The "Gay" Professions?

BIGdkluver

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Is there any truth to the idea that some professions are almost exclusively occupied by gay males?

For example, careers like hairdressers, flight attendants, choreographers, interior decorators, fashion designers, Broadway dancers, and many others seem to be populated by a great many gay males.

Not that there's anything wrong with that! I realize that every profession probably has some gay or bi men in it, but the above occupations seem to have more than their share--at least in many people's opinion.

So, do you agree with this? Does anyone know any very macho, 100% hetero male hairdressers or interior decorators? I'm sure there must be many--in spite of the stereotype.

If you yourself belong to any of these so-called "gay" professions, I'd especially like to hear your opinion. Thanks! :smile:

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
I think that those professions attract both gay men and hetero players. Those jobs are full of women so guys that aren't sexually interested in women or are obsessed by them would want to do those jobs.
I have partied with the cabin crew of my flight several times and there didn't seem to be many non sexually obsessed male crew members whether gay or straight.

Smartalk

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I once met the head of BA Cabin Crew HR. I asked him if most of the Air Stewards were gay and do they select them, because they were gay, He replied that a large number of there male cabin crew were. He then went on to say that being gay they don't have the same family commitments as st8 married guy, thus able to be on standby, as a lot of air crew are. They could also be away from home for long periods of time. This may good sense to me, when it he explained it in that way.

Hope this helps

Smartalk

mountainguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think there is some truth to the stereotype. Once a profession becomes known for being gay-friendly, it makes sense that gay people will want to work in that industry. A straight friend of mine who worked as an actor in New York for a few years said that one had to be comfortable with gay men to survive in the industry.

On a semi-related note, I've always wondered about the sexual orientation of male strippers. Most strippers I've met or heard about claim to be straight if they strip for women and gay if they strip for men. But I've also heard that the truth can be more complicated. Apparently, some clubs prefer to hire people of the opposite sexual orientation (having gay men strip for women) to avoid any possibility of hanky-panky between the dancers and the patrons.

edonline

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I can't tell you the number of gay attorneys I know. On the other hand, there's a guy who works at the stylist I go to for haircuts and the guy is straight. He told me one time that so many women hit on him because they think he's gay and want to "change" him.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to go to a straight guy hairdresser; but he was the only one I encountered in over 30 years of going to salons. :rolleyes:

I think that many of the alleged 'straight acting' gay males work in professions that are traditionally male such as: lawyers, doctors, dentists, banking and finance, construction. Since they aren't 'flaming' you just don't notice them as much.

I would say that 80% of the Male Registered nurses in the hospital at which I worked were gay.....
That sounds about right, from my experience as a patient in hospitals.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
I know at least half a dozen male nurses and they are all straight. They like to help people and take care of them. One was a former drill sergeant. He retired, and wanted to be able to be tender and care for folks.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Is there any truth to the idea that some professions are almost exclusively occupied by gay males?

For example, careers like hairdressers, flight attendants, choreographers, interior decorators, fashion designers, Broadway dancers, and many others seem to be populated by a great many gay males.

Not exclusively. You also forgot florists. When I was a teenager my hairstylist was a str8 married guy.

I remembered a few more. Figure Skaters, ballroom dancers and magicians.

Last edited:

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am an interior decorator. It was a bit of a surprise to land in the role, but I have landed in it.

I read that basically gay professions are so because back in the day, there was a lot of discrimination, so gay guys chose businesses they could go into themselves, like interior decorating or hairstyling, bypassing the hiring process.

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I would agree that there are professions that are dominated by gay males like Choreographers, hair stylists and interior designers, however since the playing field is being leveled off in prejudice there are many straight brethren filling into positions they wouldn't be caught dead in ten years ago.

Of course we've still got some ways to go until you don't get heckled for being an RN or Children's television host, but it'll come...it'll come.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am an interior decorator. It was a bit of a surprise to land in the role, but I have landed in it.
:yikes: A 100%straight, male, interior decorator?!?!

I read that basically gay professions are so because back in the day, there was a lot of discrimination, so gay guys chose businesses they could go into themselves, like interior decorating or hairstyling, bypassing the hiring process.
Don't forget the veritable plethora of gays in state and federal government jobs. The reason being it was virtually impossible to get fired, plus they got good pay, great benefits.

Last edited:

B_Austin Blue

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Interestingly I was a receptionist for a huge Whistler travel company for three years and people were very surprised to see a male as a receptionist, even though I am gay. I went to a course and I was the only male there!

I know that is a bit off topic, but I thought it was interesting to post this experience.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i know a lot of gay doctors and health professionals- i think stanford med center is run by lesbian nurses.

the clergy also has gobs of homosexuals as well.

nobody mentioned the navy either.