The end of "Lost"

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Anyone reading this who has not seen the end of the TV show "Lost" please be aware that this thread will most likely contain plenty of spoilers. Read on at your own peril!

I downloaded the final two episodes this morning and it took absolutely ages, thousands of people were trying to all download them at once and a file which would normally take 30 minutes at most took me over 5 hours today. Needless to say I was itching to see the last episodes!

So what did you all think? Were you happy with the ending? I have been a devoted Lost fan right from the get go and I was really pleased and satisfied with how things concluded. There were a few plot holes here and there but overall I thought it ended really well. I'm sad to see it go, but I am glad it ended so well.

Also, I'm loving New York Magazines tribute to the shirtless men of Lost!

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Last edited:

Brensta

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I realised half way through Season 6 that if you were clinging to answers, you weren't going to get them. When I looked at the finale as character resolution rather than the answers, I loved it. I've always been a fan of leaving things up to interpretation, and I think they have you enough to do that

Daisy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It was OK, I wouldve really liked more answers. It was kind of a nice emotional ending though, even if it was vague. I am seriously going to miss this show. It was, by far the best show ever on TV! Im actually feeling bummed today!

B_hijack

Experimental Member
Media
I didn't expect everything to be answered, but I was disappointed with a few things that were presented conspicuously in the show but never explained:

• How did the polar bears get on the tropical island?
  • How was a polar bear with the Dharma tag found in a desert?
  • How did Jacob's mother know about the light (its purpose and meaning)?
  • Where did the black smoke come from? I know that it was Jacob's brother, but how did it get there in the first place?
  • How and why did Hurley know those numbers?
  • Didn't Jacks father live in a secluded house on the Island? How did he get there?
  • How did Jacob get to America (let alone travel back in time to meet the younger castaways)? His brother couldn't leave the island, so how could he?
  • Why couldn't Jacob and his brother kill each other directly?
  • How could Jack end up killing John if he... uh... couldn't kill him?
  • Why was Desmond immune to radiation and how did he get his premonition abilities?
  • How did Miles get his abilities?
  • Who built the ancient society and the wheel that Ben turned (which time-shifted the island)?
  • Why did VHF sound hurt the black cloud?
  • How did that pool in that temple heal people? Why didn't it heal Sayid properly?
  • Why was avoiding the Oceanic crash the cure-all in the finale? There were other castaways on the island (before and after Oceanic), so why was this group more important?
  • Where the hell did that plane come from? I mean the big one.
  • How did John always know everything about the Island, why he could walk, what the smoke was, etc.?
I could go on and on. I need a Dharma beer.

Hmm, damn I wanted someone to tell me what happened!

I got lost after series 4 or 5 when Jack n Kate went back home after Jin got blown up on the ship. :(
Plus, after Anna Lucia turned up in Avatar, it confused me. ;)

Does DGirl get married to Jim Robinson in the finale?

Last edited by a moderator:

hunkydory

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I thought it was awful - I have seen at least 2 dozen tv shows / movies over the years with that theme - people who were dead but didn't know it and needed to find out with the help of others etc. etc. - I thought it was as lame and formulaic as you could end a show. Plus the writing was lame too.

JF

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Taken there by Dharma - they lived in the cages that Sawyer & Kate we held in.
It escaped through one of the portals off the island - and ended up in the desert like Ben & Locke when they turned the wheel
She mentioned her mother, who probably held the position before her, though I don't know how she got there
  • Where did the black smoke come from? I know that it was Jacob's brother, but how did it get there in the first place?
It seemed to be the malevolent spirit of Jacob's brother, separated from his dead body
He heard them from a resident in the assylum when he was there initially.
  • Didn't Jacks father live in a secluded house on the Island? How did he get there?
Jack's father was dead, but since his body was on the island Smokey admitted he appeared as Christian to initially lead ther 815 survivors to fresh water in the cave, and then subsequently to appear to Claire.
  • How did Jacob get to America (let alone travel back in time to meet the younger castaways)? His brother couldn't leave the island, so how could he?
This was never disclosed, though he could have used the wheel like others did ?
'Mother' said she had made it that way - and since she was a keeper of the island, she had 'powers' that could enable her to do this.
When Desmond caused the light to extinguish, Jack & Smokey (inhabiting Locke's body) ceased to be protected by whatever 'Mother' had done - they both bled after their initial skirmish to show this.
  • Why was Desmond immune to radiation and how did he get his premonition abilities?
Dunno
Dunno
  • Who built the ancient society and the wheel that Ben turned (which time-shifted the island)?
Jacob's brother was seen in the dug-it well with the wheel in the background, but he never finished installing it. The well was subsequently filled in by 'Mother' but Jacob could have finished it.
Dunno
  • How did that pool in that temple heal people? Why didn't it heal Sayid properly?
The pool glowed similar to the Source (in the cave protected by the Keeper), so had some of the 'life' posessed by the water. Dogen said the water was not like it usually was, and so could have been posessed by Smokey so he could bring Sayid back from the dead ?
  • Why was avoiding the Oceanic crash the cure-all in the finale? There were other castaways on the island (before and after Oceanic), so why was this group more important?
They didn't avoid the crash - the alterntive time line was what happened after they died (at whatever time during or long after the timescale of the 6 seasons of the show). The Oceanic group were carefully assembled by Jacob who engineered the situation so the plane would crash and they could be tested as candidates.
The Ajira flight was used by the Oceanic 6 to return to the island, and was flown by Frank Lupidis, who conveniently survived to fly it away.
  • How did John always know everything about the Island, why he could walk, what the smoke was, etc.?
The script was written that way ?

B_hijack

Experimental Member
Media
Thanks, JF. But your answers beg a few more questions, but I'll focus on one:

They didn't avoid the crash - the alterntive time line was what happened after they died (at whatever time during or long after the timescale of the 6 seasons of the show). The Oceanic group were carefully assembled by Jacob who engineered the situation so the plane would crash and they could be tested as candidates.

The very ending showed Jack opening his eyes to see the plane fly over the Island. This seemed to be the climax; the plane didn't crash and things picked up where they left off 6 years ago. I think that the Source is what caused the plane to crash, and snuffing it out allowed the plane to fly past.

Just a thought.

The script was written that way ?
Smart arse.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I didn't expect everything to be answered, but I was disappointed with a few things that were presented conspicuously in the show but never explained:

I could go on and on. I need a Dharma beer.

How did the polar bears get on the tropical island?
brought to the island by the darma initiative

How was a polar bear with the Dharma tag found in a desert?
I assume they transported the animal via the machine John filled with metal objects which were not suppose to have metal objects put in.

How did Jacob's mother know about the light (its purpose and meaning)?
Not much said about that women

How and why did Hurley know those numbers?
Those were the numbers he selected for the lottery he won.

Didn't Jacks father live in a secluded house on the Island? How did he get there?
Jack's father only appeared when the man in black appeared in his image, Jacob lived in a shack.

Where did the black smoke come from? I know that it was Jacob's brother, but how did it get there in the first place?
The black smoke was the man in black's true form after he was thrown in the light by Jacob

How did Jacob get to America (let alone travel back in time to meet the younger castaways)? His brother couldn't leave the island, so how could he?
Jacob didn't travel back in time he and his brother lived for 2000 years, I think it was only the man in black that couldn't leave the island.

Why couldn't Jacob and his brother kill each other directly?
Because there mother made it so they couldn't like Jacob made it so Richard would live forever.

How could Jack end up killing John if he... uh... couldn't kill him?
Jack was able to kill John because the light was off after Desmond removed the stone from the center of the pool.

Some one else can handle the rest

Last edited:

scotchirish

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The very ending showed Jack opening his eyes to see the plane fly over the Island. This seemed to be the climax; the plane didn't crash and things picked up where they left off 6 years ago. I think that the Source is what caused the plane to crash, and snuffing it out allowed the plane to fly past.

I thought that was the second plane leaving the island

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I thought it was awful - I have seen at least 2 dozen tv shows / movies over the years with that theme - people who were dead but didn't know it and needed to find out with the help of others etc. etc. - I thought it was as lame and formulaic as you could end a show. Plus the writing was lame too.

I agree. I thought it was a cop out on so many levels. The end scene was beautiful in itself and everyone in a church...but is was just all over the place on the whole.

JF

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

Just a thought.

I also thought it was the Ajira flight leaving the island. Rose & Bernard weren't on board (nor were Ben & Hurley) but they all made it to the gathering.

Smart arse.

Thanks - I tried :wink:

Now i want to see Rose & Bernard on Hurley's happy-funtime island as a spin-off .