The fast lane is for going FAST

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
That another thing that makes no sense: Outlawing the use of cell 'phones which are not hands free. That makes people think that it is safe to use hands free cell 'phones, and it isn't.

Sometime before 2004, I became aware of surveys which indicated that the danger of cell 'phones was not so much holding them in the hand, but rather, conversing with someone who is not in the car. It turns out that hands free cell 'phones are almost as dangerous and hand held cell 'phones. Think about why that could be.

If you are conversing with a passenger in the car, he will understand if you don't respond immediately since he realizes that you are dealing with traffic. On the other hand, a person with whom you are conversing via cell 'phone may not even know that you are driving and therefore is more likely to make greater demands on your attention. And, if the connection is severed, you will probably say, "Hello!! Hello!! Are you there??" That is VERY distracting. It is even more distracting if you can hear him and he can't hear you. Also, if someone is using a hand held cell 'phone, other road users may be aware that he is a distracted driver and be extra cautious.

In any case, it should be illegal to use cell 'phones while driving. The fact that other distractions may occur is not a good reason for permitting cell 'phone use.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Re-tests are certainly needed. Currently, they only retest your vision, but not your reflexes which are equally important. Also, I agree with the assertion of greater enforcement. Years ago, you could get pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt. Then, they changed all the rules so that now, even if you are breaking he rules by not being buckled up, using your cell (without hands-free), etc. you can only be fined for that if you are pulled over for something else.

In a few years, when I turn 75, I will be retested, which I think is reasonable. Although I am not sure of it, I think that it will include a behind the wheel test. Perhaps I should show up on one of my motorcycles and tell the examiner that he has to ride pillion to test me.

The police should be instructed to drive properly to set a good example for the rest of us. Of course, if you criticize a police driver, you can expect him to become defensive and perhaps even belligerent. I've been tempted to get a video camera and film police drivers either leaving the station or returning to it. I'm sure that could catch many of them failing to signal their turns.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I used to have a 50-mile daily commute, 30 miles of which was along a three and four-lane motorway. Every day, there was a queue of traffic in the outside lane, doing about 60 with hardly any other vehicles in the two or three inside lanes! The sooner they make passing on the inside legal here, the better in my book.

It's interesting to note that a study is being conducted about the effect on journey times of preventing lorries (trucks) overtaking on a stretch of the A34 just now. Could it be that we're on the verge of adopting some good ideas from Germany to improve the flow of traffic at peak times?

What really winds me up is the people who race up behind you, overtake and then brake hard to go off on the exit you're just about to pass.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
It's not the fast lane, it's the overtaking lane, or the second overtaking lane. If someone has to flash you, you are most likely driving badly and shouldn't be sat in that lane.

Some people refuse to believe that you might have a car that is quicker than theirs and can comfortably overtake before you get stuck behind the next car.

Ghost queues are caused by people overbreaking. If someone breaks to 60 and then the next person to 59 and so on, the traffic will stop within a minute. Bad driving.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's annoying. In NJ it's a law and people are pretty good about keeping to the right in general, unless they drive in from Pennsylvania. Everyone knows to drive 10 miles above the speed limit even in the slow lanes.

In Florida it sucks. You get on I-95 and not only are people driving below the speed limit, they are doing it in all 5 lanes and even in the carpool lane during non carpool hours.

People are either stupid or they don't care.

The same law is in Pa, keep to the right except for passing but there are those that don't abide by it and usually there the ones the OP mentioned. Your driving in the right lane doing the speed limit and this clown is driving right next to you for miles. It really cuts down on my highway masturbation. Talk about living life in the fast lane.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I agree and have seen it in action. I was in Italy a few months ago, and I just tried to stay out of the way. Some cars were a lot slower, some were a lot faster. I went with the flow and kept up with the local standards...and it worked great. When I got flashed, I moved over. It was a courtesy.

And as far as horror stories...on two-lane roads in Greece you drive with the right tires over the right line so that cars can pass you straddling the center line! It was crazy...but when everyone knows the the system, it worked.

My time spent driving in Greece is summarized most succinctly by this icon: :eek:

"Wild and crazy" doesn't begin to describe the experience. Also, Grecian drivers set the standard (move aside Frenchies, et. al.) for horn usage. It gets to the point where the sound is a constant blaring, which rather undermines the functionality of a horn.

As an aside, I found the people to be fun and friendly. When they weren't driving.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My time spent driving in Greece is summarized most succinctly by this icon: :eek:

"Wild and crazy" doesn't begin to describe the experience. Also, Grecian drivers set the standard (move aside Frenchies, et. al.) for horn usage. It gets to the point where the sound is a constant blaring, which rather undermines the functionality of a horn.

As an aside, I found the people to be fun and friendly. When they weren't driving.

It's interesting how the personality of some people seems to change radically as soon as they get behind the wheel. I wonder which is the real personality.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
And as far as horror stories...on two-lane roads in Greece you drive with the right tires over the right line so that cars can pass you straddling the center line! It was crazy...but when everyone knows the the system, it worked.
Oh.. I do that now too. I mean passing down the middle on two-lane roads. :redface: The oncoming traffic just slides over a bit and all is tamam... and I rarely yield to pedestrians... if you do that, they look at you as if you are just stupid.

I do still have some standards though... I will not make the left hand turn from the middle lane at a traffic stop.

Whenever I go to N. America I have to be super careful to get back into str8 driving.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It's interesting how the personality of some people seems to change radically as soon as they get behind the wheel. I wonder which is the real personality.

I've often wondered about that vis-a-vis drivers who are inconsiderate to pedestrians, especially in parking lots (but not just). Wouldn't they expect common courtesy from drivers when not in their own cars? :mad:

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
FYI

Those happy campers in the left lane- MSN Money

Of note: "Lane-blocking is in fact a ticketable offense in Washington, carrying a $42 fine, as it is in most states. (Pemco treats the violation as it would any other minor offense, such as a seat-belt ticket, and it would have the same effect on insurance rates.) Even states that don't reserve the left lane on free-flowing highways for passing usually have some sort of slower-traffic-keep-​right law on the books. In some states, the law applies even if the other guy is speeding -- that's his ticket to worry about."

conntom

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've often wondered about that vis-a-vis drivers who are inconsiderate to pedestrians, especially in parking lots (but not just). Wouldn't they expect common courtesy from drivers when not in their own cars? :mad:

You would think but years of pedestrians having the right of way turning into pedestrians abusing the right of way as changed things.

I feel the same about the customer always being right.

And to the OP - few things are worse than the slow driver in the fast lane who IGNORES the traffic behind them.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The highway is different from the city.

On the highway, one should stay out of the left lane except when passing or when the volume of traffic is high enough to require that all lanes be used in which case when one is in the left lane, one should not be driving more slowly than the rest of the traffic.

In the city, it may be necessary to stay in the the left lane for some time if one will be turning left. Getting into the left lane at the last minute is often impossible. Also, if in an unfamiliar area, one may not know where the street is onto which one will be turning, so it is then necessary to stay in the left lane.

A few years ago, I was stopped for driving 10 mph below the speed limit in the left lane. The car in front of me was driving 10 mph below the speed limit. I could have moved to the right lane, but I didn't know exactly where the street was onto which I would be turning left. Under the circumstances, the only reasonable thing to do was to stay in the left lane. The policeboy (he was quite young) chewed me out; I practically told him off for following me too closely and stopping me for no good reason. He didn't give me a ticket, although I practically invited him to and said that I'd be happy to see him in court. By then, I think he realized that stopping me was a mistake and he was trying to find a graceful way out of the situation.

paigexox

Sexy Member
Media
Next time you buy a vehicle, consider its appearance from a psychological perspective. Does it intimidate? Will this color increase the likelihood of being seen and what emotion will it evoke? Does the car/truck resemble the current model the police use? And so on...

More than one way to skin a cat!

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The meanest drivers I've ever encountered were in Chicago. The minute you turn your signal on, they speed up in an attempt to not let you get over. Assholes. I got over anyway- bitch, I've driven in L.A., don't try to pull that shit on me.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
...pisses me off just about as bad as people who slow down at green lights even though the way is clear and they go straight through.

But consider this:

If people don't slow down for a stale green light, then they may have to make a very quick stop when the light turns yellow and risk having someone rear-end them. That's especially true if they are exceeding the speed limit. Or, if they elect to go through the yellow light, the light may turn red while they are in the intersection and they could be T-boned.

In my opinion, the yellow light should be on longer. That could solve the problem.