The feel of LPSG

ravenously:
Originally posted by hung_big@Apr 26 2005, 11:23 PM
Hey All!

Alright, I thought I would address this issue because it's something near and dear to my heart. That is to say, LPSG is changing, and not for the better.

Of course, I don't want to make it sound like this site is deteriorating before my eyes, but it definetly is changing. There are a few things in the last while that I have noticed...

The atmosphere here is becoming very edgy. It almost seems as if people are constantely irritable here. If there is one place where you can vent, it's definetly LPSG, but I beg you all to not come on here with pent-up frustration and rage, just to release it on those of us who are trying to have a good time. I'm not accusing anyone in particular, but just the site as a whole.

We are at each-other's necks for so many different reasons. With all these discussions on politics and relgion it has us up to our eyeballs in disagreement. Of course, this is probably one of the best places on the internet to have such discussions because of the various intellects we have on this site and I'm not saying that we should stop them all together, but if you see that if you are going into a topic expecting to be worked up and angered, do NOT read it. I could probably tell you every regular's views on any given political or relgious topic and it isn't always needed that one broadcast their views. I have respect for people like DMW and CarolinaCurious who can have a level-headed discussion about relgion and learn from each-other.

I personally know quite a few people on this site and everyone I talk to has had their fair share of disappointments, arguments and disagreements. It always shocks me to see that (sorry for naming names) that people so amazing such as Jacinto, Jana, Nixxy, Skai, Freddie and many others are recieving such tactless PMs and responces. I hope this stops, because if we continue this way, we are going to drive each-other away, or end up forming little cliques.

One thing I have admired about LPSG the most is its realness. The people on this site that are of any quality, present themselves for exactly who they are, so please do not interpert this message as a cop for anyone to facade themselves into being somebody they are not. I just hope that we can all, myself included be more considerate of each-other when posting.

I love this site, and I love the people here. I don't think I could get by as well as I do now without you guys. I never thought I could get so attached over the internet, but it has happened. I want to make sure this forum is as great as I know it can be; by that I mean that we need to be the loving people I know we are capable of.

Before I go, I would like to offer my apologies to anyone I might have hurt, offended or tactlessly treated during my duration here at LPSG.
[post=305236]Quoted post[/post]​

I too have noticed a change in the short amount of time that I've been here. And I think that alot of it comes from the increased number of religious/political threads being posted. I've even seen a recent thread in which bodily harm was threatened against a certian beloved floridian member. Now, I don't think that LPSG members should shy away from expressing thier views and believes ( how boring would that be?), but I think we should ask ourselves what we are trying to accomplish with our posts and retorts. The same thing can be said in many different ways. I am for open and eager exchanges of ideas and information, and that is not accomplished by baiting and insulting each other.

blackwood

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by ravenously+Apr 27 2005, 09:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ravenously &#064; Apr 27 2005, 09:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-hung_big@Apr 26 2005, 11:23 PM
Hey All&#33;

Alright, I thought I would address this issue because it&#39;s something near and dear to my heart. That is to say, LPSG is changing, and not for the better.

Of course, I don&#39;t want to make it sound like this site is deteriorating before my eyes, but it definetly is changing. There are a few things in the last while that I have noticed...

The atmosphere here is becoming very edgy. It almost seems as if people are constantely irritable here. If there is one place where you can vent, it&#39;s definetly LPSG, but I beg you all to not come on here with pent-up frustration and rage, just to release it on those of us who are trying to have a good time. I&#39;m not accusing anyone in particular, but just the site as a whole.

We are at each-other&#39;s necks for so many different reasons. With all these discussions on politics and relgion it has us up to our eyeballs in disagreement. Of course, this is probably one of the best places on the internet to have such discussions because of the various intellects we have on this site and I&#39;m not saying that we should stop them all together, but if you see that if you are going into a topic expecting to be worked up and angered, do NOT read it. I could probably tell you every regular&#39;s views on any given political or relgious topic and it isn&#39;t always needed that one broadcast their views. I have respect for people like DMW and CarolinaCurious who can have a level-headed discussion about relgion and learn from each-other.

I personally know quite a few people on this site and everyone I talk to has had their fair share of disappointments, arguments and disagreements. It always shocks me to see that (sorry for naming names) that people so amazing such as Jacinto, Jana, Nixxy, Skai, Freddie and many others are recieving such tactless PMs and responces. I hope this stops, because if we continue this way, we are going to drive each-other away, or end up forming little cliques.

One thing I have admired about LPSG the most is its realness. The people on this site that are of any quality, present themselves for exactly who they are, so please do not interpert this message as a cop for anyone to facade themselves into being somebody they are not. I just hope that we can all, myself included be more considerate of each-other when posting.

I love this site, and I love the people here. I don&#39;t think I could get by as well as I do now without you guys. I never thought I could get so attached over the internet, but it has happened. I want to make sure this forum is as great as I know it can be; by that I mean that we need to be the loving people I know we are capable of.

Before I go, I would like to offer my apologies to anyone I might have hurt, offended or tactlessly treated during my duration here at LPSG.
[post=305236]Quoted post[/post]​

I too have noticed a change in the short amount of time that I&#39;ve been here. And I think that alot of it comes from the increased number of religious/political threads being posted. I&#39;ve even seen a recent thread in which bodily harm was threatened against a certian beloved floridian member. Now, I don&#39;t think that LPSG members should shy away from expressing thier views and believes ( how boring would that be?), but I think we should ask ourselves what we are trying to accomplish with our posts and retorts. The same thing can be said in many different ways. I am for open and eager exchanges of ideas and information, and that is not accomplished by baiting and insulting each other.
[post=305500]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

--

I&#39;m trying to keep a low profile on this one, cause maybe I am part of the decline and???

blackwood

yaoifun

Just Browsing
Media
I see how it&#39;s changing, yet staying the same...we&#39;re always changing&#33; And yes, debates can get pretty heated, and I *usually* try to stay out of them. I hope no one thinks I don&#39;t like any of you, because I really do care about each and every one of you, you&#39;re like my second family. Our behavior is almost like a sine wave, sometimes were hot headed, other time we&#39;re cool as cucumbers&#33; That is no different from before, because, at least since I&#39;ve been here which is a while, but nothing compared to most, have been and most probably always will be consistantly inconsistant with our behavior/attidudes....some things just never change :p I also don&#39;t think any cliques are forming, unless you wanna call the posters posters and the lurkers lurkers, there really isn&#39;t any cliquery (is that even a word?) going on here. I just hope you all know how much I love ya&#33; *hugs and kises for everyone*

hung_big: Well, Well...good to see my thread got some posts.

It&#39;s interesting to see how people view the exact same subject, and many people brought up very good points, on both sides of the proverbial fence.

A few things:

Yay&#33; I&#39;m glad that Carolina likes me :D. It made my day hun&#33; I have much respect for you and a compliment from you is something I hold in high esteem. Thank-you&#33;

Thanks for all those who put in their input. It&#39;s great to see how people of different "eras" per se view it. I can see how both sides view it.

Though, I still stick by what I say earlier. It almost seems that people come to site intending to get pissed off and retaliate. I hope this inspired some to stop. Much Love&#33;

One last thing. Thanks for all those who were concerned about me leaving, but sorry to burst yer bubble ;) I&#39;m NOT&#33; :p

As for the break suggestion, I want everyone to understand this thread didn&#39;t come out of concern for ME, but for a few friends of mine. Like somebody said, it&#39;s natural to form friendships when you spend several hours a day on this site with one another, and I have. I&#39;ve noticed alot of these people getting either tactlessly approached by the site or just being bummed out about what people have said. Even if it is somebody I don&#39;t know on a very personal level, like Jacinto, and he recieves some vulgur PMs, it raises my proverbial antenna and I try to be more aware and considerate (Jacinto also raises my other antenna, but that&#39;s another issue all together :p).

Thanks for all the comments and concern, I see that everyone is just as concerned as I am. Much Love,

Chris

carolinacurious:
And that is probably the most heated discussion currently going on. Carolinacurious and GottaBigOne don&#39;t hate, or even dislike, me (unless I&#39;m missing something), nor do I bear any malice towards them. We differ in our opinions concerning the Pope, but I respect their right to their opinions, and I feel certain that they feel the same towards me. Personally, I think it&#39;s a pretty pointless discussion considering we can&#39;t even agree on what that now infamous letter really meant. I&#39;d prefer to direct my distaste to someone like Fred &#39;God Hates Fags&#39; Phelps: there&#39;s no mistaking his feeling on the subject. But we are still free to discuss without it hurting the good will of the board.

How could I not like DMW? Of course I like DMW. And I completely agree with at least the first half of the above paragraph and I knew that DMW had no ill will towards me. I&#39;m excited that there&#39;s FINALLY something we disagree on so I can debate with one of the best here.

GBO and I are kinda going back and forth a little too. I think we&#39;re actually in about 99% agreement and haggling over the 1% so that&#39;s all in good fun for me and I hope it&#39;s mutual.

In this discussion, DMW and I do have an actual disagreement but I also frequently like to debate people who&#39;s opinions mirror mine BUT that have given me difficulty (the opinions not the people) to see how they have worked it out and see if I can make my own argument even stronger. So "like", "dislike" really doesn&#39;t enter into for me at all but it would certainly be a mistake, in my case, to assume that if I&#39;m debating you that I don&#39;t like you. It&#39;s much more likely that exactly the opposite is the case.

As for whether or not the discussion is pointless. I don&#39;t think so because I think we&#39;re having a good debate; I think more people are following it than are necessarily posting about it. While I haven&#39;t really changed my opinion much I feel like I know you better than before and have had to closely examine my own opinions and reasoning behind them, something that&#39;s always a good thing as far as I&#39;m concerned.

In my better discussions I like to think that someone may find them months from now through google and find something worthwhile. I believe it may have been something political that led me to this site years ago by the same method.

At this point I know I&#39;ve got at least one good Pope post left in me and I&#39;ll see what happens then.

clownboots19: I could have told you about the site hostility long before you recently noticed it. Anyone with non-liberal views who expresses his or her opinions through a post about political or other non-penis related matters had better be ready for what comes next. Because most of the "regulars" and even people in more important places on this website will give you hell....that&#39;s why I don&#39;t post nearly as much as I used to, and I changed my screen name from what it was when I originally found this site.

DadsAreUs

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by yaoifun@Apr 27 2005, 11:48 PM
I also don&#39;t think any cliques are forming, unless you wanna call the posters posters and the lurkers lurkers, there really isn&#39;t any cliquery (is that even a word?) going on here.
[post=305543]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, I kind of hedged my bet on the clique issue and will now freely admit I was probably wrong to bring it up. Also, if I can make up cliquiness you can invent cliquery, I&#39;m sure.

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I&#39;m still too new here to speak to whether things are changing/have changed, but I&#39;d imagine that, given the fact that we are all human (I think ;)), drift and flow with the conversation would be normal. Moods change, and the overall chemistry of the group will evolve with the addition and departure of voices.

As to debating big issues, I find it encouraging and reassuring to think that we can discuss such topics with rationality, intelligence, and respect for one another&#39;s views. From what I&#39;ve seen so far, that doesn&#39;t always happen, but for the most part, I think the group does a good job with that.

The reason I decided to jump in and join the LPSG was because of that very sort of accepting and positive yet challenging environment. And while I knew that eventually my gods would fall and I&#39;d be reminded that even here, human frailties would cause us to dip below that standard, it still stung when it happened.

It&#39;s funny to me how we all (myself included) can be so accepting and tolerant about some issues and yet so inflammatory and arrogant about others. It seems that if one realizes that he or she needs and deserves encouragement, support, and acceptance from others that he or she would be the last person to send offensive pm&#39;s or respond with "I don&#39;t give a damn" to someone else&#39;s heartfelt beliefs. Who among us needs more of that in our lives?

I&#39;d like to think that we are capable of having mature conversations about this stuff. I know enough about myself to know that there are certain issues that I can&#39;t be as objective about as I should and, for the most part, I&#39;ll try to measure my words in those cases and take care not to post in anger or irritation or sometimes at all&#33; Plus, I find that humor can often be used to make a point and lighten the mood simultaneously.

I&#39;m a big believer in personal responsibility, and I hope that, if I were to ever step on anyone&#39;s toes, I would realize it and offer an apology. And if I didn&#39;t, I&#39;d hope that someone would pm me and tell me I should. (OK, you all officially have permission to watchdog me and my big mouth. :D )

Perhaps everyone could agree to that?

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Chris ,

Thank you for starting this thread.This is a cathartic device for all of us.
I really was feeling out of sorts and resigned when I answered you at the beginning of the thread. But this has definitely shown that perception is a major part of how we all process things. I think that everyone has given some real food for thought in their subsequent posts and I hope it will be the beginning of a new way of dealing with one another.

Naughty

jimmyjoejeater

Sexy Member
Media
I was on a board in yahoo called All Things Greyhound as I have greyhounds and love the bread but in that group of people their arose a debate regarding the racing industry and it turned into a name calling match. The result was that the owner of the board deleted it. It was so sad to see such a fine group of people who really cared for and worked countless hours rescuing greyhounds break up in that manor.

What I think the real problem was:
When we write our feelings down, the next person who reads them IS going to put their own spin/add their own emotion to it. It may have been written in a humorous context but when the next person reads it they might see it as an angry context or a belittling context. This is most true of subjects that touch our basic belief systems and everyones is different.

What I believe you are asking us to do it be tolerant of eachother and I applaud you for stating it so elequently.

Jimmy

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by ChimeraTX@Apr 28 2005, 08:13 PM
I hope I am not considered someone who is lowering the forum&#39;s quality, but my diving into controversial topics probably isn&#39;t helping that reputation. I have yet to enter a religon topic, partly because I&#39;m agnostic, and partly because I have seen my father(atheist) argue for hours on end about religon. :wow:

It&#39;s difficult to stay away from some particular topics, perhaps you know which ones, for me. I try to stay civil in most topics, and I try to leave after people start insulting one another. :eyes:

I really hope I haven&#39;t lower the board&#39;s quality, as I really enjoy posting here. :)
[post=305986]Quoted post[/post]​
Don&#39;t worry at all. I enjoy reading your posts. It thrills me that you research and know so much about genetics and all the mutation information and racial differences and all of that. You don&#39;t talk out of the top of your head. You do research. I don&#39;t always understand it. Jonb sometimes corrects you on some of your research. But as a retired teacher I just sit here with pride when I see a young man your age having such knowledge and doing so much research. You are way beyond me in some of this. But that is OK.

If anything you have raised the level here. You have shown that people at this site can be young and brilliant and can write and do research. You are a class act.

Freddie

dufus

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I agree with Mister Mark and madame zora. The thing I like about this board is the lively interchange between people of widely different ages and orientations. It blows my mind that people whose age might differ by 50 years or more can be so open and accepting with each other. I am a shy guy, and all my life I have never had lots to say around strangers. But I really enjoy reading all of your posts.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Chimera,

I may disagree vehemently with much of what you have to say, but your brilliance and clarity of thought can not be questioned. I would love to hear what you have to say about some of the myriad of other topics.

Naughty

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by ChimeraTX@Apr 29 2005, 01:13 AM
I hope I am not considered someone who is lowering the forum&#39;s quality, but my diving into controversial topics probably isn&#39;t helping that reputation. I have yet to enter a religon topic, partly because I&#39;m agnostic, and partly because I have seen my father(atheist) argue for hours on end about religon. :wow:

It&#39;s difficult to stay away from some particular topics, perhaps you know which ones, for me. I try to stay civil in most topics, and I try to leave after people start insulting one another. :eyes:

I really hope I haven&#39;t lower the board&#39;s quality, as I really enjoy posting here. :)
[post=305986]Quoted post[/post]​

Chimera, no one wants to limit anyone&#39;s free speech, not even me&#33; I do appreciate the clarity with which you speak and the obvious intelligence with which you deliver your ideas. This does not excuse the intention behind some of it. If you had half as much to say on other topics, I would be less suspicious, but dammit if your contributions don&#39;t tend to be almost exclusively about one inflamatory topic, and you know that&#39;s true.

If you really care about the board, and do not wish to lower it&#39;s integrity, please spread your good self around more&#33; I&#39;m sure you have much more to offer us that negativity only. With your abilities and insights, I&#39;d would enjoy hearing things from you that are not argumentative in nature, you don&#39;t always have to debate to make a point, and you don&#39;t always have to make a point to educate. There is much you could do here, and I look forward to it.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by dufus@Apr 29 2005, 02:50 AM
It blows my mind that people whose age might differ by 50 years or more can be so open and accepting with each other.
[post=306021]Quoted post[/post]​
well really, what&#39;s the reason not to be? it don&#39;t matter how old anyone is as long as they don&#39;t let it define WHO they are. one of my best friends will be 60 at the end of this year. sure the majority of people are always gonna let themselves be carried along by the societal expectations of age and its implications, but that just makes the ones who DON&#39;T more important.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by Lex@May 3 2005, 09:21 AM
Okay, now that we&#39;ve reaffirmed that we all love and appreciate each other, can we get back to the FLESH Pile please?&#33;?&#33; :evilgrin:
[post=307409]Quoted post[/post]​

*rips off Lex&#39;s sexy black shorts and dives in*

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by Dr Rock+Apr 29 2005, 07:49 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rock &#064; Apr 29 2005, 07:49 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-dufus@Apr 29 2005, 02:50 AM
It blows my mind that people whose age might differ by 50 years or more can be so open and accepting with each other.
well really, what&#39;s the reason not to be? it don&#39;t matter how old anyone is as long as they don&#39;t let it define WHO they are. one of my best friends will be 60 at the end of this year. sure the majority of people are always gonna let themselves be carried along by the societal expectations of age and its implications, but that just makes the ones who DON&#39;T more important.
[post=306140]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Thanks Dr. Rock. At age 54. That means a lot to me. I love people in general. And I don&#39;t just base it on whether they agree with me. My best friend is a Repubican. We debate it some and then let it rest for a while.

I love Pecker. And he is ahem, er, a Republican. But he is still funny and humorous. You and I aren&#39;t on the same page as for religion, but outside that we agree most of the time. Good post you made.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Originally posted by Freddie53+May 3 2005, 11:58 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Freddie53 &#064; May 3 2005, 11:58 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Dr Rock@Apr 29 2005, 07:49 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-dufus
@Apr 29 2005, 02:50 AM

Thanks Dr. Rock. At age 54. That means a lot to me. I love people in general. And I don&#39;t just base it on whether they agree with me. My best friend is a Repubican. We debate it some and then let it rest for a while.

I love Pecker. And he is ahem, er, a Republican. But he is still funny and humorous. You and I aren&#39;t on the same page as for religion, but outside that we agree most of the time. Good post you made.
[post=307497]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Thanks, Pops. I just turned 59 according to the calendar but it seems that everybody&#39;s growing older except me. Outside I may in fact be a geezer but inside I&#39;m still young, dumb, error-prone, li&#39;l ol&#39; me.

I&#39;m not wise in years. I&#39;m just years ahead in Googling.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by Pecker+May 3 2005, 02:11 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pecker &#064; May 3 2005, 02:11 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Freddie53@May 3 2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Dr Rock@Apr 29 2005, 07:49 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-dufus
@Apr 29 2005, 02:50 AM

[post=307497]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks, Pops. I just turned 59 according to the calendar but it seems that everybody&#39;s growing older except me. Outside I may in fact be a geezer but inside I&#39;m still young, dumb, error-prone, li&#39;l ol&#39; me.

I&#39;m not wise in years. I&#39;m just years ahead in Googling.
[post=307537]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
We have birthdays 5 days apart. Amazing. And I have an older brother three years older then me. I know how you feel about everyone growing older except you. That is one reason I love this site. I am not discriminated against because of my age. I am accepted totally on what I write. I love it. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY a little late.

Pops