The fast lane is for going FAST

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by exwhyzee, May 30, 2010.

1. exwhyzee

Gold Member

So why do people insist on driving slower than the norm in the fast lane? Even on a highway with four lanes in the same direction...why do some people pick that lane to drive at their own pace? Is there something vague about the term "Slower Traffic Keep Right" (in the USA)? Are they using it as a personal statement on the speed of traffic? Do they prefer hugging the far left as a lane reference?

If you know someone like this...why do they do it?

2. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I can't answer your question but this really winds me up. :mad:

Years ago I was stuck behind someone I knew well on the motorway in the fast lane. Next time I saw her I asked why she did not move over. "I was doing the speed limit and you need not go faster than that" was her response. My response was something along the lines of her not being a fucking traffic cop.

I think in general people are now pretty selfish and could not give a shit about other road users.

3. orbital

orbital New Member

Albums:
    People that do shit like this are just oblivious drivers. If you see somebody coming up quickly in your rear-view mirror, you should yield and move to the lane on your right. That should be common sense.

Anyway, some states allow the fast lane to be used as a driving lane. Take a look: State "keep right" laws

4. D_Budd_Hert

D_Budd_Hert New Member

Oh I guess Uve never drivin thru New Mexico Xccc ! We dont have fast lanes....to the far right we have the " Low riders only lane....low and slow''....then we have the middle lane " Dont pay any attention to other drivers lane " and FINALLY ! we have the left lane " the Dedicated to the "ORANGE BARREL lane " oh ! and If u ever have car troubles or flats ....GAWD ! Forbid U havent completed Ur will !

5. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

So, what you are saying is that the posted speed limit only applies to the right lane. You can go as fast as you want to in all other lanes, is that it? I've always had a problem with this idea. Now, I usually drive about 5mph over the posted speed limit and sometimes I do drive in the "fast lane" at this speed for various reasons. The way I look at it is if I'm already speeding and some jerk wants to run 75-80mph he can go around me just as easy as I can move out of their way. I have just as much right to drive there as they do. The speed limit applies to all lanes, not just the far right, sorry.

6. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's thinking like that that causes high-speed accidents.

And since you've already admitted to flouting speed limits, I really don't think you have any basis to decide how fast the cars around you can/should be going. If you're not actively passing someone, stay out of the fastest lane.

7. exwhyzee

Gold Member

So...slower traffic keeping left doesn't apply to us all (and neither does the speed limit, evidently). And I'm not sure the road is the place to flaunt your rights over others...but thanks for your perspective. It is as I suspected.

8. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

Yes, idiots that think they should be allowed to run 90mph and think that they are more important than everyone else do cause high speed accidents.
    I mentioned driving 5mph over because the highway patrol normally will not ticket you at that speed, I have never been pulled over for speeding.
    I'll say it again, the speed limit applies to all lanes, not just the far right.
    If everybody drove in the right lane, at times cars would be nose-to-tail from here to the coast.
    I do believe that if you're not going to at least drive the posted speed limit you should in fact stay right.

9. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Why detain an idiot instead of allowing him as far from your vehicle as possible? That just makes no sense.

10. exwhyzee

Gold Member

So as long as you break the law 5 miles per hour over the speed limit, you have the right to ignore the slower traffic signs and drive in any lane you want to.

Check.

11. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    And obviously there's no self-aggrandizement in taking on the role of citizen traffic cop in lieu of any actual police presence on the road :rolleyes:

12. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

Look, you want to drive like a maniac go right ahead I'm not trying to stop you or anybody else. Where people get the idea that the left lane is for going as fast as you want to go is beyond me.

If I'm going 5mph over the limit then I'm not "slower traffic" am I?

13. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    You are if you're the slowest car in sight.

14. Randll86

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Anyone who drives faster than me is a maniac and anyone who drives slower is an asshole.

15. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

I want your definition of "slower traffic".

I'm going to guess it's anyone not driving as fast as you.

16. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    In California at least, the posted speed limit is the maximum speed allowed under ideal conditions. While I don't condone driving the posted speed limit in the fast lane, there's really nothing to bitch about unless said driver is going below the posted limit. I usually go the limit to about 5 mph over, but keep in the #3 lane usually. The mock outrage over someone not allowing you to drive like a bat out of hell is not convincing to me.

17. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

Thank You!

18. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    I will, however, make known my hatred for those who feel the need to not accelerate on freeway on ramps. Cmon folks, it's California- you need to gun it and MERGE!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

19. exwhyzee

Gold Member

If wanting to pass someone travelling at 60 mph by going 65 mph is driving like a bat out of hell, then you live in a hellish world. :rolleyes:

20. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Perhaps you should have put those alleged speeds in your original post, instead of rolling your eyes when I couldnt read your mind. Or, you know, put on the right blinker, and pass them. :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted