The feel of LPSG

hung_big: Hey All!

Alright, I thought I would address this issue because it's something near and dear to my heart. That is to say, LPSG is changing, and not for the better.

Of course, I don't want to make it sound like this site is deteriorating before my eyes, but it definetly is changing. There are a few things in the last while that I have noticed...

The atmosphere here is becoming very edgy. It almost seems as if people are constantely irritable here. If there is one place where you can vent, it's definetly LPSG, but I beg you all to not come on here with pent-up frustration and rage, just to release it on those of us who are trying to have a good time. I'm not accusing anyone in particular, but just the site as a whole.

We are at each-other's necks for so many different reasons. With all these discussions on politics and relgion it has us up to our eyeballs in disagreement. Of course, this is probably one of the best places on the internet to have such discussions because of the various intellects we have on this site and I'm not saying that we should stop them all together, but if you see that if you are going into a topic expecting to be worked up and angered, do NOT read it. I could probably tell you every regular's views on any given political or relgious topic and it isn't always needed that one broadcast their views. I have respect for people like DMW and CarolinaCurious who can have a level-headed discussion about relgion and learn from each-other.

I personally know quite a few people on this site and everyone I talk to has had their fair share of disappointments, arguments and disagreements. It always shocks me to see that (sorry for naming names) that people so amazing such as Jacinto, Jana, Nixxy, Skai, Freddie and many others are recieving such tactless PMs and responces. I hope this stops, because if we continue this way, we are going to drive each-other away, or end up forming little cliques.

One thing I have admired about LPSG the most is its realness. The people on this site that are of any quality, present themselves for exactly who they are, so please do not interpert this message as a cop for anyone to facade themselves into being somebody they are not. I just hope that we can all, myself included be more considerate of each-other when posting.

I love this site, and I love the people here. I don't think I could get by as well as I do now without you guys. I never thought I could get so attached over the internet, but it has happened. I want to make sure this forum is as great as I know it can be; by that I mean that we need to be the loving people I know we are capable of.

Before I go, I would like to offer my apologies to anyone I might have hurt, offended or tactlessly treated during my duration here at LPSG.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by hung_big@Apr 27 2005, 03:23 AM
Hey All!

Alright, I thought I would address this issue because it's something near and dear to my heart. That is to say, LPSG is changing, and not for the better.

Of course, I don't want to make it sound like this site is deteriorating before my eyes, but it definetly is changing. There are a few things in the last while that I have noticed...

The atmosphere here is becoming very edgy. It almost seems as if people are constantely irritable here. If there is one place where you can vent, it's definetly LPSG, but I beg you all to not come on here with pent-up frustration and rage, just to release it on those of us who are trying to have a good time. I'm not accusing anyone in particular, but just the site as a whole.

We are at each-other's necks for so many different reasons. With all these discussions on politics and relgion it has us up to our eyeballs in disagreement. Of course, this is probably one of the best places on the internet to have such discussions because of the various intellects we have on this site and I'm not saying that we should stop them all together, but if you see that if you are going into a topic expecting to be worked up and angered, do NOT read it. I could probably tell you every regular's views on any given political or relgious topic and it isn't always needed that one broadcast their views. I have respect for people like DMW and CarolinaCurious who can have a level-headed discussion about relgion and learn from each-other.

I personally know quite a few people on this site and everyone I talk to has had their fair share of disappointments, arguments and disagreements. It always shocks me to see that (sorry for naming names) that people so amazing such as Jacinto, Jana, Nixxy, Skai, Freddie and many others are recieving such tactless PMs and responces. I hope this stops, because if we continue this way, we are going to drive each-other away, or end up forming little cliques.

One thing I have admired about LPSG the most is its realness. The people on this site that are of any quality, present themselves for exactly who they are, so please do not interpert this message as a cop for anyone to facade themselves into being somebody they are not. I just hope that we can all, myself included be more considerate of each-other when posting.

I love this site, and I love the people here. I don't think I could get by as well as I do now without you guys. I never thought I could get so attached over the internet, but it has happened. I want to make sure this forum is as great as I know it can be; by that I mean that we need to be the loving people I know we are capable of.

Before I go, I would like to offer my apologies to anyone I might have hurt, offended or tactlessly treated during my duration here at LPSG.
[post=305236]Quoted post[/post]​

Are you telling us that you are going again? Chris, you have tried to be a real peacemaker and I appreciate it. I think this is the natural course of things. Every action has an equal reaction. Just as many members have felt free to express themselves openly on the board, others are having their say as well. I am sorry that it may not be done in a polite fashion but .....this happens with freedom of speech. I would hope that people would be kind to one another, but when we bring boxing gloves to the party there is a good chance that someone may get hit. Perhaps we will at some point reach a state of equilibrium without having permanent damage done to this special place. I really do hope so.

Naughty

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by hung_big@Apr 26 2005, 10:23 PM
[post=305236]Quoted post[/post]​
Very well written for a person as young as you. You have realy matured here and you have found your way here. That is wonderful.

NOTICE TO THE ADULTS:

Right or wrong, good or bad we have young peole form ages 12 through young adult which is whatever age the young person thinks is it, that look to up to us. Some of these guys have no father at home. Or they don't communicate with them. Some of us older guys are father figures for these guys. Some of you younger men are the only brothers some of the young men have.

So let's have real discussions. But let's now forget that who is reading our posts and looking up to us. It is a responsibility that I take seriously. I also take it willingly. To know that I helped anyone gives me self worth.

Chris, you are special to me. When you are 18, I would love to meet you.

Pappy

Media
Chris, I know what you mean. Some folks here want to try and force their opinions and beliefs on everyone here, that's NOT COOL!! Everybody knows who I'm talking about so I'm not going to name names. One member is always very negative and condescending of anyone that disagrees with their point of view.

When I first came here it was a place of questions and answers. People were polite and respectful of others. I think the biggest fuss was about the validity of some members size claims, and the trolls coming here and disrupting things.

While everyone is welcome here, let's all try to show some respect for each other. Let's try to remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion and that that opinion should be respected, even if it differs from yours.

I think we should try our very best to keep threads on religion and politics to a minimum. Those topics seen to be the ones that bring out the worst in people. Besides what does religon or politics either one have to do with having a large penis??

OK, I'll STFU now.

DadsAreUs

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Chris,

I have been visiting this site for about a year and a half. I know I'm not a regular poster but I'm not a lurker either so I thought i would throw in my two cents and say that the site does not seem to have changed all that much in that time. Most discussions are still about penis size, masturbation, celebrities, etc with a fair number of off-topic discussions mostly confined to the off-topic locations. If I've observed any changes here I would say it is an increased clicquiness (which I am not sure is a word). But that's probably just my own misperception.

MG

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Personally, I think the perceived "cliquishness" is just the regular posters and that's fairly normal, given the fact that we are getting to know each other so well. The mood here ebbs and flows, I don't think we are having a particularly hard time now but maybe my tolerance is higher. Most of us have agreed to keep the off topic posts in Etc so anyone not wishing to engage in the more heated discussions knows what to avoid.

I think we do an above average job of welcoming newcommers and including them in discussions. I've been on other boards where no one would respond to my posts at all, and we don't do that here. I've been here about as long as MisterGrasso and I agree that things are really pretty much status quo. I've said it before, but I think once in a while we need something more challenging to discuss than just big dicks, not that I ever tire of those!

Love to all! Jana

summertime01

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i just stay away from the volatile subjects. Sometimes it's very difficult to have a discussion when not able to actually look someone in the eye while conversing. There is some pickiness among a couple of the regulars & some has been directed towards me, but I just shrug it off, it's usually due to 'not-enough-experience' & not ignorance.
YOU all do a good job at making newcomers feel welcome.
I have read many of the older posts from a couple years ago & while it seemed less picky then, I think the regulars & Mark are doing pretty great.

carolinacurious: I agree with Mark and with a lot HB has to say and also with Freddie here and in his excellent post/thread on posting and free speech. I appreciate the compliment received here and also from Freddie in his thread. I wish I always lived up to the compliments.

Certainly some of our threads have gone off the deep end. I also think many threads die just as we have finally defined terms and things are just getting interesting.

Recently there was an episode where it seemed like racial issues were infecting every topic AND I DO NOT BLAME ANY ONE MEMBER, personally, I could have done without that. If I have any agreement with you and Pappy specifically on LIMITING political discussion, it would be that: A. it's really not any fun when people stop discussing issues and start discussing each other and; B. Sometimes it's a pain when a topic seems to spread across MANY threads (although I've never been on a board where that hasn't happened to some degree.)

I feel that I have been guilty of injecting politics into discussions occasionally that could have done without them but I am glad we discuss politics here. I also can say that I am glad (lucky?) that the few times I have come out "guns a blazin'" on something political, sometimes just to get a discussion started, other times because I probably am venting a little too much frustration here, someone else here came back with a reasonable response and we were able to have a good discussion rather than a flame war. I try to do that myself too when I can.

HB, I think you're cool. It took me awhile to keep you separate from all the other "hungs" we've got around here but I look forward to your posts. I did want to mention something I noticed while looking through some older threads the other day; it concerns popcorn. On several boards I've been on, when you see a flame war about to happen, someone usually says something about getting the popcorn or popping some popcorn (to sit back and watch). I see this in several ways, it's annoying as hell when it's misused or overused although I haven't seen it here much. It can sometimes come across as a useless post (but I don't understand why many people post many of the things that get posted around here -- and that's fine); it can also serve as a warning, it doesn't always work but sometimes it's a reminder to people that maybe they ought to stop and think for a second. Anyway, I hate to see an eruption over something that I believe is somewhat of an accepted code around the web.

I hate that it seems that we've lost some members as of late but I suspect most of them will be back. I also can't understand how people decide that they can't be part of a community anymore (that has thousands of members) over something that one or two people have written. Use "ignore" for pete's sake, or better yet take a break as Mark said. And you don't have to tell me you are taking a break either, but go ahead if you want to although I probably won't read it, which is exactly what I suggest that people who don't enjoy discussing politics do with the political threads.

I'm bothered about the nasty PM's. On the one hand, Mark has rightly pointed out that bickering on the board isn't helpful and it probably should go "private" but on the other hand, I'm in a difficult and stimulating discussion with DMW where I KNOW he's defending someone he doesn't agree with on all issues, (the Pope, in case you missed it) and I hear he's been getting nasty PM's calling him names, that's not what I want. There's really no call for it. And whoever you are, do you think it's actually going to do ANYTHING positive?

Anyway, thanks for the post Hung Big, I enjoy discussing politics and I'm glad you're here.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
firstly, this is a time of year in which people in general tend to get edgy. secondly, there have been a lot of things going on recently (not just this year but in the past few years) that have not improved the general demeanor of most people on this horrid little planet of ours. let's face it, the "new" millennium has been a big shit sandwich for most of us so far. as with all such episodes, it will pass sooner or later - probably sooner in the case of this forum since most people here are fairly well-balanced and intelligent. these things are rarely worth worrying about.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dr Rock!

What are we going to do with you? LOL! I have to put some of your quotes away for posterity.You are beginning to rival Dr.Phil these days. But seriously I appreciate your contextualizing some of this for us all!

Naughty

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm too much of a hot headed and stubborn person to get stuck in any of those "controversial" threads. So if it's anything serious about religion or politics, I try very hard to steer clear. I find that when I get in a heated discussion, it ruins my days and I inadvertently take it out on my family. I know it shouldn't, but it does.

Steve26

1st LPSG Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I agree that the LPSG tends to be somewhat cliquish, although I've been here on and off for 4-5 years and don't feel that it's any more so now than in the past. I think it's inevitable that the folks who spend hours a day on the site will form close friendships here. Steve

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I don't think the board has changed. A few people who have very strong personalities join every once in a while and get a lot of attention. But their candles seem to burn out quickly and they disappear.

As for cliques on the board - yes we have them but they are, for the most part, harmless strokes and pats on the back, to say nothing of playfulness like flesh piles.

I guess the closest members are the ones who communicate off the board in private messages, e-mails and IM's but I only do that when I have a special comment that I don't want broadcast to other members so I'm not very clique-ish - I never have been.

Love,

your over-the-hill, celibate, heterosexual, Republican wallflower.

Dr. Bubbles

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think that a lot of people have probably been reading many of the post, especially those that tend to be controversial and have steered away from them. That is an intimidation mechanism, regardless of how we perceive it or how we articulate it. Some people are plainly better at addressing their issues and thus, fair better when debating. Unfortunately, on the flip side, there are those among us who do side up with those people whom we feel are better at debating their issue than others. Sometimes we may need to consider backing away and really thinking about what is being discussed. From that, we form our opinions and then we suggest those in a way that is not to circumvent the other persons views. That is democracy and that is a person freedom we, as Americans, have. It is not the intention of LPSG to defame or isolate members or future members, which I do think we have done. I have had conversations with so many people regarding comments made, the cliques that have been formed and the retaliation of those who go against the grain in their post.

I am not suggesting that people cease their debates or dialogue. However, I think it was be reasonable for us to assume that others might be withdrawn because we may come across as harsh and rash in our ideologies. It is unfortunate, as I would like to see everyone be able to state their opinions and for each of us weigh those philosophies that might counter our own. I am not saying we should forfeit what we believe, but we should be more open-minded and a little more receptive of those opinions. Debate is good if it can be a stimuli that forges us to be more conceptual and more philosophical about the world, our views of the world and our own interpretations of those philosophical ideologies. To shut those down those ideas that are different than our own serves as an injustice and a mockery to the very board that so many of us value and hold dear.

Tolerance and appreciation of people's ideas is crucial in our own personal development. Moreover, it permits structural growth that can impact so many facets within out lives. I encourage us to empower each other and to carefully listen to one another. I may still disagree with you in the end, but at least I now have another perception that I can draw upon in making other decisions. Appreciation of people is a courtesy that we should extend to everyone - not the few, elite or those of us who are more aggressive in our views....

Hey... don't kill the messenger... Just my thoughts.

jeepwranglerboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'd have to agree with Mark, Jana and Pecker. Granted I haven't been here all that long but I certainly do not see any change. I think there is a natural ebb and flow that occurs. There are times when I have so much to say on so many different topics and there are times when I am pretty bored. There are also times when a member will just annoy the shit outta me and I realize that I need to step back, take a breath and exhale and not let it get to me. As far as the clique is concerned, I feel that people feel that the regular posters are an elite group. Jana said it best, I am an elite asshole but by no means am I part of an elite group here. Our voices are all equal. Of course I am going to be more willing to listen to someone that posts regularly than someone that pops in once very blue moon but that doesn't mean that I still will not listen to what they have to say. I am a very passionate person but I am working on not letting that passion overcome me and let me say rash things that I may regret later. I love so many people here and I assume that they know whom they are but that doesn't mean that there is no room for a new member to win my affections. When in doubt laugh it all off.

txquis

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
No, sweetie, the board doesnt really change.
Message boards always have highs and lows.
I was sensitive to that for awhile until i realized that
people on a board are like people you know......
Some get busy,
Some fight,
Some make up,
Some fly the coop.

I believe you have to either have a certain amount of time,
or a certain amount of lonesomeness/or wanting to make a connection,
to spend a lot of time on a message board.

My time and tone on the board is dependent upon my
time/lonesomeness factor.

It is normal.
It is just part of it.
This is the way message boards are.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by carolinacurious@Apr 27 2005, 07:55 AM
I agree with Mark and with a lot HB has to say and also with Freddie here and in his excellent post/thread on posting and free speech. I appreciate the compliment received here and also from Freddie in his thread. I wish I always lived up to the compliments.

[post=305316]Quoted post[/post]​
Thanks Carolina, for that compliment. Two compliments in one paragraph. What is so wonderful about that is that Carolina and I aren't on the same page about the Pope. I am more in DMW's corner. And then Carolina goes on to condemn and nasty pm's to DMW.

This is democracy and free speech my father taught me. I love it Carolina. I love it to have a dear friend which I now consider you to be and we can be on different sides on the pope. But we agree about so many other things.

Friendships are not about agreeing on a topic. Friendships are about dialogue, love, compassion, and being there for the other person when they are down.

Carolina is being there for DMW when He is being attacked for being for the Pope while at the same time Carolina doesn't agree with DMW. That is the mark of a true friend and I might add democracy at its best.

Your post, Carolina, made my day.

This is what Chris is looking for. When he first joined we all showed him so much support and he notice anything else on the board. We were there for him when he needed usand how much has he matured. But he is still a teenager. But we forget that sometimes. And now he is noticing what was going on with the bantor, discussions and such. And I haven't researched it, but I am sure he has gotten some adult responses that people might have worded a little different if they realized they were writing to a 15 year old.

Chris and many others here need emotional support. For some this is THEIR family.

To Chris,

We haven't forgotten what you went through several months ago. We are proud that you have come this far. I am surprised that you have made this much progress this soon. I believe we have helped. You stay right here with your LPSG friends, and ignore anything poster that bothers you. Stay away from posts that you don't want to read. Don't read posts from people who bring you down. Ignore them.

I love you son,

Freddie

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I haven't noticed any real changes. This is till a site where we can freely speak our minds and stay friends afterwards. The debates can get pretty heated, but that's nothing new here. I can argue with my family without hating them.

Originally posted by carolinacurious@Apr 27 2005, 12:55 PM
I'm in a difficult and stimulating discussion with DMW where I KNOW he's defending someone he doesn't agree with on all issues, (the Pope, in case you missed it) and I hear he's been getting nasty PM's calling him names, that's not what I want.

And that is probably the most heated discussion currently going on. Carolinacurious and GottaBigOne don't hate, or even dislike, me (unless I'm missing something), nor do I bear any malice towards them. We differ in our opinions concerning the Pope, but I respect their right to their opinions, and I feel certain that they feel the same towards me. Personally, I think it's a pretty pointless discussion considering we can't even agree on what that now infamous letter really meant. I'd prefer to direct my distaste to someone like Fred 'God Hates Fags' Phelps: there's no mistaking his feeling on the subject. But we are still free to discuss without it hurting the good will of the board.

Altairion

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I know I haven't been around here as much as I would have liked to recently (been busy with projects/tests), but in some ways I have noticed a small shift in my perceived balance on the board.

In my mind, we have more active people than others at times. It is these active people that tend to dictate the tone of the board. There will always be fluctuations along those lines.

I seriously hope that you aren't considering leaving Chris because you have had a positive influence on everyone here, including me, and I've enjoyed hearing what you have had to say.

- Alt