The Godfather 1 &/or 2 - Have you seen it/them or not?

Have you seen the Godfather 1 & 2?

• I've seen Godfather 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've seen Godfather 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A big reason the trilogy was so interesting to me was because there were so many accurate parallels to the organized crime syndicate that existed during that time.

The 'commission' of the heads of the Five Families, the pecking order/organizational composition of the Family, and the process by which decisions were made...etc., also the remarkable brilliance and foresight/diplomacy that was demonstrated by the leaders of each family.

Organized crime is so firmly entrenched into the history of our nation, it adds more depth to the significance of the film/trilogy. From the conception of Las Vegas to the Bay of Pigs to the assassination of JFK/RFK, organized crime has been at the forefront.

Just look at the cast: Duvall, Pacino, Deniro, Brando, Caan, Keaton...et al. Remarkable film(s).

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I caught them both showing back-to-back on the AMC channel one Sunday afternoon so I took advantage and watched them.

Love them.

yeah they were showing them yesterday...thati s why i started the thread...but watching them on AMC sucks...they are censored, most of the graphic violence is taken out and the commercials ruin them.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I must confess that this is the gaping hole in my otherwise fairly well rounded experience of classic cinema. The other side of that hole being Citizen Kane. :redface:

I have no good reason that I have never seen them - it's just one of those things. They were on TV last week but I work evenings, I missed the first showing of I but decided to watch II anyway, but as I said I was working and could not give it my full attention. I gave up after a bit because of all the Italian with subs - not a problem when I could look at the screen and read the subs - but I was mainly looking at my computer screen so I was missing half the dialogue. As I was saying to Hick last night as he was watching it - all I saw a lot of the time was men going 'EHH!!" at each other.

I will watch both some day. I do feel I am missing something by not having seen either.

at least you are aware that this gaping hole is your only true imperfection MB :wink:

What? You fool! They were made in 72 and 74!! That's aeons ago in cinema terms!! Of course they are cinematic history. Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey (68) and A Clockwork Orange (71) are of the same era - both clearly have a place in cinematic history. Fucking Blade Runner (10 years later) is cinematic history. I could go on through the 80s and into the 90s. Don't be so bloody narrow!

Exactly right, MB...The Exorcist(73), Chinatown (74), The Sting(73), Jaws (75) Taxi Driver (76) Apocalypse Now (79) Alien (79) MOnty Python and the HOly Grail (75) and many many more!!!!!

the 70s was perhaps the sea-change moment in cinematic history...i would highly recommend the documentary "A decade under the influence"...the 60s had seen Hollywood become stale, formulaic, nonsense...the late 60s and 70s brought a surge of innovation and talented young directors (Scorcese, Coppolla, Spielberg etc.) and avant garde cinema influenced by the French New Wave...it brought edgy, talented, new actors, who were not the classic glamour stars of the past...these were edgy, rebellious types, who were intrigued by gritty, dangerous, edgy roles...Pacino, DeNiro, Nicholson, to name a few...

the 70s was one of, if not the most vital times in cinematic history! It reinvented and reinvigorated the movie industry and the idea of film itself.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I've seen both and own both on DVD. I love the whole evolution of Michael from man to monster. I always enjoyed any scenes that Michael had with Kay. From flat out lying to her gullible ass, to closing the door on her, to the whole abortion scene and closing the door on her again. Those were always the best acted and most emotional/compelling to me. The family drama always outweighed the 'business' stuff for me.

I've never completely seen the third one because i've just heard so many bad things..

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've seen both and own both on DVD. I love the whole evolution of Michael from man to monster. I always enjoyed any scenes that Michael had with Kay. From flat out lying to her gullible ass, to closing the door on her, to the whole abortion scene and closing the door on her again. Those were always the best acted and most emotional/compelling to me. The family drama always outweighed the 'business' stuff for me.

I've never completely seen the third one because i've just heard so many bad things..

the third one is atrocious...you are not missing anything...it is just a poor attempt at the completion of the circle...and it fails pretty miserably on every level.

fernandoleal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
this is the only movie where the sequel is superior to the first movie. the scene in havana with the senator and fredo going to the sex show is surprisingly accurate. i have cuban relatives that saw the so called superman and can verify that he was truly hung like a farm animal. there have been some other posts elsewhere about the superman of havana before if anyone has any more info about him i would be interested

coryv1975

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
both of these movies are at the top of my all-time favorites list. I have also read the book The Godfather and there is quite a bit in it that is not in the film. In the book Sonny Corleone has an gigantic cock( which is made reference to in the film during the opening wedding scene) and his mistress had a huge vagina and can only be sexually fulfilled by Sonny. After his murder she moves to Vegas where she meets the "family" doctor (an gynecologist and abortion doctor) who surgically downsizes her womanhood. She then falls in love with the doctor.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
And as that metamorphosis happens, we watch as Vito Corleone goes from being this collected, sharp-dressing head honcho to a simple, weak, vulnerable old man. We first see him dressed in fine tux and last see him in some old, bland-looking clothing.

I really love how well both were done.