The GOP "Alternative Budget": Just an empty, glossy brochure

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse, Mar 27, 2009.

1. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Yesterday, the GOP was supposed to announce their "alternative budget" which is their own detailed plan, the minority party's counter-plan, for the economy.

Obama at his Tuesday news conference had criticized Republicans, saying "we haven't seen an alternative budget out of them."

"Here it is, Mr. President," Boehner said yesterday, aggressively flapping the glossy, 18-page brochure "The Republican Road to Recovery". Inside this brochure are no detail. Inside this brochure are no figures. A "budget" without numbers (Obama's budget outline is a detail-crammed 142 pages).

The purpose of yesterday's press conference was to see the details. That's what the GOP promised. To see figures. Numbers. Specifics. Reporters were assembled. Now, John Boehner tells us that specifics may be issued next week (Next week is when the actual budgets will be voted on by House and Senate, too late for an "alternative budget" to influence anything).

The glossy talking-points brochure "The Republican Road to Recovery" - that republicans handed out yesterday - is mostly a harangue against Democratic policies with vague restatements of republican principles.

On spending: the GOP would "cut overall nondefense spending by reforming or eliminating a host of wasteful programs deemed ineffective by various government entities." (my mind glazes over reading this. It would be nearly impossible to construct a blander, vaguer sentence)

On energy: the Republican plan would open the Arctic Coastal Plain to energy exploration, while making it easier to build new nuclear reactors.

http://www.gop.gov/solutions/budget/road-to-recovery-final

2. midlifebear

Gold Member

Dear willom27:

You enthusiastic, energetic, go-getting, champion of lots of stuff I like who I would eat with a spoon if you were pudding -- that's how Republicans roll, glossy brochures and semi-fuckable MILFs.

It's a bit late in the political season, I know, but SONY Entertainment Television finally got around to broadcasting a Saturday Night Live from what must have been the last Saturday before the election last November. John McCain and his "lovely" wife, Cindy, were special guests and did a skit where they were appearing on QVC to raise more last minute campaign funds. I was very amused. McCain seemed amused as well when his wife mentioned that some of the stuff they were hawking would "at least make good political memorabilia if we happen to lose the election!" Big grins, all.

But despite the inside jokes, it was just another way of glossing over the problems of the GOP -- a big, glossy brochure. That's about all they are able to consume these days as many of that political party look over Cunard Line and Carnival Tours brochures for a float and bloat in the Caribbean, the Mexican "Riviera", or a chilling boat ride to see the Alaskan coast line. Sounds like the setting for a new Murder, She Wrote don't it?

3. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    #3 B_Nick8, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  4. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

I just saw Daniel Hannan's fiery speech in the European Parliament directed at Gordon Brown.

I have to say, I LOVE IT! -- I freaking freaking LOVE good, aggressive, intelligent politcal discourse. Where they POUND THEIR FISTS and are passionate and actively involved. This stuff is only to the good. Countries thrive on a diversity of strong, idiosyncratic opinions.

But the type of "debate" we tend to get here in the U.S. is so often reduced to tired talking points, glossy brochures, photo ops, pablum speeches. Obama is a strong president with a clear, focused vision. Our country desperately NEEDS an inspired opposition party that isn't handing out last year's (last decade's) stale talking points and passing it off as something fresh.

Somebody already posted the Daniel Hannan speech on another thread, but I'd like to re-link it; maybe a couple additional posters will find this & watch it:

YouTube - Daniel Hannan MEP: The devalued Prime Minister of a devalued Government

5. andrexx

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    While I agree with you that the Republican alt budget was skimpy and lacking detail, I must interject with the fact that no matter what budget Republicans put out, it won't influence anything anyways. The Democrats almost have a supermajority, meaning almost any budget the Dems put through WILL pass.

That said, if the Reps want to get serious about making a better budget, they need to plan and detail better.

6. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

andrexx:

You're absolutely right. Dems can pass any budget (so long as blue dog dems don't rebel) because of their majorities.

I just wish today's conservative party weren't so frigging anemic. There aren't any vibrant energetic ideas and personalities being offered to combat the supermajority in the House and almost supermajority in the Senate. Listening to John Boehner speak is depressing. Many of the senior statesmen seem to be barely alive.

And bipartisanship now means: being able to pick off either Arlen Specter, Olympia Snowe or Susan Collins. THAT'S IT. Get one of these open-minded republicans to go along, and it's now "bipartisan".

We just need a healthy, aggressive debate in this country. Brio. Animated. VERVE! -- Pound your fist and shake up the status quo!! -- Not the same old.

7. pym

pym New Member

OR,I must 'Interject'.......The Republicans can step off, shut the fuck up, and let the freely elected Democratic party carry on with the task at hand.
    As an American, i find the constant manipulation, lying, and overt bigotry that the Republicans and there constituancy level at the current administration, to be profoundly dis-loyal and grossly un-patriotic in these times. Republicans need to Get the hell out of the way or get run over. This is a major re-construction zone.

8. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sorry Pym, I disagree with you on this one. I really think the best solution is to dissolve political party affiliations, but that will never happen. SO, in order to make what we have work, we need the Republicans to start thinking a little outside the box. We need them to start thinking of things the Democrats haven't thought of, so we can have fresh ideas flowing again... so the political discourse doesn't continue to languish in the stale monotony of the bush legacy.

Republicans DO have good ideas sometimes (or at least they have in the distant past). They just need to stop pandering to the uber-conservative xtian fundamentalists. That's all.

Draft saved Draft deleted