The Gift of Giving.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by The Dragon, Nov 27, 2010.

1. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

With so many of the worlds poor going hungry this Christmas I thought it might be nice to give a gift that would mean so much to a child, a family or a community in need.

#1 The Dragon, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2010
  2. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

There's lots of charities that sort of come out of the woodwork around this time of year. Warms my heart. :smile: I know my father always "adopts" a family for Thanksgiving and gives them an entire Thanksgiving dinner. He used to adopt families for Christmas... not sure if he does that anymore or not.

3. nakedwally

Gold Member

Albums:
    I am so glad you brought up this topic. When I have the extra money I like to help others. A few times I was able to sponsor a couple families for thanksgiving and Christmas. One Thanksgiving I was able to sponsor family of six for and provided a whole meal to them as well as a week's worth of groceries. The past few years I don't help out around the holidays, I help out others throughout the year, Once in a while I take a little bit of my money go to the store and buy bologna, brad, cheese, juice boxes and fruit, I then make sandwiches and bag up the food and then take the box of bagged lunches and hand them out to the homeless downtown and elsewhere in the city. It just feels good to give and help others

4. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

There are a lot of department stores here in Australia that have giving trees where people who can't afford gifts attach tags to the tree that have the child's name, age and sex and then the givers buy an appropriate gift and attach the tag to it and place it under the tree.

There are even organizations that allow you to buy livestock, water wells, hygiene products or even learning aids for under privileged communities.

These small gifts, that can cost mere pocket change can make such a huge difference.

#4 The Dragon, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  5. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

I've done the adopt-a-family thing for Xmas before, usually as part of a group. Great feeling.

6. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Does anybody believe this?

7. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

Is the family sponsoring done through a charity or a church or is it just word of mouth, Naked Wally?
    Either way that sounds like a fantastic way of helping make Christmas a whole lot brighter for families who are doing it tough.

8. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    There are several good local holiday charities that we've participated in over the years...this year we donated some toys to the Blue Santa program sponsored by our local police department and a couple of coats to the House the Homeless project.

9. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I tried this year....

We talked about it and decided that for Thanksgiving, we were going to volunteer for the local Community Thanksgiving Dinner held at the fairgrounds.

I made phone calls and spoke to the man in charge a few times. Was told that showing up at 11am would be fine and to bring my carving tools.

I was told that there would be numerous homeless there, so, we spent the night before boxing up clothes, jackets, blankets, etc (ended up with 4 large boxes).

Well, we show up, took the boxes to where the clothing was being distributed, and then looked for "Mike". He was no where to be found, and the guy who I guess, was supposed to be 2nd in charge had no clue where we could help. The kitchen was packed full of people, so we checked at every station (drinks, deserts, etc) and was continuously told that they had all the help they needed.

It was actually pretty disappointing, and to make matters worse, since I was told that we would be busy pretty much all day, I didn't make any plans to make dinner. We ended up at my sisters, which was fun, but I really had my heart set on being able to help at the dinner.

Oh well, I guess it's the thought that counts, right?

Our 4-H Club adopts a family for Thanksgiving and then another for Christmas, so I at least get a chance to help someone that way

10. nakedwally

Gold Member

Albums:
    With the sponsoring of families which I have not done in several years, I had a pretty strong circle of friends. A doctor friend and a social worker friend who I talked to knew of some people that would appreciate the help, so once the my friend's got the permission of the families to talk to me about it I would go from there. Also when I was in the choir, everyone in the choir that could afford to contributed $30 and we sponsored 4 families from the community. As far as the giving of sandwiches away I do that on my own and sometimes with the help of friends or folks from one of the various churches I attend.

11. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

Many communities have a food bank which collects and distributes food to the needy. A major source of food is markets and restaurants, but the economic situation has caused their donations to be smaller. In my area the food bank is finding many more in need. those are people who have lost their jobs or are working at lower paying jobs.

Money is helpful because the food bank can buy commodities which are needed, often perishables.

12. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

YES.

I give money every month to Oxfam (among a few other charities) because they work with communities trying to help them become self supporting, they improve local facilities like water and sanitation and support local craftspeople and farmers, I buy Palestinian Olive Oil from the Oxfam shops here because it's utterly gorgeous but also because it helps Palestinian farmers who otherwise have very few opportunities to sell their products.

13. nedly32

nedly32 New Member

Albums:
    I do. not all of mankind is blind to others suffrage,I give all the time with no strings I am guilty of feeling great inner peace from truly helping my fellow mankind without stings or jugments or regrets.sorry that you cant see the good in people

Draft saved Draft deleted