The Golden Compass - coming soon

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Drifterwood, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I read a few of JK Rowling's Harry Potter books, but Richard Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy was way superior imho. The first film is out soon I think and I hope that they have done it justice. Is it out in the States first or is a simultaneous launch?

Oh yes and I hear that some religious folk have decided to take offense. Still it has been a while since they had a film to get uppity about.

Before anyone shouts at me, it is an alternative view, which we are allowed to have. That is different from being anti something. :rolleyes:

2. D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV

I'm looking forward to seeing Cloverfield, which as of now comes out on my birthday =p. Golden Compass looks good too.

3. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Down with this sort of thing! Careful now!

4. 2hung4some

2hung4some Member

Albums:
    They were great books - and the film clips look good too. I know there is considered to be some anti christian twist to it - the same way it was claimed that The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe had a pro christian twist!
    All good books have a good versus evil - or grabbing success from the jaws of adversity - story line, so you can read religion into most of them!
    Why can't a good book just be a good book?

5. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I hope it offends religious groups the way MONTY PYTHON'S THE LIFE OF BRIAN offended people. Getting upset about sensibilities.

You can read religion into about anything. It happens that some people get upset at the idea of questioning what you've been previously told.

Draft saved Draft deleted