The Gay Ghetto ....

Nelly Gay

Experimental Member
Media
I have a lot of gay friends (I sound like Anne Atkins or Anne Widdecombe here) who will only drink in gay bars, stay in gay guest-houses, go to gay cafes and eat in gay restaurents.
Many only go to the theatre or cinema if the play or film in question has a gay subplot or male nudity ....
Their choice of course, but gay venues are usually 70% dearer and often not especially good (certainly not "better").
They posit that the ambience is more gay friendly/ better.
I personally, always go to Wetherspoons where a coffee is 0.69p and a double Bacardi & Diet Coke is £2.50 .

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It sounds to me that they just wish to support what they believe in. No different than those who are strict vegans or those who promote organics. It may restrict their venue choices for now but by doing their part to support them and proving them viable your friends are helping to ensure that more gay businesses can develop.

We should all put our money where our mouths are so faithfully.

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I have a lot of gay friends (I sound like Anne Atkins or Anne Widdecombe here) who will only drink in gay bars, stay in gay guest-houses, go to gay cafes and eat in gay restaurents.
Many only go to the theatre or cinema if the play or film in question has a gay subplot or male nudity ....
Their choice of course, but gay venues are usually 70% dearer and often not especially good (certainly not "better").
I personally, always go to Wetherspoons where a coffee is 0.69p and a double Bacardi & Diet Coke is £2.50 .

ok.

You start threads with statements. There's no questions involved. You just throw your nonsense out there. I guess it's unspoken that it's up for discussion and whoever can throw their two cents in. It is a messageboard afterall.

I know some people who're from Turkey. (God damn, they have some fine mother fuckers in Turkey.) Though they live in the states, they live with other Turkish guys, eat Turkish food, play football (soccer) with other Turkish guys, and all work together. Many of them have been in the states for years and barely know any English because of this. It's their personal choice, just like your friends are making a personal choice. I don't think calling it "ghetto" is truly the correct way to go about it.

Ever been to a ghetto? hehe......no, I know you weren't seriously using that term as such. I said mother fucker earlier. Does that make me ghetto? I also have a teardrop tattoo. I'm completely, dead on, serious.

There. There's me throwing out my nonsense with no question at the end.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
And today's award for most questionable contraction goes to.... :rolleyes:

That's funny...I hear this spoken all the time, but I don't know that I've ever seen it spelled out before. Even funnier is that it didn't even register as odd to me until you pointed it out.

Unusual or not, though, her usage is perfectly correct. Who're you to be such a grammar whore, anyhow? :wink:

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I know some people who're from Turkey. (God damn, they have some fine mother fuckers in Turkey.) Though they live in the states, they live with other Turkish guys, eat Turkish food, play football (soccer) with other Turkish guys, and all work together.

OMFG, ain't that the truth for some. HaHA!!! I HOPE that some fuck together. :smile:

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Back to the original topic: Why self-segregate if you want to be accepted (not just tolerated) by the mainstream? For that to happen, others need to know you and others who are similar to you to get the point that people are people--that not all members of a particular group will behave the same way stereotypes (or the media, or whomever) predict they will behave. Unfair as it is, this reaching out to the mainstream is usually the burden of the minority (or at least that's what I've seen in reading about historical trends regarding minorities).

Me, I won't support anti-gay businesses or people, so I make a conscious choice whenever I'm dealing with anti-gay people to (1) talk with them about their prejudices and (2) take my business elsewhere if they persist. Life's too short to have a ton of interaction with people who believe I don't have the same rights I do.

These two stances are obviously in conflict. In some ways, the anti-gay individuals need the most interaction with (or exposure to?) a variety of lesbigay-transgender/transsexual (and questioning) people in order to really get the point that we are all more similar than our surface differences imply. But I'm not strong enough to fight that fight the majority of my day, every day. I really just want to be around people who accept me for who I am.

Sounds like a cop-out, doesn't it? But maybe this urge to be surrounded by the "gay ghetto" is a stronger version of just wanting to be around people who accept you.

It may not help your cause politically, but it may help you personally to live almost exclusively among people like you.

NCbear (who often wonders why the supposed freest nation on earth has among the most difficulties accepting the obvious differences among its population)

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media

I would hope that gay bars, guest-houses, cafes and restaurants :)confused:) are more gay-friendly than the straight version of these places. It'd be rather interesting if they weren't.

Many only go to the theatre or cinema if the play or film in question has a gay subplot or male nudity

Really? That's very curious.

Nelly Gay

Experimental Member
Media
ok.

You start threads with statements. There's no questions involved. You just throw your nonsense out there. I guess it's unspoken that it's up for discussion and whoever can throw their two cents in. It is a messageboard afterall.

I know some people who're from Turkey. (God damn, they have some fine mother fuckers in Turkey.) Though they live in the states, they live with other Turkish guys, eat Turkish food, play football (soccer) with other Turkish guys, and all work together. Many of them have been in the states for years and barely know any English because of this. It's their personal choice, just like your friends are making a personal choice. I don't think calling it "ghetto" is truly the correct way to go about it.

Ever been to a ghetto? hehe......no, I know you weren't seriously using that term as such. I said mother fucker earlier. Does that make me ghetto? I also have a teardrop tattoo. I'm completely, dead on, serious.

There. There's me throwing out my nonsense with no question at the end.

Do you feel better for that ?!!

Nelly Gay

Experimental Member
Media
I would hope that gay bars, guest-houses, cafes and restaurants :)confused:) are more gay-friendly than the straight version of these places. It'd be rather interesting if they weren't.

Very interesting ...
You pay twice as much for poor service in gay bars, restaurents, cafes, hotels.
I don't find straight bars "unfriendly".
They are much cheaper though !
A niche market ...

Really? That's very curious.

A bare arse or someone's dick does not mean celluloid or theatrical quality.