The gender gap in us politics

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This could just as easily go in the politics forum, but I thought it might have a broader discussion here.

A couple notes up front
  • Women have a higher voter turnout than men in all recent election (more women actually cast votes than men)
  • A majority/plurality of votes cast by women were for the Democratic candidate in every election from 1992 forward.
  • Bill Clinton was the last Democrat supported by a plurality/majority of men (they did not support Gore, Kerry, or Obama, nor are they supporting Hillary Clinton).
  • Even though more women vote, and even though women as a group are always voting Democrat now in presidential elections, the extent by which men are voting for the Republican candidate is enough to still put Republicans in office.
  • The gap in support of the two parties is becoming fairly massive. It was already up to 20 points difference in 2012 (Obama -vs- Romney), and is threatening to become even higher this year (Clinton -vs- Trump).
  • This gap exists to varying degrees across virtually every major demographic breakdown (As a group, young women and older women both vote democrat. White women and black women both vote Democrat. College educated women and not college educated women both vote Democrat. You have to start narrowing categories to find Republican support (e.g. women who lack a college education and are also white vote Republican)).
  • Apart from a few cases such as discrimination, the percentage of women -vs- men who treat issues such as the economy as very important doesn't vary wildly.
Some supporting links:

What do you make of this (if anything)? I'll chime into the thread later with some of my thoughts, but I wanted to just kick off the conversation here.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Tex, it's late and this will haunt my dreams tonight.

I'll leave this for now: Ann Richards and Molly Ivins are having a hell of a time watching us muddle through.

I'm always wary of generalizations, because there will be exceptions. Condalezza Rice. JC Watts.
It also leads to assumption support, and that can its campaigns in the butt.