The end for soap operas? AMC and OLTL...discuss..

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by elegant20, Apr 15, 2011.

1. elegant20

Gold Member

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I'm of two minds about this. When these programs started the target audience was obviously people who were home during the day; but with technology you could record them and watch it at your convenience. I think for many people the drama of the real world eclipsed the daytime stories.
    I helped pay for law school by appearing as a recurring character on a show called "The Edge Of Night." It was a wonderful experience and I met some lovely people... but just like AMC and OLTL it had been on for so long that they were out of ideas for stories and had dropping viewership.
    ABC moved AMC to LA and OLTL to NY last year in hopes of reviving their ratings, it's a shame it did not work.
    I wonder if I'll be seeing Susan Lucci in South Hampton this summer in her MuMu?

#2 nudeyorker, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  3. BiItalianBro

Gold Member

It is sad to see any pop culture icon die...but IMHO the soap genre was kill by the aforementioned shift in demographics...technology and reality TV. Networks and producers love reality TV as there are very few writers needed...the 'talent' does not demand large salaries and contractual entanglements and the world is your soundstage.

4. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Plus, with "Reality Shows"*, they can put the most awful, stenchified crap on the air and a certain "demographic" will eat it up as if it were the sweetest nectar.

* Such a hilarious misnomer

5. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    oh my gosh, you're Forrest Compton (Mike Karr, Edge.of Night..) Unless you're Larkin Malloy.

OLTL went to the former AMC studios when AMC headed west but have always been a NYC based show.

Watched AMC, OLTL and Edge at times. Took up OLTL again when placed under review, helped pass the time.

6. BiItalianBro

Gold Member

BRAHAHAHA.....i know, right? :tongue:
    RTV is not my thing (neither are soaps) .....but to each his own. At the end of the day its all about $$$$. Hell...i have a hard time watching 'House' reruns on Bravo because I have to put it on mute when they plug 'Real Housewives' of OC/DC/ATL/NY/Omaha/Gainsville/Bozeman, etc.

#6 BiItalianBro, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  7. elegant20

Gold Member

You think the other soaps(The Bold and The Beauitful, The Young and The Restless, General Hospital, etc.) would follow the same faith as OLTL and AMC? I personally think in a year or two that these soaps would disappear as well. They all appeared during a time when the Internet was not ready or available at least.

8. BiItalianBro

Gold Member

Does anything think that soaps will go on...just in a different medium? I wonder if the the demo is there to support soaps on cable or even as a webisode.

#8 BiItalianBro, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  9. D_Fizzy Cola Bottles

Albums:
    I think there might be interest in a soap opera that is meant to go on for a definitive amount of time. Like to run for 3 or 4 years. Not go on indefinately. People could still get into the over the top story lines but there would be closure. That could really work.

Maybe a soap opera running on a specific theme. Like a Twin Peaks type thing. Where over the course of several years the viewer is trying to figure out who killed who and is the victim really dead or just hidden in a cave somewhere, etc. You know how they do in soap opera land.

10. nudeyorker

Gold Member

11. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree the demographic still exists and think that if the show is good, people would watch. Coronation Street, the only soap I could ever get into, just celebrated it's 51st anniversary and is still going strong. I read somewhere that the commercial success of C.S. was the main reason that ITV survived in the 1960's.

12. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Hmmm.
    Did you know a Mrs. Whitney?
    Or maybe I've got my soaps mixed up.

13. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Yes you have the right one. I did know Mrs. Whitney! However I only did 14 episodes over the course of a couple of years... I was summer filler.

14. elegant20

Gold Member

How come the U.K soaps has a very strong sucessful run at the end while US soaps suffer the most? Is it politics or what?

It reminds me of a old saying that goes something like, "It's nothing personal. It's just business." And the people trying to save soaps...well, everything change. People are working now than they were back in the 60s or 70s...it is no longer acceptable to watch the same ol' same ol'.

15. ronin001

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was so in Love with All My Children that I remember cutting school to see it

16. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I have really put off saying this... but... I think in the beginning the ideal demographic for daytime drama were housewives who did not have a life outside the home and her family and she was able to live vicariously through "The Stories" everyday. The story lines were very careful to deal with the issues that were in the headlines or the lead story on the nightly news... but it was done in a way that was like it was happening to family or friends; eventually students and unemployed people got to escape their otherwise inexperienced and naive lives.
    Then somewhere in the mid 80's people were able to tape the programs and watch them at their convenience because despite what was happening in their lives they could escape to a fictional city and the drama of other peoples dysfunctional lives; and it made them feel better about themselves.
    But as people became more experienced and worldly wise the daytime dramas were no longer an escape or a crutch but an example that the stories were a shallow empty shell of a false reality compared to what people were actually dealing with as they were facing foreclosure, unemployment, end of life issues and all of the other problems that can not be neatly written into a 60 minute drama.
    Because of the internet everyone knows that Susan Lucci is earning more in a year than most of them will make in a lifetime and I don't think they support her or identify with her anymore because the real world has been such a challenge in the 21st century the daytime drama world has not been able to fill the void as it did in the past.
    I'm afraid that most viewers think the soaps are cartoons compared to what they have to deal with day in and day out. It's the end of an era; I'm afraid that most people feel better about themselves watching "The Real Housewives of________" because either they aspire to that or they have not yet stooped to that level of hell.

Draft saved Draft deleted