Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Originally posted by db03@May 22 2005, 11:56 AM
Anyone see it this year?

Greece won.
[post=313586]Quoted post[/post]​

No, I did not... Watched Canne's "Palme d'Or"...

lacsap1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It was shit !!

With so many Eastern European countries involved the contest has become so biased to these countries voting for other each other.
The voting is so political that the whole event becomes pointless.
If they want to make it just about the singing, don't reveal the nationalities of the acts until after the voting closes!

And all ties Eastern European countries are crazy about gipsy music with alot of drums ??

Malta and Israel where the real thing, that's what singing about...

http://www.eurovision.tv/english/scoreboar...oard_final.html
Scoreboard Eurovision

lacsap1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by Dr. Dilznick@May 22 2005, 05:12 PM
Since when is Israel in Europe? I'd love to hear that argument. ;)
[post=313657]Quoted post[/post]​

I've lost track of the number of times that bright sparks have said "Why is Israel in Eurovision? It's not even part of Europe!"
Unfortunately, it's difficult to reply to some one out of greater europe but the answer is simple: It's a member of the European Broadcasting Union, so it doesn't actually matter where the country is.

Nevertheless, despite not being in Europe, Israel's record in the contest is rather good, winning three times in 1978 ('A Ba Ni Bi'), 1979 ('Hallelujah') and 1998. The most recent of these victories was by the splendid Dana International with "Diva".

The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) is the largest professional association of national broadcasters in the world. The Union has 72 active Members in 52 countries of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. The EBU was founded in February 1950 by western European radio and television broadcasters. At its office in Brussels, the EBU represents the interests of public service broadcasters vis-à-vis the European institutions.

MEMBRES ACTIFS / ACTIVE MEMBERS:
ANDORRE/ANDORRA
ALBANIE/ALBANIA
AUTRICHE/AUSTRIA
BOSNIE-HERZEGOVINE/BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA
BELGIQUE/BELGIUM
BULGARIE/BULGARIA
BÉLARUS/BELARUS
SUISSE/SWITZERLAND
SERBIE ET MONTÉNÉGRO/SERBIA AND MONTENEGRO
CHYPRE/CYPRUS
REPUBLIQUE TCHEQUE/CZECH REPUBLIC
ALLEMAGNE/GERMANY
DANEMARK/DENMARK
ALGERIE/ALGERIA
ESTONIE/ESTONIA
EGYPTE/EGYPT
ESPAGNE/SPAIN
FINLANDE/FINLAND
FRANCE/FRANCE
ROYAUME-UNI/UNITED KINGDOM
GRECE/GREECE
CROATIE/CROATIA
HONGRIE/HUNGARY
IRLANDE/IRELAND
ISRAEL/ISRAEL
ISLANDE/ICELAND
ITALIE/ITALY
JORDANIE/JORDAN
LIBAN/LEBANON
LITHUANIE/LITHUANIA
LUXEMBOURG/LUXEMBURG
LETTONIE/LATVIA
LIBYENNE, JAMAHIRIYA ARABE/LIBYA ARAB JAMAHIRIYA
MAROC/MOROCCO
MONACO/MONACO
MOLDOVA/MOLDOVA
EX-REP. YOUG. DE MACEDOINE/FORMER YUG. REP. OF MACEDONIA
MALTE/MALTA
PAYS-BAS/NETHERLANDS
NORVEGE/NORWAY
POLOGNE/POLAND
PORTUGAL/PORTUGAL
ROUMANIE/ROMANIA
RUSSIE (FEDERATION DE)/RUSSIAN FEDERATION
SUEDE/SWEDEN
SLOVENIE/SLOVENIA
SLOVAQUIE/SLOVAKIA
SAINT-MARIN/SAN MARINO
TUNISIE/TUNISIA
TURQUIE/TURKEY
UKRAINE/UKRAINE
CITE DU VATICAN/VATICAN CITY STATE

As you can see, there are some countries "questionable" as being European....

Dutch Couple:
Originally posted by lacsap1+May 22 2005, 10:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lacsap1 &#064; May 22 2005, 10:34 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dr. Dilznick@May 22 2005, 05:12 PM
Since when is Israel in Europe? I&#39;d love to hear that argument. ;)
[post=313657]Quoted post[/post]​

I&#39;ve lost track of the number of times that bright sparks have said "Why is Israel in Eurovision? It&#39;s not even part of Europe&#33;"
Unfortunately, it&#39;s difficult to reply to some one out of greater europe but the answer is simple: It&#39;s a member of the European Broadcasting Union, so it doesn&#39;t actually matter where the country is.

Nevertheless, despite not being in Europe, Israel&#39;s record in the contest is rather good, winning three times in 1978 (&#39;A Ba Ni Bi&#39;), 1979 (&#39;Hallelujah&#39;) and 1998. The most recent of these victories was by the splendid Dana International with "Diva".

The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) is the largest professional association of national broadcasters in the world. The Union has 72 active Members in 52 countries of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. The EBU was founded in February 1950 by western European radio and television broadcasters. At its office in Brussels, the EBU represents the interests of public service broadcasters vis-à-vis the European institutions.

MEMBRES ACTIFS / ACTIVE MEMBERS:
ANDORRE/ANDORRA
ALBANIE/ALBANIA
AUTRICHE/AUSTRIA
BOSNIE-HERZEGOVINE/BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA
BELGIQUE/BELGIUM
BULGARIE/BULGARIA
BÉLARUS/BELARUS
SUISSE/SWITZERLAND
SERBIE ET MONTÉNÉGRO/SERBIA AND MONTENEGRO
CHYPRE/CYPRUS
REPUBLIQUE TCHEQUE/CZECH REPUBLIC
ALLEMAGNE/GERMANY
DANEMARK/DENMARK
ALGERIE/ALGERIA
ESTONIE/ESTONIA
EGYPTE/EGYPT
ESPAGNE/SPAIN
FINLANDE/FINLAND
FRANCE/FRANCE
ROYAUME-UNI/UNITED KINGDOM
GRECE/GREECE
CROATIE/CROATIA
HONGRIE/HUNGARY
IRLANDE/IRELAND
ISRAEL/ISRAEL
ISLANDE/ICELAND
ITALIE/ITALY
JORDANIE/JORDAN
LIBAN/LEBANON
LITHUANIE/LITHUANIA
LUXEMBOURG/LUXEMBURG
LETTONIE/LATVIA
LIBYENNE, JAMAHIRIYA ARABE/LIBYA ARAB JAMAHIRIYA
MAROC/MOROCCO
MONACO/MONACO
MOLDOVA/MOLDOVA
EX-REP. YOUG. DE MACEDOINE/FORMER YUG. REP. OF MACEDONIA
MALTE/MALTA
PAYS-BAS/NETHERLANDS
NORVEGE/NORWAY
POLOGNE/POLAND
PORTUGAL/PORTUGAL
ROUMANIE/ROMANIA
RUSSIE (FEDERATION DE)/RUSSIAN FEDERATION
SUEDE/SWEDEN
SLOVENIE/SLOVENIA
SLOVAQUIE/SLOVAKIA
SAINT-MARIN/SAN MARINO
TUNISIE/TUNISIA
TURQUIE/TURKEY
UKRAINE/UKRAINE
CITE DU VATICAN/VATICAN CITY STATE

As you can see, there are some countries "questionable" as being European....
[post=313712]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
We watched the program as well , and it sure is all political ..befriended countries giving eachother the highest points , and because one country washes the hands of another , they will keep doing that.
There are even prerounds , but there are a few countries which will always compete in this ..dont ask me why - itsnt that politics to :)
Anyway , stop wasting money and end this nonsence ...rather read a book then this politically incorrect crap :)

new members john and carla by the way - Holland

major_7

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@May 22 2005, 03:44 PM
One of my all-time favourite songs was a song that won second place in the Eurovision song contest back in the early 70&#39;s. Anyone else remember Eres tú?
[post=313684]Quoted post[/post]​

DMW, I noticed that you were born on Bastille Day in 1978&#33;&#33; :) How on Earth do you know about this wonderful classic song?

In High School, I had the option to sing this song in my Spanish class instead of taking the final. I seriously would have been gonged off The Gong Show, voted off American Idol, and booed from the Eurovision, but I got the A.

Oh, and Dana International rocks&#33;&#33;&#33;

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by major_7@May 24 2005, 03:44 PM
DMW, I noticed that you were born on Bastille Day in 1978&#33;&#33; :) How on Earth do you know about this wonderful classic song?

Probably because almost every Spanish-speaking singer or singing group has done a cover of it, and it&#39;s practically a Spanish standard now. Many of the members here, myself included, were born after 1977, the year of Elvis Presley&#39;s death: how is it that we know Jailhouse Rock and Hound Dog? It becomes part of the culture. I heard several covers of Eres tú while still in Cuba, and my favourite was sung by Celia Cruz in concert until I heard the original recording by Mocedades. Today the Mocedades version remains my favourite. It&#39;s hard to improve on the original.

major_7

Just Browsing
Media
I heard several covers of Eres tú while still in Cuba, and my favourite was sung by Celia Cruz in concert until I heard the original recording by Mocedades. Today the Mocedades version remains my favourite. It&#39;s hard to improve on the original.

Is the Celia Cruz concert version on CD?

major_7

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+May 24 2005, 01:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; May 24 2005, 01:59 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-major_7@May 24 2005, 05:33 PM
Is the Celia Cruz concert version on CD?

Not that I know of. I heard it when I went to one of her concerts.
[post=314243]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

She was a great singer. Wish I could have had a chance to see one of her concerts.