The Godfather 1 &/or 2 - Have you seen it/them or not?

Have you seen the Godfather 1 & 2?

• I've seen Godfather 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've seen Godfather 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is leading on from another thread...

who here has still not seen either Godfather 1, 2, or both?

Why not?

Explain yourselves, heathens :tongue:

also

1. do you intend to see it?
2. do you really want to see it but just haven't got around to it?
3. do you not care?

if you are truly a film lover, but have not seen one or both what is behind it...

i am just curious, considering their place in cinematic history...

and for thos who have seen it, feel free to discuss the film ( but put a *SPOILER* notation in if you do disclose anything important)

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Agreed. Its pretty outrageous if you haven't seen it! I know both of my roomies have never seen it, with 3) being the predominant reason.

i can understand folks who have never had the time, or are still too young and are still growing into their likes/dislikes...but considering the films' place in american cinematic history, i don't really get the people who don't care if they ever see it...

i can understand when there are folks who aren't serious film buffs don't want to watch something really old, like Casablanca or something...but seriously, what doesn't the Godfather have that wouldn't be worth seeing?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Haven't seen both of them... Why... Not sure. I have the DVD, I know it is almost a historic video, but yet it seems not something interesting for me.

you have the DVD and have not watched it? :smile:

i think, part of what the Godfather is, is it is very *AMERICAN* and i do not mean that in a bad way...as it is the story of the 1st and 2nd generation of immigrants who live a different sort of american dream....

if you have the DVD, you really have to just clear out some time one night, and sit down and watch. You won't be sorry. :biggrin1:

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
i can understand folks who have never had the time, or are still too young and are still growing into their likes/dislikes...
That is quite judgemental. You like some movies and you dislike some movies. It isn't because they are so well known in the history of best movies that people have to see it. There are so many movies people won't see, but still worthed to see. So age and time doesn't matter.

but considering the films' place in american cinematic history, i don't really get the people who don't care if they ever see it...
Is it really that big of an issue... And is that "american" feeling so important.

i can understand when there are folks who aren't serious film buffs don't want to watch something really old, like Casablanca or something...but seriously, what doesn't the Godfather have that wouldn't be worth seeing?
Ask it the other way: what doesn't Casablance have that wouldn't be worth seeing?

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
you have the DVD and have not watched it? :smile:

i think, part of what the Godfather is, is it is very *AMERICAN* and i do not mean that in a bad way...as it is the story of the 1st and 2nd generation of immigrants who live a different sort of american dream....

if you have the DVD, you really have to just clear out some time one night, and sit down and watch. You won't be sorry. :biggrin1:

I rather see West Side Story then

D

deleted3782

I havent seen either. I have too short an atten....

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I caught them both showing back-to-back on the AMC channel one Sunday afternoon so I took advantage and watched them.

Love them.

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I caught them both showing back-to-back on the AMC channel one Sunday afternoon so I took advantage and watched them.

Love them.

The first one is on right now on AMC for Vday. But I left the room. The audio was too quiet so I couldn't understand them. And I didn't come in at the very beginning.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Haven't seen both of them... Why... Not sure. I have the DVD, I know it is almost a historic video, but yet it seems not something interesting for me.
Almost? :confused: Uh no, it actually is historic. :cool: Perhaps even epic. University cinema classes have studied it for decades.

Godfather & Godfather II
Godfather: [to Rocco who has killed Paulie in the car]
Peter Clemenza: Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Michael Corleone: There are many things my father taught me here in this room. He taught me: keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

Hyman Roth: I don't trust a doctor who can hardly speak English.

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
No, Ive seen neither and have no desire too.

The theme is just not my thing so why waste all those hours?

Im not a film buff so the critical acclaim doesn't interest me.

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've seen the first hour or so of the first one. A glorified soap opera set in a mafia family. Since I've never really understood people's fascination with the mafia, it didn't appeal much to me. So I never finished it. Since I never cared about seeing the rest of the first one, I never bothered to watch the second one. I don't care that so many other people like them, but I get annoyed at being told that I'm wrong.

I also chafe at the idea that they are "cinematic history". They weren't made long enough ago to qualify. If you want to see cinematic history, check out "Little Caesar" and "The Public Enemy", which were the very first mobster movies from the early 1930s.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I must confess that this is the gaping hole in my otherwise fairly well rounded experience of classic cinema. The other side of that hole being Citizen Kane. :redface:

I have no good reason that I have never seen them - it's just one of those things. They were on TV last week but I work evenings, I missed the first showing of I but decided to watch II anyway, but as I said I was working and could not give it my full attention. I gave up after a bit because of all the Italian with subs - not a problem when I could look at the screen and read the subs - but I was mainly looking at my computer screen so I was missing half the dialogue. As I was saying to Hick last night as he was watching it - all I saw a lot of the time was men going 'EHH!!" at each other.

I will watch both some day. I do feel I am missing something by not having seen either.

I also chafe at the idea that they are "cinematic history". They weren't made long enough ago to qualify. If you want to see cinematic history, check out "Little Caesar" and "The Public Enemy", which were the very first mobster movies from the early 1930s.

What? You fool! They were made in 72 and 74!! That's aeons ago in cinema terms!! Of course they are cinematic history. Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey (68) and A Clockwork Orange (71) are of the same era - both clearly have a place in cinematic history. Fucking Blade Runner (10 years later) is cinematic history. I could go on through the 80s and into the 90s. Don't be so bloody narrow!

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've seen the entire Godfather saga and none of it impresses me that much. Scenes are crowded and several scenes are poorly lit making it annoying with trying to see who is in the scene and then the dark suits with the brightness of the faces of the actors. Lighting and sound sucked. Seeing them once was enough.