the government fucked up my financial aid

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
so like, unless i can get a hold of my grandma or grandpa before monday, i'm not going to be able to pay for this semester. the good news is that their fuckin error was corrected, however...they can't have the money ready for me by monday. but like, if i do find a way to pay, then i'll be reimbursed. for the first time in my life, i'm fuckin stressed. and it sucks =(

i just needed to get that off my chest

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
will your school accept payment later? i'm not sure of your situation, but it never hurts to go to a financial aid officer and beg. then go to the billing office and beg. after that, go to the registrar and beg. the dean's office is a good choice too. at my school we could slide by without paying until the end of drop/add, which was a couple weeks into the semester. msot schools have a way of dealing with this, and if they know they'll be getting government-funded tuition money, they will usually help students out. get out there and start being a sqeaky wheel.

B_lisasdong

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sorry I can't fix that for you. But unfortunely the government is being consistent. Fukin up lives seems to be the signature of the Bush regime except of course their own.

Hope it works out for you.

That's a good point. I recall an interview with Bernstein where he had come by knowledge of a meeting where Cheney, Rumsfeld and Bush presided over a group that had been given the task of fucking up this guy's semester. Brutal.

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
That's a good point. I recall an interview with Bernstein where he had come by knowledge of a meeting where Cheney, Rumsfeld and Bush presided over a group that had been given the task of fucking up this guy's semester. Brutal.

I kno, I totaly watched it on C (to the) Span

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
will your school accept payment later? i'm not sure of your situation, but it never hurts to go to a financial aid officer and beg. then go to the billing office and beg. after that, go to the registrar and beg. the dean's office is a good choice too. at my school we could slide by without paying until the end of drop/add, which was a couple weeks into the semester. msot schools have a way of dealing with this, and if they know they'll be getting government-funded tuition money, they will usually help students out. get out there and start being a sqeaky wheel.

i tried asking in financial aid, and she said they wouldn't do it

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
so like, unless i can get a hold of my grandma or grandpa before monday, i'm not going to be able to pay for this semester. the good news is that their fuckin error was corrected, however...they can't have the money ready for me by monday. but like, if i do find a way to pay, then i'll be reimbursed. for the first time in my life, i'm fuckin stressed. and it sucks =(

i just needed to get that off my chest

I feel your pain. :redface: My financial aid was never recv'd by GWU until 4-8 weeks into the semester even though I always filed in a timely fashion. My profs understood the system better than I did, so I was never barred from classes. But receiving that official letter stating that the money wasn't coming always made my heart skip a beat and gave me agita. I do recall a particularly nasty financial aid officer at the university teling me that I was S.O.L. and if I was really worried about food I should go on welfare . . .NOT! Instead I lived on PB&J, and scrambled eggs & grits until my folks could afford to send me money.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

But did you bring them documentation that the funds are pending? Documentation makes a huge difference. If you haven't any proof, contact Pell, TAP, and whoever else, and ask them to send you a fax. You may have to run around, you may have to bust your ass a little, but this is worth it.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
But did you bring them documentation that the funds are pending? Documentation makes a huge difference. If you haven't any proof, contact Pell, TAP, and whoever else, and ask them to send you a fax. You may have to run around, you may have to bust your ass a little, but this is worth it.

my financial aid officer, who happens to adore me (she shops at the slavegreens i work for) tried everything in her power. she was the one that caught the mistake and told me how to fix it

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Talk to someone else in that department, and then go to others. There's no reason you should have not go to school because of a clerical error. If nothing else, someone should have an idea of something you can do to help your situation. You just have to be really aggressive about it. The key is not saying "okay" and walking away meekly.

AE had some good advice up there.

zgrog2000

Experimental Member
Media
Did the government "fuck" you or did a mindless bureaucrat who is employed by the government "fuck" you? And for more clarification, was it the Democratic Party that controls both houses of congress, the Republican executive branch, or just the career bureaucrats?

Sorry to hear your semester might be at risk. If you don't get the administrative error fixed maybe you could just work your ass off until next semester and generate some emergency funds.