The fast lane is for going FAST

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
Bitch, bitch, bitch. There are far worse things to have happen to you than to have to apply your brakes and wait for traffic to clear. Not everybody wants to drive the same speed I do. It isn't a disaster. If your life is so free of problems that this is all you have to complain about, you have a lot to be thankful for.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Bitch, bitch, bitch. There are far worse things to have happen to you than to have to apply your brakes and wait for traffic to clear. Not everybody wants to drive the same speed I do. It isn't a disaster. If your life is so free of problems that this is all you have to complain about, you have a lot to be thankful for.

It isn't always necessary to drive at the same speed as the other cars.

My sister and her husband, to save fuel, limit their speed to 60 mph when possible. I've told her that that is OK if the traffic is light and people can easily and safely pass. But if driving more slowly disrupts traffic, it should not be done; under those circumstances, it is a safety hazard.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
It isn't always necessary to drive at the same speed as the other cars.

My sister and her husband, to save fuel, limit their speed to 60 mph when possible. I've told her that that is OK if the traffic is light and people can easily and safely pass. But if driving more slowly disrupts traffic, it should not be done; under those circumstances, it is a safety hazard.

Bollox! Driving at or just under 60 is NOT a safety hazard on 99% of the highways, freeways, motorways, interstates, dual carriageways, quatre-voies, etc. that I have driven on.

60 is a perfectly reasonable speed to drive in the inside lane on a freeway.

The only situation where I can see driving at 60mph being dangerously slow is on a one lane each side two way road where people want to go faster than that. But, looking at a table of speed limits in the US, the only place where those other drivers wouldn't be pushing or breaking the speed limit in that circumstance is Texas (where the speed limit for that type of road appears to be 70-75). Everywhere other state it's between 50 and 65 and therefore driving at or just under 60 would never be dangerously slow.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Bollox! Driving at or just under 60 is NOT a safety hazard on 99% of the highways, freeways, motorways, interstates, dual carriageways, quatre-voies, etc. that I have driven on.

60 is a perfectly reasonable speed to drive in the inside lane on a freeway.

The only situation where I can see driving at 60mph being dangerously slow is on a one lane each side two way road where people want to go faster than that. But, looking at a table of speed limits in the US, the only place where those other drivers wouldn't be pushing or breaking the speed limit in that circumstance is Texas (where the speed limit for that type of road appears to be 70-75). Everywhere other state it's between 50 and 65 and therefore driving at or just under 60 would never be dangerously slow.

Here in New Mexico, it would be a hazard at times.

The speed limit here on divided highways in rural areas is 75 mph. At times and in certain areas, the traffic is heavy and the traffic in the right lane is going at about 75 mph; sometimes it is even faster. If someone were going only 60 mph in the right lane, cars would be constantly changing lanes to pass. That would be a safety hazard because someone could change lanes without looking carefully enough first thereby causing an accident.

Granted that if the accident occurred it would not technically be the fault of the driver going only 60 mph, but nevertheless, the slower driver would be increasing the risk of an accident that could be very serious. If there were little traffic, the risk would be quite low and acceptable. But at times when the traffic is heavy, it is important for drivers to go with the flow rather than drive at a speed that results in frequent lane changes.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Here in New Mexico, it would be a hazard at times.

The speed limit here on divided highways in rural areas is 75 mph. At times and in certain areas, the traffic is heavy and the traffic in the right lane is going at about 75 mph; sometimes it is even faster. If someone were going only 60 mph in the right lane, cars would be constantly changing lanes to pass. That would be a safety hazard because someone could change lanes without looking carefully enough first thereby causing an accident.

Granted that if the accident occurred it would not technically be the fault of the driver going only 60 mph, but nevertheless, the slower driver would be increasing the risk of an accident that could be very serious. If there were little traffic, the risk would be quite low and acceptable. But at times when the traffic is heavy, it is important for drivers to go with the flow rather than drive at a speed that results in frequent lane changes.

In heavy traffic 60 is more acceptable overall than 75 and if an asshole drives like an asshole it isn't your sister's fault.

Is there a minimum speed limit in New Mexico (for freeways)? Is it lower than 60 mph? Do you know more about traffic safety than the experts and organisations who advise state authorities on speed limits?

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Although I personally see it as rude and aggressive to flash one's lights at the car ahead, what you do is even worse.

Sorry, but the only reason I'm ever going to be in the fast lane is if Im driving a good deal- say, from San Diego to Los Angeles, and going at least 80 or so. Anybody who drives up on people flashing their lights is douchy, more so then the guy not getting over. You dont own the freeway. If you feel the need to get around me, then do so.

I use my own better judgment. If I'm going 80 in the fast lane on a 65 mph freeway, I'm not going to get over, sorry. You can call me all the names you want, flash all the rude finger signals you want. I don't give a shit. If I build more than a 1 car line behind me, I will get over.

Last edited:

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I check my rear view mirror frequently to check cars positions, if someone is coming up on me, whatever. So if I see someone coming up on me inordinately fast, I'm probably going to get over, if its safe, and if the other lane isnt going much slower than the fast lane.
@HazelGod- i know the roads highways around here like I know the back of my hand. I've had enraged drivers try to follow me, but I simply drive toward the closest police station, and they go their own direction. More than likely they get mad at me because I signaled my intntion to get over, they try to speed up, and I get over anyway. I'm really not afraid of some a hole in a cute little boxy car, or even some compensatory huge excursion. Right now I'm in a defensive driving mode- if only to save on gas. Much cheaper to stay over in the #3 or #4 lane going 65 mph.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Folks who think they can just hog the fast lane and play traffic law enforcer should come to Europe or better yet Turkey for a lesson in how to be a cooperative driver. It is quite nice and stress free actually. If I come up behind and flash, they pull over. Likewise, if someone flashes me, I move over if I can and no harm done and no egos bruised. Everyone carries on and has better things to worry than what some other dumb fuck is doing driving too fast.

On the other hand, while everyone does have the basic, 'don't hog the fast lane' thing down, some of the other interesting driving tricks I see on a daily basis would curl your toes... They give a whole new meaning to 'defensive driving'. :cool:

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Do you know more about traffic safety than the experts and organisations who advise state authorities on speed limits?
You're making the erroneous assumption that the political entities who actually set speed limits do so on the advice of such experts. That isn't the case.

Folks who think they can just hog the fast lane and play traffic law enforcer should come to Europe or better yet Turkey for a lesson in how to be a cooperative driver. It is quite nice and stress free actually. If I come up behind and flash, they pull over. Likewise, if someone flashes me, I move over if I can and no harm done and no egos bruised.
Exactly as it should be.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I check my rear view mirror frequently to check cars positions, if someone is coming up on me, whatever. So if I see someone coming up on me inordinately fast, I'm probably going to get over, if its safe, and if the other lane isnt going much slower than the fast lane.
@HazelGod- i know the roads highways around here like I know the back of my hand. I've had enraged drivers try to follow me, but I simply drive toward the closest police station, and they go their own direction. More than likely they get mad at me because I signaled my intntion to get over, they try to speed up, and I get over anyway. I'm really not afraid of some a hole in a cute little boxy car, or even some compensatory huge excursion. Right now I'm in a defensive driving mode- if only to save on gas. Much cheaper to stay over in the #3 or #4 lane going 65 mph.

If you've encountered enraged drivers frequently, you should consider changing your driving style. That's not to say that people should be losing their temper, but we know that some people do lose their temper and it is best not to provoke them and create additional problems which could lead to unfortunate results.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you've encountered enraged drivers frequently, you should consider changing your driving style. That's not to say that people should be losing their temper, but we know that some people do lose their temper and it is best not to provoke them and create additional problems which could lead to unfortunate results.

I didn't say it happens frequently, just that it's happened before. Like the time someone tried to cut in line by driving on the shoulder- if I see that, I'll pull halfway into the shoulder so they can't cheat. That pissed off a driver one time. Or the time one driver cut me off on a freeway interchange onramp- literally almost ran me off the road. He got stuck behind a slow car on the freeway, and as I drove past him I blew him a kiss. That didnt sit too kindly with him, and he followed me a good 5+ miles.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Traffic around here is usually too congested to even go the speed limit when I am on the way to or from work. I learned a long time ago to have my favorite music in the car and just jam while I am stuck and/or moving slowly. On the weekend, however, when traffic is clear and I am driving a fair distance, I see no reason for the fast lane to be the ONLY lane congested with people doing under the speed limit.

I do draw a distinct difference between trying to drive very fast when the volume of traffic will not safely allow it, versus driving too slowly when the volume of traffic will allow for more speed.

Maybe another thread could be, "Honey/Dude, you have to speed up in order to merge into oncoming traffic. You can not enter the highway safely from a dead stop."

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
In heavy traffic 60 is more acceptable overall than 75 and if an asshole drives like an asshole it isn't your sister's fault.

Is there a minimum speed limit in New Mexico (for freeways)? Is it lower than 60 mph? Do you know more about traffic safety than the experts and organisations who advise state authorities on speed limits?

Safety experts agree that roads are safer when everyone is driving at about the same speed. That is generally true regardless of whether a minimum speed limit is posted or what the maximum speed limit is. There is always a risk in changing lanes, especially when people fail to look carefully before changing lanes, fail to signal before changing lanes, or change lanes too suddenly; some drivers habitually make one or a combination of those mistakes.

When the predominate speed in the right lane is 75 mph, traffic is heavy, and someone is driving at only 60 mph, the person driving at only 60 mph is creating a safety hazard by causing other drivers to change lanes. Fortunately, my sister and her husband are aware of that so, when traffic is heavy, they do drive at the prevailing speed since that is the safest thing to do. Under those circumstances, safety is more important than fuel efficiency. It is important to reduce the risk of accidents regardless of whose fault the accident would be if one occurred. That is basic defensive driving.

I'm not talking about what is legal. It is possible to drive in a legal manner and still create a safety hazard.

It's interesting that some people are able to drive for thirty years or more without having an accident while others have an accident every few years, even though the accidents may not technically be their fault. Safe driving requires the ability to recognize potentially hazardous situations and avoid them, as well as the ability to avoid creating potentially hazardous situations. Merely staying within the law is not enough.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Safety experts agree that roads are safer when everyone is driving at about the same speed. That is generally true regardless of whether a minimum speed limit is posted or what the maximum speed limit is. There is always a risk in changing lanes, especially when people fail to look carefully before changing lanes, fail to signal before changing lanes, or change lanes too suddenly; some drivers habitually make one or a combination of those mistakes.

When the predominate speed in the right lane is 75 mph, traffic is heavy, and someone is driving at only 60 mph, the person driving at only 60 mph is creating a safety hazard by causing other drivers to change lanes. Fortunately, my sister and her husband are aware of that so, when traffic is heavy, they do drive at the prevailing speed since that is the safest thing to do. Under those circumstances, safety is more important than fuel efficiency. It is important to reduce the risk of accidents regardless of whose fault the accident would be if one occurred. That is basic defensive driving.

I'm not talking about what is legal. It is possible to drive in a legal manner and still create a safety hazard.

It's interesting that some people are able to drive for thirty years or more without having an accident while others have an accident every few years, even though the accidents may not technically be their fault. Safe driving requires the ability to recognize potentially hazardous situations and avoid them, as well as the ability to avoid creating potentially hazardous situations. Merely staying within the law is not enough.

I've only been stating my views on what is and is not acceptable. Like I said, I'm currently always driving in the as far to the right as possible and going at the speed limit or 5 mph above. I dont drive like an asshole anymore. :smile:

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
...If I come up behind and flash, they pull over. Likewise, if someone flashes me, I move over if I can and no harm done and no egos bruised....

This is what I do as well. I just move over and go about my driving. Taking someone wanting you out of the way as a personal insult is akin to acting like you just lost a dick measuring contest. But then again, we are on LPSG.

When the predominate speed in the right lane is 75 mph, traffic is heavy, and someone is driving at only 60 mph, the person driving at only 60 mph is creating a safety hazard by causing other drivers to change lanes. ....
Agreed. Driving too slow or too fast for the flow of traffic can be equally dangerous. And I like your point about accidents, as well. Touche'.

Last edited:

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
That's why God invented push bars for vehicles.

There's nothing wrong with bumping some stupid sum-bitch out of the way for wanting to be a "Good sumaritan" while holding up everyone else.

I hate these types of drivers. They think that they are enforcing the law or something.
Most of the time I just go around them hard and fast. The quicker you get them behind you, the better off you are, and less of a chance of "Cluster Fuck" on the expressway.

When are these arrogant dipshits going to learn that being a butt plug on the expressway only increases the chance of accidents, and PISSES people off.
If you want to go slow - get the fuck out of the left lane, or be ran off the road.
State supported and approved - read the signs!

If I'm carrying a load and I know I'll be driving slow - Im always in the right lane wherever possible. No need to slow everyone else up.

If I'm driving my hot rod to a show via expressway - my ass is in the right to avoid traffic, stones, and antsy drivers that want to GO!

When I'm feelin fiesty in the truck doin triple digit speed - Left Lane is where it's at.

I do draw a distinct difference between trying to drive very fast when the volume of traffic will not safely allow it, versus driving too slowly when the volume of traffic will allow for more speed.

Maybe another thread could be, "Honey/Dude, you have to speed up in order to merge into oncoming traffic. You can not enter the highway safely from a dead stop."

Agreed on both! Obviously you have to drive what's possible with the level of traffic.
THe second, is what has caused NUMEROUS accidents on I-75 up here. Bubble fucks think they stop at the end of a ramp, put their blinker on and then merge right in front of an oncoming vehicle or...hopefully a Semi that can't stop. Splat - one less stupid in the world.

Last edited:

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

That also is a problem.

I wonder why some modern cars perform at level which only a few years ago could be achieved only by race cars, yet so many drivers refuse to push firmly enough on the loud pedal to merge safely onto freeways thereby creating problems for everyone.

A few years ago, I rode with my brother. He was going too slowly on the merging lane and constantly looking back, irritated because no one was letting him in. As he approached the end of the merging lane, he forced his way in, forcing other cars to slow down.

Once in Minneapolis, I was behind a car attempting to merge onto 694. Just as I and the drivers behind me were getting ready to accelerate, she hit the brakes even though the merging lane was about a full mile long!! So, I had to hit my brakes and behind me I heard, "screech, screech, screech."

Way back around 1957, just before the first freeway was opened in Minneapolis, there was instruction on TV showing how to merge properly. This is 53 years later and some people still haven't learned.

If I had my way, drivers would be re-tested every five years, with both a thorough written test and a thorough behind the wheel test. A driver failing the re-test would be given reasonable time to prepare for another test and after failing three or so times, would have his license revoked and have to start over as a learner. The basic problem is that few drivers take driving seriously; they give driving no more thought than loading the washing machine. The vast majority of drivers could easily enough pass a re-test if they made a point of keeping their knowledge current, paid attention to their driving, and made a point of driving properly. In addition to having re-tests, enforcement should be much more strict. I'm not talking about only enforcing the speed limit; using lanes properly, turning properly, signaling, following at a safe distance, not using a cell 'phone, and stopping at red lights are also important.

Last edited:
D

deleted3782

Folks who think they can just hog the fast lane and play traffic law enforcer should come to Europe or better yet Turkey for a lesson in how to be a cooperative driver. It is quite nice and stress free actually. If I come up behind and flash, they pull over. Likewise, if someone flashes me, I move over if I can and no harm done and no egos bruised.

I agree and have seen it in action. I was in Italy a few months ago, and I just tried to stay out of the way. Some cars were a lot slower, some were a lot faster. I went with the flow and kept up with the local standards...and it worked great. When I got flashed, I moved over. It was a courtesy.

And as far as horror stories...on two-lane roads in Greece you drive with the right tires over the right line so that cars can pass you straddling the center line! It was crazy...but when everyone knows the the system, it worked.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
That also is a problem.

I wonder why some modern cars perform at level which only a few years ago could be achieved only by race cars, yet so many drivers refuse to push firmly enough on the loud pedal to merge safely onto freeways thereby creating problems for everyone.
Car magazines specifically rate the gauge a car's ability to go from o to 40/60 so that buyers can understand acceleration speed before purchase.

A related issue are drivers who drive in the merge lane and have no clue about how to safely allow entering traffic to merge. I understand that sometimes you have to drive in the slow/merge lane--but you should either slow down to let people in, or speed up to get past them before they need to enter. I fucking hate when people drive their cars next to mine as I am trying to merge. Asshats.

In addition to having re-tests, enforcement should be much more strict. I'm not talking about only enforcing the speed limit; using lanes properly, turning properly, signaling, following at a safe distance, not using a cell 'phone, and stopping at red lights are also important.

Re-tests are certainly needed. Currently, they only retest your vision, but not your reflexes which are equally important. Also, I agree with the assertion of greater enforcement. Years ago, you could get pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt. Then, they changed all the rules so that now, even if you are breaking he rules by not being buckled up, using your cell (without hands-free), etc. you can only be fined for that if you are pulled over for something else.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That's one of the reasons for road rage. Get out of the fucking left lane and let people pass. When I finally get by these idiots and look over, it's scary how unaware they are of everyone else on the road. You can tell that they are clueless and not watching anything but the road in front of them. You can bet that they don't use their turn signals either!