The Empty Pursuit of Happiness

bluekarma

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I also live a guilt free life. I think carefully about my decisions so that afterwards, there are no (or few, if any) regrets. I don't allow others to tear me down by making me feel bad about my good choices simply because they do not agree with them. Most of society are not comfortable enough with themselves to make independent decisions. It's sad. My choices work for me and those I care for, so how can they be bad, really?

Lex said a lot of really amazing things in this thread (as did many of you)...but this one piece of his post rang SO true for me. I am happier now than I've ever been in my life, and I can say that with utmost certainty. Previously I could say it, and sort of mean it, for certain aspects. Mostly as a facade to the outside world so that they couldn't see how truly miserable I was on the inside. And maybe if they didn't see it, somehow it wasn't true. At any rate, part of becoming a happier person was letting go of a TON of guilt. Guilt is an ugly nasty thing that can weigh you down SO much. And I had plenty. Guilt is associated with another common downfall mentioned in this thread and that is the need to please others, trying to live up to expectations others set, trying to be accepted by others. All of those things really only set you up for feelings of despair and guilt, just a multitude of negative self defeating thought patterns. I became truly happy when I decided to do something about my guilt. I decided to think of all the things I felt guilty about. Some of them were things I could change, and if I could, I did. Actually taking action and DOING something was monumental. It gave me power, it gave me confidence and it reinforced the fact that I was in control of MY happiness. After I did this I realized the rest of the things I felt guilty about were indeed ideas or expectations that OTHERS imposed upon me. These were easy to deal with once I figured out "Hello! It's YOUR life YOUR happiness....to HELL with what THEY expect of you". I am doing all the things I always dreamed of doing with my life. I'm bonding with my daughter and parenting her as a happy self motivated STRONG woman. I am making decisions for my life based on what I believe and want. I'm no longer this scared, indecisive little girl trapped inside her own mind... reaching for the things she knows will set her free, but too afraid to grab them based on what others may think. I know happiness comes from different places for different people. I've merely shared what melted away years of bitter unhappiness for me. I'll admit I am on medication, and I do go to therapy, but I strongly believe that working through these issues and TRUSTING myself has much to do with my positive views on life now. To be productive in this life, is to grow and chase your dreams, to dream and pursue your idea of happiness you MUST have a positive vision. I have that positive vision, I know nothing can stand in my way, because I am in charge. I believe this is truly what makes me happy.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Or movies--remember Logan's Run?? (Earlier than MTV, even . . .)

Yes, that movie was shot in a shopping mall. God. I remember those bb's running thru the plastic tubes to simulate their transport system.

Sanctuary. Where is Sanctuary? I guess if you remember that movie your red light in your palm when dead already and you are overdue for Carousel. Everyone was happy there though. :smile:

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
For 30 years I had pretended not to care what people thought, when I secretly lusted acceptance.
Same here. It's very liberating when you stop worrying about how others' perceive you.
And once you know that you are a worthy person, you live your life with true integrity. Integrity is the value you place on yourself.
Quoted for truth.
I also live a guilt free life.
I was just talking to someone on this site about this very subject. Guilt is a useless emotion. People equate it with remorse which is altogether different.
I hope some of this makes sense. I am fresh from the gym and it is 6:45 AM.
:eek: Just reading that made me tired.

djpeh

Just Browsing
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Sanctuary. Where is Sanctuary? I guess if you remember that movie your red light in your palm when dead already and you are overdue for Carousel. Everyone was happy there though. :smile:
Nah, I'd look like shit in one of those red and white jumpsuits . . . Not to mention the horror of all that pastel acetate everyone else was wearing . . .

:scared2:

Happiness is rubbing your dog (or partner, or, possibly, cat) behind the ears . . .

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Same here. It's very liberating when you stop worrying about how others' perceive you.
I have never felt a truer sense of freedom.

I was just talking to someone on this site about this very subject. Guilt is a useless emotion. People equate it with remorse which is altogether different...

Yes, guilt it totally useless. It is an emotion that people use to attempt to control you. I can't be guilted into anything.

If I feel remorseful, it is NOT because I feel guilty.

dannymawg

Experimental Member
Media

Were they? Carousel is a lie!

On the other hand, for their happiness they had 1) The Circuit - the 1976 vision of internet dating, and 2) that sex club in the mall, which I can't find footage of.

Earl? Maybe instead of Sanctuary, what you need to be happy is the "sleep center" in Soylent Green :tongue:

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
On the other hand, for their happiness they had 1) The Circuit - the 1976 vision of internet dating, and 2) that sex club in the mall, which I can't find footage of.

See they were happy there. I wish I had a dial up service like that circuit machine. Funny how he rejected the first one that came out.

Earl? Maybe instead of Sanctuary, what you need to be happy is the "sleep center" in Soylent Green :tongue:

Hmmmmm. Food for thought. :rolleyes: Do you get to choose what color soylent you be?