THE gay lisp?

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
It is one thing to be turned off, it is quite another to hate. Some people can't help how they speak, how they look or how they feel. I think hating the stereotype of "gay lisp" is a product of a heterosexist society. Hating someone who can't change their speech for lisping is like hating Mexicans. You may not be attracted to them, maybe even repulsed, but when you start saying that they are inferior in some way, then there is a problem.

Hating for the sake of difference is wrong, agreed.

By where does 'the' lisp come from? Why only gay effeminate men?

Reactions: baddestgirlie5

Nrets

Experimental Member
Media
Hating for the sake of difference is wrong, agreed.

By where does 'the' lisp come from? Why only gay effeminate men?

Who knows where it comes from. I would also be curious to know when lisping came to be a sterotype of homosexuality, as it is not just a gay trait. Most historical sources claim that Thomas Jefferson had a lisp. Unlike some other presidents, no one has claimed Jefferson was gay.

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Who knows where it comes from. I would also be curious to know when lisping came to be a sterotype of homosexuality, as it is not just a gay trait. Most historical sources claim that Thomas Jefferson had a lisp. Unlike some other presidents, no one has claimed Jefferson was gay.

Not just 'a' lisp matey, 'the' lisp.

Watch the David Cross youtube above.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It is one thing to be turned off, it is quite another to hate. Some people can't help how they speak, how they look or how they feel. I think hating the stereotype of "gay lisp" is a product of a heterosexist society. Hating someone who can't change their speech for lisping is like hating Mexicans. You may not be attracted to them, maybe even repulsed, but when you start saying that they are inferior in some way, then there is a problem.
No one as of yet has claimed to hate the "gay lisp" or the people with the "gay lisp".

There is a specific lisp that some more effeminate gay men tend to have. Everybody knows it.

heist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Rubgypup,

I think inwait8 was referring to how it's one thing to say you find something unattractive, and quite another to run around beating up people for it. In the case of the "gay lisp," the fact of the matter is, people are beaten up for it. Not for being bald. Not for being short. (At least as far as I know.)

Maybe I'm reading too deeply into what has been said, but I just wanted to point that out. Equally, I think he went too far in saying "universal" -- after all, some people don't mind a lisp. Your point of contention seems to be that nothing is universal in attraction, with which I agree.

Moving back to the main topic, I think people develop things like "the lisp" just from imitating others, whether they mean to or not. Ultimately, though, I find that debating something like this is about on par with debating the attractiveness of a Southern drawl or a foreign accent -- it's rather silly, really. Interesting, maybe, but not important.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
you don't ONLY hear it in gay men.
you hear it in children under 5 who are trying really hard to be cute.
you hear it in children over five who are pretending to be babies.
and you hear it in a certain type of woman who thinks baby talk is endearing when they're trying to get something out of a guy.

so maybe it's something people do subconsciously, to infantise themselves in the eyes of others, in order to trigger a protective, nurturing response?

it could be that those very femme guys felt vulnerable & different as youngsters, so used that baby voice, and the lisp just stuck? they've done it for so long that it's natural to them?

...and if it's caused by insecurity going back to childhood, that could account for the bitchy, attention seeking attitude that sometimes goes with?

ahahahaha! hark at me!
i suspect i'm spouting shite here.

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
you don't ONLY hear it in gay men.
you hear it in children under 5 who are trying really hard to be cute.
you hear it in children over five who are pretending to be babies.
and you hear it in a certain type of woman who thinks baby talk is endearing when they're trying to get something out of a guy.

so maybe it's something people do subconsciously, to infantise themselves in the eyes of others, in order to trigger a protective, nurturing response?

it could be that those very femme guys felt vulnerable & different as youngsters, so used that baby voice, and the lisp just stuck? they've done it for so long that it's natural to them?

...and if it's caused by insecurity going back to childhood, that could account for the bitchy, attention seeking attitude that sometimes goes with?

ahahahaha! hark at me!
i suspect i'm spouting shite here.

Ah?

So men who sound gay are imitating baby talk?

Nope, don't buy that one. Interesting thought though.

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
It is fine to be gay, but to talk weird and have this "Gay lisp" is something unusual.

To be honest, it disgusts me.

I should imagine many straight men feel the same.

This brings me to question, if the lisp was a question of choice, as in adopted, then why would gay guys essentially invite aggression and persecution from straight men.

Much like the whole 'gay is a choice' argument proposed by the grossly ignorant and naive. Why would some gay men, predominately effeminate gay men, choice to speak with the characteristic 'lisp' that essentially invites condemnation and aggression?

You wouldn't, would you?

Which makes me think perhaps it is an uncontrollable natural tone of voice. If that's the case though, why only effeminate gay men?

Am befuddeled...

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ah?

So men who sound gay are imitating baby talk?

Nope, don't buy that one. Interesting thought though.
no, i'm saying that perhaps it started when they were kids.
but the lisp stuck, into adulthood.
i'm not saying they would be 'doing it' now.
but rather that it's how they learned to talk.
they could drop the babytalk act before they were ten, but have trained the lisp into their normal speach.
being a femme boy child can't be easy, so maybe they clung to 'cuteness' that would gain adult protection.
i'm talking about a habit they dropped as little kids.
the lisp is just a leftover.

but, yeah, most likely it's bullshit.
i'm making this up as i go along.

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
no, i'm saying that perhaps it started when they were kids.
but the lisp stuck, into adulthood.
i'm not saying they would be 'doing it' now.
but rather that it's how they learned to talk.
they could drop the babytalk act before they were ten, but have trained the lisp into their normal speach.
being a femme boy child can't be easy, so maybe they clung to 'cuteness' that would gain adult protection.
i'm talking about a habit they dropped as little kids.
the lisp is just a leftover.

but, yeah, most likely it's bullshit.
i'm making this up as i go along.

Ah, I can see the mechanism in that. Perhaps you're right.

The lisp is a residual trait from an adopted defense or coping mechanism of effeminate male children from their childhoods. As Children, clinging to a perceived cute or helplessness expressed in their tone helped them enlist adult support in an unexcepting society of effeminate male children.

Perhaps indeed.

I don't think I have the "gay lisp" but my mannerisms are definitely feminine, and my voice can sound really camp. When I was younger I used to make a conscious effort to try and deepen my voice and talk walk in a masculine way, but it's such an ordeal you can't keep it up. Now I just have to be myself, but I still have a lot of hangups about how feminine my mannerisms are, but it's just the way I am. I used to wish I was one of those straight-acting gay guys because that's what seems to appeal to most gay men, so I've always felt my options are limited: I'm not appealing to either straight or gay men, not feminine enough for straights, not masculine enough for gays.

At one point I thought maybe I'm a transsexual: but I dressed up and hated the fucking hell out of wearing women's clothes. Didn't feel right at all. And besides, I love my cock and having it played with, and being fucked while someone is jackin you off is the best thing ever.

So I still have some self-hatred but it's passing with time.

saabman

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Yes, yes and we should all live in peace and harmony with flowers in our hair...

Truth is, we all have likes and dislike, are attracted to and repulsed by different traits in the people we meet...

...there is NOTHING wrong with that, to say otherwise is PC bull shit.

All I said is that I find it a highly unattractive trait in a man, that it seems to be a peculiar trait gay men manifest without obvious reason.

I've been found unattractive due to my height, shaved head, ect. So to be frank, I do know what it's like to be dislike for something I have no control over but then I also understand it's human nature to have preferences.

Awesome response man!! I am so tired of everyone's forced PC!!

saabman

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I work with two gay guys who have it and I agree with you on how it is a huge turn off. I'm not into guys who are feminine and have that lisp...big turn off. I don't know how guys actually obtain that lisp....Who knows. When I am in a good mood at work I don't mind it, but if my day was kind of going bad and I have to listen to my coworkers all day it can get old fast unless it's Ross Matthews.

If a guy I meet is cute but has a gay lisp - I just stick my dick in his mouth so I don't have to hear him talk. I think "valley-girl" talk is just as annoying as the gay lisp. That's when girls start every sentence with the word "Like", stretch the last syllable of the last word in a sentence, and end each sentence with a question mark - like they are asking a question. KWIM? That way of speaking drives me crazy!!!!

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I don't think I have the "gay lisp" but my mannerisms are definitely feminine, and my voice can sound really camp. When I was younger I used to make a conscious effort to try and deepen my voice and talk walk in a masculine way, but it's such an ordeal you can't keep it up. Now I just have to be myself, but I still have a lot of hangups about how feminine my mannerisms are, but it's just the way I am. I used to wish I was one of those straight-acting gay guys because that's what seems to appeal to most gay men, so I've always felt my options are limited: I'm not appealing to either straight or gay men, not feminine enough for straights, not masculine enough for gays.

At one point I thought maybe I'm a transsexual: but I dressed up and hated the fucking hell out of wearing women's clothes. Didn't feel right at all. And besides, I love my cock and having it played with, and being fucked while someone is jackin you off is the best thing ever.

So I still have some self-hatred but it's passing with time.

I can indeed empathies with self hatred. I think understanding ones sexuality, for many gay men, results in a sort of realization that by no fault of your own, by nature, by birth, you are not the same as the wholly accepted straight guys.

I think there is a sort of grieving period for most, mine lasted quiet a long time, lol, but you're right, over time we mature and become more accepting of ourselves.

I'm just curious, i guess, as to why only gay men seem have it, yet most agree it is unattractive.

Last edited:

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
If a guy I meet is cute but has a gay lisp - I just stick my dick in his mouth so I don't have to hear him talk. I think "valley-girl" talk is just as annoying as the gay lisp. That's when girls start every sentence with the word "Like", stretch the last syllable of the last word in a sentence, and end each sentence with a question mark - like they are asking a question. KWIM? That way of speaking drives me crazy!!!!

Girls like that remind me of folk that write in text speak for everything in their everyday life, formal or otherwise and think it's acceptable.

Now that's disgusting, but another conversation entirely, lol.

Took me a minute to get what you meant by valley girls though. To me, that means a Welsh girl, then I just laugh, that the only way to shut Welsh girls up is a cock in the mouth.

My apologies to the Welsh, lol.