The GOP is Finished.

D_Miltie Orgasmic

Experimental Member
Media
No matter what happens today this feels like one of those days like 9.11, JFK's murder or Woodstock. After today, America will never be the same.

This isn't to say it'll be worse, it will just never be the same. The Tea Party, if it can open up and make Liberals/Progressives feel welcome will bust this country open.

The fact today, though, seems to be that the Republican Party as we've known it, is finished.

bigsmile

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The tea party has not shown itself to be at all "welcoming". There is certainly no evidence to suggest the tea party would welcome "liberals/progressives".

You are right the GOP is finished but not because the nation will be taken over by the tea party....but rather because this is the last hoorah of reactionary conservatives..the old guard of americans government by fear mongering and ignorance will be a thing of the past...unfortunately they just won't die quietly and may even elect a lot of lunatics and maybe even someone as absurdly stupid and outrageous as sara palin before they let out their final rancid breath.

I might add that perhaps we'll see the end of the feckless democrat as well.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The GOP excels at re-branding, re-re-branding, and "Kick the bums out" tactics (even for those ideologically like-minded), I would not sound the death knell as yet.

Certainly, our hamstrung "democracy" needs the emergence of a viable third-party, I just wish it wasn't the Tea Party. No offense to the Palin lovers out there.

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I've always said republicans are like cockroaches. When you turn the lights on they scatter. Whats interesting to me though, they are turning the light on this time themselves.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Unfortunately, Nothing will break the 2-party system that holds us in an imaginary world of self-expression with the illusion of a citizen controlled republic. They'll never let that happen.

That's not true. It can happen, but it takes brave people to run under their own platforms and not as an extension of an already existing party. I tend to tease some Libertarians a lot around here... but that's only because every time I hear of one they're running as a Republican. What's the use of anyone saying they want a third party to be in contention when the people they support are too scared to do it themselves? All this noise and apparent support among people, but yet they can't provide them enough strength and capital to run a steady campaign that can compete.

Very few people run as Independents or under their selected titles because they know without the (D) or the (R) they'll have to work a lot harder to raise campaign funds. But it's not as if someone who isn't a Democrat or Republican can't win an election.

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media
Certainly, our hamstrung "democracy" needs the emergence of a viable third-party, I just wish it wasn't the Tea Party. No offense to the Palin lovers out there.
As it stands, the Tea Party isn't even running as a 3rd party, but rather on the Republican ticket. They're not that viable third party. If they cause the Republican Party to become very much like themselves, however, they could very well overturn the Republican Party entirely in a decade or two, however, as the core voterbase that they are trying to appeal to with their current messages of cowardice and hate begins to die off.

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This is the worst general political analysis that I have ever read.

No matter what happens today this feels like one of those days like 9.11, JFK's murder or Woodstock. After today, America will never be the same.

This isn't to say it'll be worse, it will just never be the same. The Tea Party, if it can open up and make Liberals/Progressives feel welcome will bust this country open.

The fact today, though, seems to be that the Republican Party as we've known it, is finished.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I think the OP was spot on. I voted with my early ballot, but there's just a lot of tension in the air today. I keep wondering what the political battlefront is going to look like over the next year or so. It's a pretty solid guess that the GOP will make gains. They won't be catastrophic; this won't be a referendum on anyone. The pendulum swings pretty reliably against the incumbent party at midterm time.

My problem is how the substance of all this will shake down. The GOP has a lot left to explain in its pervasive retrenchment. If Tea Partiers take up Senate and House seats, there's no guarantee that they'll play nice. It is unclear to me how balanced proportions in the Senate (Dems with a very slight majority) will ensure bipartisan compromise, especially given how the first two years went. It also begs the question that if 47 GOPers make up the Senate, how are they going to press 13 on the other side of the aisle to reach supermajority status?

Finally, I wistfully note today that as I walked back toward my house, a Christian group was dressed up nicely and singing songs. I walked up just in time to find another young man standing there and watching them, and we were both listening to this extended prayer (diatribe) about how people should vote wisely. Just when I thought I would be surprised, "wisdom" necessarily included voting pro-life, anti-gay-marriage, low taxes, etc., etc.

Great. This is what we've been reduced to nowadays. Not that I have all the knowledge or info on the issues of today either, by no means, but I'm really pissed that politics has devolved over the decades into winning of the dumbest common denominator.

D

deleted15807

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I think the OP was spot on. I voted with my early ballot, but there's just a lot of tension in the air today. I keep wondering what the political battlefront is going to look like over the next year or so. It's a pretty solid guess that the GOP will make gains. They won't be catastrophic; this won't be a referendum on anyone. The pendulum swings pretty reliably against the incumbent party at midterm time.

My problem is how the substance of all this will shake down. The GOP has a lot left to explain in its pervasive retrenchment. If Tea Partiers take up Senate and House seats, there's no guarantee that they'll play nice. It is unclear to me how balanced proportions in the Senate (Dems with a very slight majority) will ensure bipartisan compromise, especially given how the first two years went. It also begs the question that if 47 GOPers make up the Senate, how are they going to press 13 on the other side of the aisle to reach supermajority status?

Finally, I wistfully note today that as I walked back toward my house, a Christian group was dressed up nicely and singing songs. I walked up just in time to find another young man standing there and watching them, and we were both listening to this extended prayer (diatribe) about how people should vote wisely. Just when I thought I would be surprised, "wisdom" necessarily included voting pro-life, anti-gay-marriage, low taxes, etc., etc.

Great. This is what we've been reduced to nowadays. Not that I have all the knowledge or info on the issues of today either, by no means, but I'm really pissed that politics has devolved over the decades into winning of the dumbest common denominator.

If the first two years of the Obama presidency have proven anything it is that:

1. You get NO credit for trying to compromise. If anything, some of your supporters are angry that you tried, and those in opposition to you (for opposition's sake) are never satisfied by the attempt anyway.

2. Steadfast opposition, obstinacy, obstructionism, and partisan politics WORKS...apparently. After all, won’t the obstructionists will be the ones rewarded tonight?

Apparently it pays NOT to cooperate and NOT to compromise. Why expect cooperation now?

Last edited:

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
^Very well said. It's not even opinion, what you wrote is in fact objectively true.

Unfortunately, Nothing will break the 2-party system that holds us in an imaginary world of self-expression with the illusion of a citizen controlled republic. They'll never let that happen.
We don't have a two-party system anymore anyways... We have a one-party system ruled by money. Our system is so purely corrupt, it almost seems normal.

B_OtterJoq

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The Tea Party, if it can open up and make Liberals/Progressives feel welcome...

"That's unpossible!" -- Ralph Wiggum

ralph_wiggum_800_1.gif

Randll86

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Yup.
"Meet the new boss/Same as the old boss". Pete Townshend

D

deleted15807

We don't have a two-party system anymore anyways... We have a one-party system ruled by money. Our system is so purely corrupt, it almost seems normal.

“Bill Moyers: "Money ruined Democracy."”

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
actually, the GOP has been modulated to accommodate the forces unleashed by the Tea Party movement

hopefully, the lib dems will be exposed for the danger to the Republic they are

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
actually, the GOP has been modulated to accommodate the forces unleashed by the Tea Party movement

Translation: "We're sending a buncha COMPLETE loons to Washington and even WE are getting scared shitless.... 'cause we don't know WTF they'll do!"

LOL

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

lol... You clowns are already starting the CYA and the blame gaming to cover up your inevitable failures.

Things gone wrong will be the fault of those kooky teabaggers, and if that doesn't work, then it's those commie Dem's fault... lol typical Republican cowardice is still in full effect... No accountability for your failures, just lies and blame to pin it on others. I can see the next two years will be filled with more of America sucking wind.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As it stands, the Tea Party isn't even running as a 3rd party, but rather on the Republican ticket. They're not that viable third party. If they cause the Republican Party to become very much like themselves, however, they could very well overturn the Republican Party entirely in a decade or two, however, as the core voterbase that they are trying to appeal to with their current messages of cowardice and hate begins to die off.
I think the Tea Party, given the right leadership, election results, continued two-party deadlock, and employment/economic woes, have the potential to emerge as a third-party in American politics.

I am waiting until 2012 before deciding what, if any, lasting impact they will have as a political movement. However, I did not dismiss them as "Teabaggers" and I won't now.

Translation: "We're sending a buncha COMPLETE loons to Washington and even WE are getting scared shitless.... 'cause we don't know WTF they'll do!"

LOL
The thing about populist candidates and their supporters, is that they believe the representative will think and vote like they would in the same position. I do not think they are scared as much as believe they *finally* have one of their own in a position of power.

Last edited: