The Flame Wars

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Martin van Burden, Jun 15, 2004.

1. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

I got an interesting private message from another user on the board. I checked his date of joining the board; he's quite new around these parts, and before he even made his first post, he opted to cancel his premium membership.

Now, what does that mean? Well, in the most basic sense, Mark lost $2.50 a month or possibly $24 for a year. It's just a bit of revenue, but considering how many more free members we have here than premium ones, that's quite a share of the profit margin.

I'm not claiming to know why this person canceled his premium membership, but I offer something for you flame war participants to reflect upon for the time being.

I've spoken in IMs with others who have noticed the increasing surge in flame war posts. It's nothing new. Our group has survived quite a bit of them, and we remain song. But, is it any small wonder that people use words like "immature," "bothersome," or "degenerate" to describe the level of activity going on around here? In the latest flame war thread, someone said that this place is supposed to be a support group -- and when I think of support, I think of people offering advice, perspective, or information to the betterment of someone else.

Are we all supposed to magically get along? No way. That just isn't possible.

Now, let's talk about that bandwidth again. If the LPSG is designed to be a support group and I'm on the right track about the "purpose" of this group, then it seems sensible to make the most out of Mark's investment in this place. If we're supposed to share information and stories and maintain a common level of interest in each other, then the more we do that, the better use we're making of this.

So, I say -- put up or shut up.

If you're shelling out the cash to help Mark keep this good thing goin' or if you try to bring revenue to the site through supporting those banner ads above, I think you have a privilege to say whatever the fuck you want to whomever you choose. Why? You're an investor. Class and economic politics aside, you're doing a good service to this board by chipping in your bucks, and for that, you are elected a certain amount of privilege. Mark gives you a little more bandwidth and I give you a little more leeway and respect to your content.

And to those of you who are essentially getting a free ride and are doing nothing better with it than calling each other coprocephalics and shitheads and bastards and fuckoffs and cocksuckers, I say... Shut the fuck up.

Really... all you're doing is wasting valuable time and bandwidth, nothing more than a oneupsmanship contest to see who can insult whom better, faster, harder, etc.

So, before you waste your keystrokes and waste more space and waste my time and the time of people who would rather read something interesting...

Ah, to hell with it. Shut up.

2. Max

Max New Member

Dee,

I can agree with most of what you have said. For what it is worth my view is that it is best to ignore the flame wars and those who perpetrate them — like any other flame they seem to feed on any fuel they can get .. so, best to starve them of oxygen (to distort the metaphor a little).

But ... I can't agree that I (for instance) as a premium member, have any more rights here than anyone else. Personally I divvied up (i) because I wanted to support the board, because I value it, and I think it is needed (I could have done with it as a young guy, but the internet — not to mention PCs — were a distant dream then :) ) and (ii) because I hope to save time by using some of the search features.

The best strategy to keep lpsg going and going well IMHO is to remember the old adage about what happens when good men do nothing. We'll survive this latest blip as we have survived a good few others.

3. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

Thank you, Dee. But, I have always thought when such posts are made, they should just be ignored. These members would be compelled to shut up, if on one answered. I usually read the posts, but just reply to those that are worthy of a reply. For once, I can say "not only do as I say, but as I do"!

Luke ;)

4. jonb

Gold Member

We need a flames section, I think.

5. Ecchi

Ecchi New Member

Albums:
    Dear Christ no we don't.

I haven't been here real long, but long enough to say that amongst the near dozen different forums I post on, this is one of the most flame free. Please Please PLEASE lets attempt to keep it that way.

Make love, not war. :D

6. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

What we need is an Ignore button.

I've been all over Invision and can't find one offered anywhere. :(

7. Ecchi

Ecchi New Member

Albums:
    Huh ... weird, I just realized that, since two other boards I frequent are provided by invision .... Ugh, I don't think Mark is in the mood to move this place again, so we may stuck ....

8. jonb

Gold Member

Yeah, I was thinking of a nice big red button that said

*PLONK!*

Maybe with a nice

But the reason I said a Flames section is for the same reason there's a Personals section. Or I can just show you all how to set up a usenet account and then have you take it over to alt.flame

9. madame_zora

Gold Member

Okay, I'm a novice in the computer world, but is there a way to just stop a thread, or is that what you are all referring to? I wish some threads could just be deleted or no longer able to be replied to. The one started recently about racism is going nowhere good and has nothing to do with large penises. I realize my membership was paid for by another member and I try not to take liberites with it, but it is very hard to keep quiet when someone says something as inflamatory and ignorant as "racism" being the cause of a negative post when it is obviously not the case. Some of the other threads that have turned into flame threads were equally ludicrous, and one could see easily that they were not going to improve. I will personally contribute to the well being of this board by tying my hands behind my back to insure that I don't respond to the least common denomenators. I guess that's all I can do.

10. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

My $0.02:

I'm not a paying member because I don't feel like I'm missing any of the premium benefits. I don't have a subscription to any website, so it's not like I've decided to be cheap this time. And, for me at least, this site is more about entertainment and discussion than it is about 'support,' so I don't feel like I'm letting down the group here. If it was decided that we had to pay to post new messages (and it wouldn't certainly be the admin's right if he wanted to), then I would think about it.

11. blar

blar New Member

lol a flame section on usernet. may as well make a irc channel for it too :p

Well i must say that the flaming here is not that bad compared to other forums (thankfully) and this forum has the most caring and nicest people that i have seen compared to other forums i visit.

12. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Even so, I really think flaming is unnecessary. Just because I have a grievance with a few members around here doesn't mean I'll go out of my way to call them out publicly. It's just not worth it, I think. I'd rather put those keystrokes to good use instead of saying how much I don't like someone...

I agree with that Ignore feature. I treasured it on the previous version of the LPSG and I'll see if there's some way to bring it back here.

13. jonb

Gold Member

Oh, great, the thing just put http:// in front of my link. Had it not, it would've opened your news reader and gone to alt.flame.

14. lacsap1

lacsap1 New Member

Albums:
    As being from The Netherlands, also called Dutch by some people, I don't wanted to be listed or called as cheap so I tried to follow the steps to become a paying supporter of LPSG. I really didn't know it was soooooooooo complicated to donor some US rupes. The methode of payment aren't very "international" easy;

-Cheque; Sorry but in the Netherlands we don't work with bank/postal cheques for
    a long time. Send cash and DHL it will cost me like 10 annual LPSG fees
    so no option. <_<

-Credit Cards; Payment by cc can&#39;t be made via the web. If someone wants to
    pay by cc he/she must call Mark? Sorry to tell but we have a
    different timezone in A&#39;dam (LAX is -9hrs, JFK -6hrs) so Mark
    when is your bedtime and what is the location of your office? ^_^

-Paypal; Never hear or used it before, so I tried but it&#39;s a VERY slow process, you
    list, get an email to confirm, go back to enter next level of process, get
    again a email to confirm, get charged by Paypal US &#036; 1.95 as the next
    level of entering process, wait a month for your credit card company to
    send you the bill, on this bill you will find the charge of US &#036; 1.95 and
    there must be an special "last entering code" to activate your Paypal
    account before I can send the US &#036; 2.50 to Mark..........? Easy? :wacko:

Mark, I was willing to pay but you don&#39;t make it easy for me...hope you have another month before Paypal/Credit Card company send me this every special code.

15. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    lacsap1, all you had to do was ask...

I do have a way for you to purchase a premium membership without having to do anything complicated. Just use this link that I created - it uses the shopping cart for one of my other sites (extremecock.com):

http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/netcart.a...oductid=1874638

After you go to the link, click "Check Out" and you&#39;ll be able to fill in your information.

Please give me 24 hours to upgrade your account as it will be a manual transaction. You won&#39;t be charged until I upgrade your account.

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Thanks very much,
    Mark

16. mindseye

Gold Member

It&#39;s not a hard modification to add -- I dunno if Mark has access to the source code and/or if his terms of service allow it, though.

17. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Mindseye, you are one fart smel.....er....one smart feller&#33;

Not bad for a guy who wears a helmet at the keyboard&#33; :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    I&#39;ll e-mail the Invision Board people and see if they can add that feature for us.

19. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    I just found out that the next version of the board will have an ignore feature. It should be released within the next month or two. :)

20. Imported

Gold Member

BRMSTN69: One question Mark, are you going to have the same problems with people and topics being deleted as you did the last time (it would be nice for the people here to be prepared for what may come instead of a hundred post about why this or that) and I&#39;m sure you don&#39;t want to explain everything over again

Draft saved Draft deleted