age is listed as 64; she holds a Ph.D. in geophysics from MIT and a minor in plate tectonic movie and theater showmanship.

I recall as far back as junior high, whenever there was so much as a tiniest rumble out in a remote stretch of cactus and sand dune laden Mojave desert, our local news outlets would race over to Pasadena to interview Jones for an introductory lesson in geomorphology. Historically most scientists have the personality makeup of fried zucchini but Lucy, barely over five-feet tall, had such enthusiasm for the subject she could make strike-slip and thrust faults sound as interesting as game seven of the MLB World Series. Most institutions of higher learning would kill for a member of their faculty like her. In college I took a geology course my junior year and remember that assistant professor had a monotone delivery that could cure terminal insomnia.

During larger earthquakes like the 1994 Northridge or more recent moderate tremblers, Lucy has increasingly taken on an almost eerie role as ultimate patron saint of everything geophysically related to the public's psyche. In other words, Lucy Jones at Cal Tech is the single authority and assurance to avoid utter mass panic when a phalanx of microphones are thrust in her face: Please tell us Lucy, is the Big One coming?! The only correlation harkens back to the old TV show Adventures of Superman when reporters would gather around Professor Pepperwinkle and ask him if an asteroid was about to hit planet Earth.

Lucy supposedly retired from the U.S. Geological Survey two years ago, leaving her media position to lesser charismatic science dweebs at Cal Tech, the kind who manage to make a 9.0 earthquake and tsunami off Japan as exciting as watching your morning coffee drip into the carafe. Retirement didn't last long. Yesterday on the 4th of July, at 10:30 am when Southern Californians felt an unmistaken undulating motion of long-term S waves radiating out from a distant 6.4 earthquake, the news conference was held-up until they could call Lucy at her house and tell her to get her butt over to Cal Tech.

It's a proven fact that you cannot have an earthquake without Lucy!!!

Last edited:

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Yeah, yeah, yeah.

The reason why the Solomon Islands are sinking is because the Pacific Plate is moving under the Australasian plate.
di-8693-gns.jpg
This means on the other side of the pacific the rift is becoming wider.

The Solomon Isles sit on the Pacific plate and are sliding under...........Science fact. So the plate on the US side is also changing...Science fact........Yes....The big one is coming.

Why one Tectonic plate slides under the other is the Austral plate is a denser and more hard rock. Science.

Reactions: thirteenbyseven

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's a proven fact that you cannot have an earthquake without Lucy!!!

Wow, somebody's gotta do something about that lady then!

;)

Hope everything's settled down for you. Sounds so scary. I was in Santa Rosa and experienced something like a three-point-something, and that scared the beejeebers out of me!

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, yeah, yeah.

The reason why the Solomon Islands are sinking is because the Pacific Plate is moving under the Australasian plate.
di-8693-gns.jpg
This means on the other side of the pacific the rift is becoming wider.

The Solomon Isles sit on the Pacific plate and are sliding under...........Science fact. So the plate on the US side is also changing...Science fact........Yes....The big one is coming.

Why one Tectonic plate slides under the other is the Austral plate is a denser and more hard rock. Science.

You are 100% correct. In my study are aging college text books...... and an autographed book by none other than Dr. Lucy Jones titled: Big Ones: How Natural Disasters Have Shaped Us. She's recently been on a small book tour over here meeting her "fans". ;)

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Wow, somebody's gotta do something about that lady then!

;)

Hope everything's settled down for you. Sounds so scary. I was in Santa Rosa and experienced something like a three-point-something, and that scared the beejeebers out of me!

Being unpredictable is the spice of life EP :) Think there are enough "Size" mologists here already :)

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Todays largest Earthquakes..........well, as you can see, mostly in California. Map of Earthquakes Today

Not Judy......Seismology.

Seventiesdemon, in 1994 I was just out of college and flying a charter the morning the famous 6.7 Northridge quake hit. However, I've been through quite a few. Here in Orange County, south of Los Angeles, the Puente Hills fault has produced some of the strongest felt by us. The moderate 5.9 Whittier quake in 1989 and more recently the 5.1 La Habra earthquake in 2014 were close enough to send-out sharp P Wave jolts that really sent loose items flying off the shelves.

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Seventiesdemon, in 1994 I was just out of college and flying a charter the morning the famous 6.7 Northridge quake hit. However, I've been through quite a few. Here in Orange County, south of Los Angeles, the Puente Hills fault has produced some of the strongest felt by us. The moderate 5.9 Whittier quake in 1989 and more recently the 5.1 La Habra earthquake in 2014 were close enough to send-out sharp P Wave jolts that really sent loose items flying off the shelves.

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
7.1 Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Southern California

"Lucy is going to be one busy woman tonight, I fear." -- A KNX 1070 news radio reporter.

At least one of our news outlets have raised Dr. Lucy Jones to the level of Earthquake Czar. Everyone else have dropped her last name, so like Elvis and Cher she is simply known as Lucy. At a hastily arranged news conference at Cal Tech last night she strode to the microphone and quipped, "remember when I said there was a 1 in 20 chance there would be a larger earthquake than 6.4 in the coming days? Well this was the 20th chance."

On TV we were watching the Dodgers game out at Chavez Ravine. The announcers, Davis and Hershiser, immediately began discussing it while viewers could see the cameras shaking and posts swaying. On the field the players kept playing. Down south in Newport Beach, over a hundred-fifty miles away from the epicenter, our water in the pool sloshed and we could feel a slightly stronger rolling sensation for an extended period of time, but little else.

Meanwhile up at Cal Tech in Pasadena, Lucy has called-up some reinforcements. His name is Bob and he can speak on-camera without the viewer cringing, so this is a big improvement. They are going to be giving another live news update in a few hours to talk about the swarm of aftershocks.......and that 11% possibility of an even bigger earthquake than the 7.1 magnitude earthquake that stuck last night.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Funny how we in Socal grew up with Lucy. Remember years back when she showed up with her baby in her arms during a quake new conference? I do enjoy watching folks explain things in a way that we all can understand.

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Funny how we in Socal grew up with Lucy. Remember years back when she showed up with her baby in her arms during a quake new conference? I do enjoy watching folks explain things in a way that we all can understand.

Up in Chatsworth you must have felt the 7.1 much more strongly than we did.

Reactions: BillM

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Up in Chatsworth you must have felt the 7.1 much more strongly than we did.
Given is was in Ridgecrest, it rolled more than shook. Lasted 30 seconds I think which seemed like a long time. I lived in Van Nuys for the 94 quake. Now that was a different beast! Shook violently. I had to go under my home and strap some beams to footings after that one. I'm sure in Ridgecrest is was similar. I saw the video of a mobile home that was destroyed there.

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
7.1 Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Southern California

"Lucy is going to be one busy woman tonight, I fear." -- A KNX 1070 news radio reporter.

At least one of our news outlets have raised Dr. Lucy Jones to the level of Earthquake Czar. Everyone else have dropped her last name, so like Elvis and Cher she is simply known as Lucy. At a hastily arranged news conference at Cal Tech last night she strode to the microphone and quipped, "remember when I said there was a 1 in 20 chance there would be a larger earthquake than 6.4 in the coming days? Well this was the 20th chance."

On TV we were watching the Dodgers game out at Chavez Ravine. The announcers, Davis and Hershiser, immediately began discussing it while viewers could see the cameras shaking and posts swaying. On the field the players kept playing. Down south in Newport Beach, over a hundred-fifty miles away from the epicenter, our water in the pool sloshed and we could feel a slightly stronger rolling sensation for an extended period of time, but little else.

Meanwhile up at Cal Tech in Pasadena, Lucy has called-up some reinforcements. His name is Bob and he can speak on-camera without the viewer cringing, so this is a big improvement. They are going to be giving another live news update in a few hours to talk about the swarm of aftershocks.......and that 11% possibility of an even bigger earthquake than the 7.1 magnitude earthquake that stuck last night.

Lucy is lucky..............predictions of the end have been going on since the beginning. It's going to happen some time, just so happens we are overdue, due to historical data.

The Earth is a schizo place. It will never be predictable. And who likes being predictable?

I just farted..........I had about a 2 second warning. Can Lucy predict her farts?