The "Fiscal Cliff"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by KTF40, Nov 10, 2012.

1. ConanTheBarber

Gold Member

A lot of nations that don't regard themselves as the world's keeper are generous in terms of foreign aid.
    Lots of reasons for doing that.
    And besides, the United States is not particularly generous anyway.
    It ranks 19th in terms of the development assistance it gives other countries as a percentage of its own gross national income.
    [ source ]

2. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    True, but as specified by The Source:

Thus, by definition, ODA does not include private donations.

I don't see a whole lot of Bill & Melinda Gates Foundations in the EU...

1. In terms of private donations of time and money, American citizens far outrank the ROW.

2. As a poor nation, would you rather have 10% of Malawi's GDP or .1% of the US GDP?

#242 Domisoldo, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  3. ConanTheBarber

Gold Member

"Foreign aid," as I understand it, is generally considered something given by governments.
    And foreign aid was the term used by hypoc8.
    It's of course true that assistance that comes privately is equally valuable to a developing nation. I couldn't deny that.
    It's true, and admirable, that American citizens are more generous than their government.
    But that isn't what I understood we were talking about.

As for whether I would rather have 10 percent of Malawi's GDP or 0.1 percent of the US's, of course I would rather have the latter.
    Nonetheless, as an expression of governmental generosity, Malawi's donation, while smaller, would be more generous.
    That is the point I was making.

4. dcsurvivor92

dcsurvivor92 Member

As part of my job, I process payroll for over a hundred employees. As for the payroll question that just won't go away, the government could give jack shit about when the work was performed. It goes by the pay date. If the work was performed in December, and paid on 1/3/2013, the new tax table would apply because of the Jan pay date. Taxes submitted to the government, by employers, are done so based on pay dates.

People may have a problem with this because they believe the work was completed in December, and therefore should be taxed in December but you need to get over it. Pay dates are predetermined and should not be changed. For example (based on bi-weekly payrolls), if you did a special payroll in December to cover that work performed, you would end up with 27 pays in 2012, instead of 26.

One way or another, it all comes out in the wash.......

5. KTF40

Gold Member

Albums:
    *waits for stormfront to pop in with bs flag and make a fool of himself again*

6. h0neymustard

h0neymustard New Member

-H. L. Mencken

7. StormfrontFL

Gold Member

Albums:
    Funny how you choose to overlook the issue of the pay date being Dec 2012 not Jan 2013

8. KTF40

Gold Member

Albums:
    Haha what did I say right? lol

And for those following along - http://www.lpsg.com/4495237-post208.html

"I just viewed my pay stub for the first check of the year." - cause you know one receives their first pay check of the year on December 2012

9. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

I got my paycheck this Friday. I'm paid weekly. The payment was for work I performed in 2012 as we are held back a week. The new rates went into effect because the check was written in 2013. Why is this so hard to understand?

10. StormfrontFL

Gold Member

Albums:
    What is it that you people can't understand? If your paycheck has a date of 2013 then 2013 rates will apply. If your paycheck is issued in 2012 and is dated 2012 then how in hell would 2013 rates apply. Going by the way you guys want to see things if Congress set higher rates for 2014 those rates could be applied to your January 2013 paycheck and that would be okay.

And just to keep KTF40 silent on this....
    I received a paycheck on Dec 28, 2012 and the 2012 rates applied. My next check will be on January 11, 2013 and will include one week that was worked in 2012. The check will have the 2013 rates applied. There is no argument there. What you both fail to comprehend is that if a check is issued and considered payable in 2012 then 2012 rates apply not 2013. If the check were dated Jan 1, 2013 then yes the new rates apply.

Now can we move on to something else? Here's a topic....McConnell still threatening to use the debt ceiling to force cuts to the social safety net. He even threatens a government shut down.

11. KTF40

Gold Member

Albums:
    http://www.lpsg.com/4495237-post208.html

What you just wrote sure is in direct contradiction to that post and virtually all of the ones after that where you felt the need to berate everyone who disagreed with you. But glad you learned something. Only took you nearly a week to figure it out.

Too bad you couldn't just admit you were wrong and apologize for being a prick.

12. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

Well no shit sherlock!

Moving along now...

13. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

Don't hold your breath waiting for that apology, reminds me of someone else that finally got themselves banned, much to my delight.

Some people just can't admit that they were wrong. It's always someone else.

14. sargon20

Gold Member

This should be no surprise. The GOP whether it is in the majority or minority it will use every tool available to it to force its agenda down our throats. This is how they work. Tactics are everything. There isn't a bar too low they won't use. Even after their antics cost the country over a billion dollars and a credit downgrade the first time around they are not through destroying the country. Another credit downgrade and more billions down the chute is irrelevant to getting your way.

And bullshit about passing debt to the 'our children' is again way down the list behind low taxes for companies and millionaires and the military industrial complex. Have they seen a war yet they didn't want to fight on credit?

15. StormfrontFL

Gold Member

Albums:
    Why don't you and KTF just get a room and spare us all from your little circle jerk?:rolleyes:
    Go back to where this all began and you'll see that KTF decided to issue an insult instead of accepting that it was right to question how someone could get a paycheck on Dec 28, 2012 with 2013 rates.

Since you both share a brain you can both share a space on the ignore list

16. StormfrontFL

Gold Member

Albums:
    McConnell went out of his way to avoid answering when asked if this whole issue could have been avoided if the GOP had just accepted the deal Obama offered in 2011. He just couldn't bring himself to say that protecting tax cuts for the wealthy was more of a priority.

17. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    This whole payroll cycle discussion at least underscores one important point:

Most of the "revenue" from this phony "fiscal cliff" deal will come from the expiration of the Social Security tax cut, now reverting to 6.2%.

This 2-point hike will hurt just about everyone, not just the so-called "rich".

18. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

^^This

19. StormfrontFL

Gold Member

Albums:
    I just can't bring myself to feel to upset about the 2% hike. It was meant to be temporary and to many people it wasn't too big a deal. If we are to address our fiscal problems we all need to make sacrifices. If the only tax increase had been the SS tax break expiring then outrage could be expected. As long as those in the upper income brackets, especially those who receive most of their income from investments, also see an increase in their taxes it's all fair.
    If the SS tax break was going to be seen as a problem surely the members of Congress would have proposed extending it.

20. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

I think the circle jerk is more your cup of tea.

I have my own brain thank you and I use it quite well. Just because I may or may not agree with you on a topic does not mean I'm ignorant, mis-informed, un-educated or a troll like you always like to throw out there when someone dares to question you line (or lack thereof) thinking.

I don't by any means think that I'm an expert of every topic that is discussed here like some of you do here.

By all means put me on ignore.

#260 hypoc8, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
Draft saved Draft deleted