The fast lane is for going FAST

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's annoying. In NJ it's a law and people are pretty good about keeping to the right in general, unless they drive in from Pennsylvania. Everyone knows to drive 10 miles above the speed limit even in the slow lanes.

In Florida it sucks. You get on I-95 and not only are people driving below the speed limit, they are doing it in all 5 lanes and even in the carpool lane during non carpool hours.

People are either stupid or they don't care.

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I will, however, make known my hatred for those who feel the need to not accelerate on freeway on ramps. Cmon folks, it's California- you need to gun it and MERGE!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

They can't get on the freeway, because everyone is driving in the right lane unless they are passing someone.

This is the main reason everybody can't be in the right lane.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Look, you want to drive like a maniac go right ahead I'm not trying to stop you or anybody else. Where people get the idea that the left lane is for going as fast as you want to go is beyond me.

If I'm going 5mph over the limit then I'm not "slower traffic" am I?

Driving fast (or faster than others) isn't tantamount to driving recklessly. I've seen slow drivers weave over several lanes, not use turn signals, and text while driving.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I want your definition of "slower traffic".
I'm going to guess it's anyone not driving as fast as you.
Your recollection of grade-school lessons in comparatives is correct. If someone is driving faster than you, then you are the slower traffic. It's not rocket science.

If I'm going 5mph over the limit then I'm not "slower traffic" am I?
Yes, you are. See above.

hypoc8 said:
Look, you want to drive like a maniac go right ahead I'm not trying to stop you or anybody else. Where people get the idea that the left lane is for going as fast as you want to go is beyond me.
You need to climb down off your obstinate high horse and read your state's traffic codes. Failure to yield the left lane to faster traffic is a crime...it's the same class misdemeanor moving violation as speeding. You don't own the highway, and you aren't empowered to enforce the traffic laws. You have no idea why the guy trying to pass you might be speeding...his wife could be having a heart attack in the car and he's trying to get to the hospital. And you're going to impede his travel because...why, exactly? You think you're right and he's wrong? You can't stand to let other people live their lives if they don't align with your viewpoint of how things should be? I fucking despise people like you. I'm not a violent person by nature, but I'd pound your asses into the fucking ground if given half the chance.

It probably never crosses your juvenile little mind that your acting like a prick affects everyone on the road behind you. Not only are you holding up the guy directly behind, but everyone behind him as well. 99.99% of drivers on the highway will automatically tap their brake whenever they see brake lights come on ahead of them...you just caused a chain reaction, slowing each successive driver down. Freeway gridlock is created by dickheads like you on the road, not by people speeding in the left lane.

Why detain an idiot instead of allowing him as far from your vehicle as possible? That just makes no sense.
Because it's about these little pencildick motherfuckers trying desperately to exert some sense of control in their lives where otherwise they have none. Much like the anonymity of the internet, this assholery is exacerbated by the abstraction they feel from being isolated in their car. If these fuckwits actually cared about the safety of the highway, then logically they would just get the fuck out of the way and let the faster drivers get on down the road.

I will, however, make known my hatred for those who feel the need to not accelerate on freeway on ramps. Cmon folks, it's California- you need to gun it and MERGE!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:
God, this one drives me bonkers, too. So many fucktards try to enter the freeway doing 40-50mph when the traffic is moving at 65-75mph...and when they can't merge, they hit the fucking brake!!! I can't even begin to understand the stupidity of their thought process that leads them to do this.

Last edited:

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I generally drive about 5 mph over the limit otherwise it is much more likely that someone will follow too closely.

Sometimes when traffic is very heavy, all lanes must be used to handle the volume of traffic. In that case, it would be unreasonable to avoid the left lane. But I think that it's necessary to distinguish between highways which have two lanes in each direction and three or more lanes in each direction.

The important thing is to drive in such a way as not do disrupt traffic and also to avoid doing anything that might surprise or irritate other drivers. To drive defensively, one should anticipate possible improper or unexpected moves by other drivers. Thus, when there are three or more lanes lanes in each direction and traffic is not heavy, it is best to avoid the left lane except when passing or when there is a risk that someone to one's right might unexpectedly change lanes. People commonly unexpectedly change lanes and it is important to drive in such a way that that will not cause an accident.

When there are two lanes in each direction, it is sometimes best to drive in the left lane if there are cars merging onto the highway but when doing so, one should shift to the right lane if cars are approaching from behind.

The problem with simple rules is that there are situations in which they do not work well. Simple rules cannot replace good judgment.

arthurdent

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
When I'm driving on the motorway at the speed limit (70mph) or sometimes less and I'm on the inside lane (ie. left in the UK), it annoys me when some fool is pootling along in the middle lane at a slower speed. So I enjoy undertaking them (even though it's illegal to do so, I think) or sometimes I overtake them on the outside lane and then, if there's not much traffic about, I return straight back to the inside lane to show them that that is where they should be driving. Grrr!

Last edited:

It's a prob in the UK too - altho middle lane hoggers are even more resented. It's just an overtaking lane and people sit there all day going really slow and getting in the way.

Because our roads are so narrow and crowded, learners are taught to drive at about the speed limit - or just under - so as not to cause probs by hampering the flow of traffic.

I do tend to live life in the slow lane myself tho, hehehe. Or the hard shoulder...

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You need to climb down off your obstinate high horse and read your state's traffic codes. Failure to yield the left lane to faster traffic is a crime...it's the same class misdemeanor moving violation as speeding. You don't own the highway, and you aren't empowered to enforce the traffic laws. You have no idea why the guy trying to pass you might be speeding...his wife could be having a heart attack in the car and he's trying to get to the hospital. And you're going to impede his travel because...why, exactly? You think you're right and he's wrong? You can't stand to let other people live their lives if they don't align with your viewpoint of how things should be? I fucking despise people like you. I'm not a violent person by nature, but I'd pound your asses into the fucking ground if given half the chance.

It probably never crosses your juvenile little mind that your acting like a prick affects everyone on the road behind you. Not only are you holding up the guy directly behind, but everyone behind him as well. 99.99% of drivers on the highway will automatically tap their brake whenever they see brake lights come on ahead of them...you just caused a chain reaction, slowing each successive driver down. Freeway gridlock is created by dickheads like you on the road, not by people speeding in the left lane.

Because it's about these little pencildick motherfuckers trying desperately to exert some sense of control in their lives where otherwise they have none. Much like the anonymity of the internet, this assholery is exacerbated by the abstraction they feel from being isolated in their car. If these fuckwits actually cared about the safety of the highway, then logically they would just get the fuck out of the way and let the faster drivers get on down the road.

God, this one drives me bonkers, too. So many fucktards try to enter the freeway doing 40-50mph when the traffic is moving at 65-75mph...and when they can't merge, they hit the fucking brake!!! I can't even begin to understand the stupidity of their thought process that leads them to do this.

Damn, who pissed in your corn flakes this morning?

I don't need to read anything, I know what the law states.

I've never said that I owned the highway, but you don't either. I'm not trying to enforce anything, I'm only trying to get from point A to B without getting killed by some asshole that thinks he's on a racetrack.

If you are having a medical emergency you should have your 4-way flashers on, I believe most people out there know what that is indicating and I would move out of their way as quickly as traffic would allow.

Look, I said it before, you want to drive like a maniac go right ahead, I'm not going to stop you or anyone else. You can live your life anyway you chose, I just don't like assholes like you who think they are entitled to drive 15-20+mph over the speed limit endangering others while you zip along in a hurry to get nowhere. Who gave YOU or anyone else the right to do this? Nobody, just your selfish I'm more important than anybody else out here and I'll drive as I please. As far as wanting to pound somebodies ass in the ground, I'm afraid you may cross the wrong person one day and get the short end of that stick.

I have a question for you. Have you ever been driving down the road and and come upon an accident? Most of us have. Have you ever thought that it could have been you? Next time you run up on the "old slow poke" that inconvenences you a little, just think he or she may have saved your life. Just a thought.

As far as your other little insults all I can say is go pound sand up your ass!

Has it ever crossed your pea-sized brain that driving 15-20mph over the speed limit is endangering the lives of yourself and others? I guess not, I forgot that you and people like you only think of themselves and everyone should just get out of your way since they are such a hinderence so you can get to your destination in record time.

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I categorize my driving as assertive which is to drive almost to the point of getting noticed by a cop. Aggressive drivers do things which cops notice and give tickets.

In California the Highway Patrol does give lots of tickets for driving too slowly in fast lanes, speeding, unsafe lane changes and such. officers realize they also have a need to keep traffic flowing, especially on urban freeways. with radar, unmarked/stealth cars, and aviation units they do a pretty good job watching the roads in spite of the fact that patrol has the same number of officers as it did 20+ years ago.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I categorize my driving as assertive which is to drive almost to the point of getting noticed by a cop. Aggressive drivers do things which cops notice and give tickets.

In California the Highway Patrol does give lots of tickets for driving too slowly in fast lanes, speeding, unsafe lane changes and such. officers realize they also have a need to keep traffic flowing, especially on urban freeways. with radar, unmarked/stealth cars, and aviation units they do a pretty good job watching the roads in spite of the fact that patrol has the same number of officers as it did 20+ years ago.

They'll give a ticket for driving below the posted speed limit in the fast lane, but not just because somebody is driving 65 and everybody else is driving 80.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Also, with drivers like you, once you start tailing me, I slow down and do things like turn on my wipers. :biggrin1:

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Also, with drivers like you, once you start tailing me, I slow down and do things like turn on my wipers. :biggrin1:

I had a friend in high school that had a Corvette and when people started tailing him he'd wait till they got ready to go around him and then he'd floor it leaving them sitting there.

I hate when people ride my bumper and it's something I've never done. I always just wait and go around them when I can. I don't understand people that have to get all mad and start flashing their lights and blowing their horn, waving their fists and the like, fucking grow up.

MrGoodDate

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Kansas law now is that one cannot just drive in the left lane. It is for passing.
I think a lot of people are not thinking about what is around them. I personally like to get around and spread out the traffic.

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't understand people that have to get all mad and start flashing their lights and blowing their horn, waving their fists and the like, fucking grow up.
these are aggressive drivers begging for a ticket for following too closely, reckless driving, not wearing the seat belt, and talking on a cellphone! :nono:

D

deleted3782

Perhaps you should have put those alleged speeds in your original post, instead of rolling your eyes when I couldnt read your mind. Or, you know, put on the right blinker, and pass them. :rolleyes:

Alleged? Have you caught me driving at other speeds?

What does the exact speed have to do with it. "Slower Traffic Keep Right" means slower traffic should keep out of the passing lane and stay in the travel lane.

Regarding passing - trust me, I pass right around them...but my OP is not "How does one deal with people traveling in the passing lane?", it asks "Why do they do it?"

...and to that end, you and hypoc8 have clearly explained why you chose to serve as human speed bumps. :biggrin1:

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It is important to remain calm even when other drivers do something dangerous, stupid, or inconsiderate. One can expect to see such behavior often.

Here in New Mexico, the road fatality rate is about 30% higher than it is in the U.S. as a whole. And here in the U.S., the last time I checked, the road fatality rate was about 30% higher than it was in the UK, even though we have better roads than the UK has. That is the result of woefully inadequate driver training here; it's so poor that it's a joke. It is also the result of poor enforcement, at least here in New Mexico. When I tried to get statistical information on traffic citations and for what violations they were issued, I found that there are no records except for the total number of citations. Thus, I was unable to determine whether tickets are ever issued for failure to signal, etc.

A few years ago, when I took a driving course for geriatric drivers to get an insurance discount, I suggested that one way to improve driving was to follow the example of the police. Of course, everyone laughed because the police are among the worse drivers. It would be difficult for the police to give citations for the violations which they themselves habitually commit.

I'm convinced that with greatly improved driver education coupled with strict enforcement of the driving regulations, the fatality rate could easily be cut in half. However, doing that could be politically impossible. People expect to be able to get a license quickly, effortlessly, and cheaply. Forcing them to take a 160 hour course before even getting behind the wheel would meet with considerable resistance. So, with poor training and inadequate enforcement, people will continue to make lane changes and turns without signaling, not using lanes correctly when turning, following too closely, etc. etc.

Those of us who want to drive as well and responsibly as possible can purchase books which offer useful tips on defensive driving techniques and other information on how to reduce the risk of an accident. It is not enough only to follow the rules. It is important to anticipate the mistakes that other drivers are likely to make. Considering the expense, time loss, and inconvenience of an accident, even when one is not at fault, it makes sense to learn how to prevent accidents regardless of who would be at fault.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Anyone who drives faster than me is a maniac and anyone who drives slower is an asshole.
:werd:
In Florida it sucks. You get on I-95 and not only are people driving below the speed limit, they are doing it in all 5 lanes and even in the carpool lane during non carpool hours.

People are either stupid or they don't care.
I say they're stupid, because saying that makes me feel better.