THE gay lisp?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Rugbypup, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. mattbuddy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I work with two gay guys who have it and I agree with you on how it is a huge turn off. I'm not into guys who are feminine and have that lisp...big turn off. I don't know how guys actually obtain that lisp....Who knows. When I am in a good mood at work I don't mind it, but if my day was kind of going bad and I have to listen to my coworkers all day it can get old fast unless it's Ross Matthews.

3. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

I don't naturally speak with a "gay lisp" but I can force it. I do it occasionally for improv on stage, or just to fuck around.

I also find it unattractive though.

4. inwait8

inwait8 Active Member

Albums:
    One would have to wonder what it would feel like to be so universally disliked/unattractive because of something you have no control over... then again I guess most wouldn't care because they hate it so much.

just a thought.

5. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, yes and we should all live in peace and harmony with flowers in our hair...

Truth is, we all have likes and dislike, are attracted to and repulsed by different traits in the people we meet...

...there is NOTHING wrong with that, to say otherwise is PC bull shit.

All I said is that I find it a highly unattractive trait in a man, that it seems to be a peculiar trait gay men manifest without obvious reason.

I've been found unattractive due to my height, shaved head, ect. So to be frank, I do know what it's like to be dislike for something I have no control over but then I also understand it's human nature to have preferences.

#5 Rugbypup, Jun 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  6. cjb76

cjb76 New Member

Having lived in the major cities (NYC, Chicago, Miami, LA) and small towns, I've only found it in big cities where there are the gay neighborhoods. For me, it just seems all the big stereotypes are enhanced when you're in a gay bubble. Small town gay guys that are "feminine" are usually just quiet, shy, passive, nice...which I don't find that unattractive..

where big cities, they're bitchy, sarcastic with all the speech and mannerisms show up, like they're compensating for years or hiding and have something to prove that they're "proud". Also think that a lot of gay guys run from conservative areas to the big cities and just conform to try and fit in and the stereotypes are the easiest to conform to, cause it doesn't threaten the status quo.

I always got hassled for not being "gay" enough in big cities, not doing the partying, working out for performance and sports vs to just get laid. And since I was just the quiet stoic type got crap cause I didn't conform to the status quo. Usually just cause people always told me I had a quiet confidence in who I was and it makes people that are insecure feel more so. Least that's how older, wiser, been around the block gay guys in big cities always explained it to me.

7. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

I've lived in tiny hamlets and major cities and I've found the lisp, and attitude, in both places.
    I want to puke when straight people profess to have an ability to pick "them" out. Not surprisingly, the guys they pick out as gay are feminine and/or have lisps.
    These experts usually have many (closeted) gay guys in their circles and they never suspect a thing!

8. rockyasyouneed

well put!! you are a true man that can speak his mind, and actually has something valuable to say!!
    thanks.

9. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

The interesting thing is that it seems to be universal. Even in other languages, like Spanish, the "gay lisp" exsits.

10. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

Ive known straight men with a lisp. I dont "hate" a lisp, there are very few things I hate.

11. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

You're on a large penis website, where there are several threads and posts claiming dislike and repulsion toward penises of small to average size, and a desire for hung men. I wonder what it would feel like to be so universally disliked/found unattractive because of something you have no control over.

Or, I can mention the countless threads and posts discussing the straight man's preference for large breasts and general negative comments about smaller breasts. I wonder what it would feel like to be so universally disliked/found unattractive because of something you have no control over.

Or height. Or race. Or age. I wonder what it would feel like to be so universally disliked/found unattractive because of something you have no control over.

Nothing is ever universally disliked/found unattractive. Some people are attracted to certain things and others aren't. That's how attraction works, and ironically enough, we can't control whom or what we're attracted to.

12. crescendo69

Gold Member

So, who finds a lisp attractive?:confused:

13. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

don't really know anyone with a lisp, but I heard Carlos Mencia's rendition on a youtube video that has since been removed -- I found it funny and likeable

14. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

Hey Nick, Just dont go skipping down the streets of SA screaming in a lisp. :rolleyes:

15. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't know if gay men in Spain speak with a lisp. But I do know that what you hear and may think is a 'lisp' is not. The Spanish (with the exception some in the south) only pronounce Cs and Zs as "th". They pronounce S the same way as the English. It is a characteristic of Catalan Spanish and is only rarely heard in Latin America. It is NOT a "gay lisp"!

16. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

'K

I'll wait till I'm safely on the streets of We Ho :biggrin1:

17. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

Trust me, there is an equivilant. That is why I put the "gay lisp" in quotes.

But...
    Spanish from Spain kinda has a lisp anyway. They pronounce the "s" sound like a "th" sound. Instead of "Barcelona" they say barthelona. (keep the same "e" sound for the vowel"

That is like saying "yes" sound like "yeth".

But there is an effeminate sound in Spanish that is associated with being gay. Listen to hairstylist Sammy. Or the psychic, Walter Mercado. You could probably find them on youtube. Or even mega star Juan Gabriel.

18. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    YouTube - Gay Voice

A question that many seem to have thought of...

When I say 'lisp' I am referring to the stereotypical 'gay lisp' (no smoke without fire) not your run of the mill speak impediment.

He arises an interesting point, you may be born gay but you're not born with the 'big gay Al' effeminacy to the voice.

It does spark aggression in hetero men in my opinion, shit, I'm gay and have to admit even I find it really unappealing.

Why do some gay guys speak this way? Being natural effeminate is one thing but the lisp, is it learned, put on deliberately, what do you think?

19. crescendo69

Gold Member

I find that the whiny, strident-voiced ones here can be heard more easily in a loud bar. Maybe that is where they pick it up.

20. Nrets

Nrets Member

It is one thing to be turned off, it is quite another to hate. Some people can't help how they speak, how they look or how they feel. I think hating the stereotype of "gay lisp" is a product of a heterosexist society. Hating someone who can't change their speech for lisping is like hating Mexicans. You may not be attracted to them, maybe even repulsed, but when you start saying that they are inferior in some way, then there is a problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted