3. ABBA.
4. Judy Garland.
5. Marilyn Monroe.
6. David Beckham.
7. Madonna.
8. Audrey Hepburn.
9. Jordan and Peter Andre.
10. Liza Minelli.
LPSG favourite ,Barbra Streisand is at No 14 on the list, Cher is further down.
The list also features .... Gordon Ramsey ?
Oh, well ...
Eclectic if nothing else .

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
what about "maria callas' for the cultured gays?

Sadly, only 5000 'culturally challenged' :rolleyes: gays appear to have been surveyed. :cool: :biggrin1:

Pink News comments pointedly:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The first homosexual on the list, Will Young, comes in at 19th place.

He is followed by Elton John at number 20. They only narrowly beat a plastic doll. (Barbie at number 21).

Overall there are only nine gay men on the list, either as individuals or as members of a band. (Young, John, Wham!, Rupert Everett, Westlife, Boy George, The Village People, Steps, Scissor Sisters).

There are no lesbians on the list. That means only 18% of "gay icons" are in fact gay.
[/FONT]

The remainder of the (UK-based) list, for positions 11 through 50, is as follows:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11. Cary Grant
12. Victoria Beckham
13. Girls Aloud
14. Barbra Streisand
15. Pink
16. Sharon Osbourne
17. Take That
18. Cher
19. Will Young
20. Elton John
21. Barbie
22. Richard and Judy
23. Cilla Black
24. Simon Cowell
25. Julie Andrews
26. Sister Sledge
27. Wham!
28. Rupert Everett
29. The Cheeky Girls
30. Fern Britton
31. Westlife
32. Beyonce
33. Gwen Stefani
34. Prince
35. Morrissey
36. Blondie
37. Boy George
38. Charlotte Church
39. The Village People
40. Ant and Dec
41. Doris Day
42. Gloria Gaynor
43. Gerri Halliwell
44. Donna Summer
45. Steps
46. The Human League
47. French and Saunders
48. The Scissor Sisters
49. Gavin Henson
50. Gordon Ramsay
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Isn't an icon someone/something that is supposed to represent something?

This list seems to be, to me, more of a wish list of who we WANT to be instead of who we ARE.

I think it's sad that oly 9 OF THEM ARE GAY THEMSELVES.

No wonder our culture is fucked up. We have no pride in ourselves.

SomeGuyOverThere

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
What kind of an "Icon" are they talking about?

I would have thought, like the above poster, that they'd have to represent homosexuality, not just be something gay people tend to like.

I would have thought the list would include Freddie Mercury and Graham Chapman FFS!

scanjock8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Isn't an icon someone/something that is supposed to represent something?

This list seems to be, to me, more of a wish list of who we WANT to be instead of who we ARE.

I think it's sad that oly 9 OF THEM ARE GAY THEMSELVES.

No wonder our culture is fucked up. We have no pride in ourselves.

Why should gays have to segregate the people they admire from the rest of society? We're not that downtrodden or alienated.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I really don't find any of the above to be "icons", at least not for me. Who gets to make the determination? What are the criteria? Lots of makeup and no talent?

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Why should gays have to segregate the people they admire from the rest of society? We're not that downtrodden or alienated.

There is a difference between admiring someone and looking to that person as an icon.

For example, a farmer is an Icon of ther American Midwest. Same goes for a cowboy.

The British Royal Family is an Icon of England.

The donkey and the elephant are Icons of the Democratic and Republican party. The bald eagle is an icon for America. Along with the flag.

Kylie Minogue, while an accomplished singer and cancer surviver, is NOT an Icon of gay culture, regardless of her number one postioning.

I agree with you that we are not that downtrodden and I'll go one step further. We're not downtrodden at all except if we allow ourselves to be. I have never once thought of myself as downtrodden, less than anyone else or a victim. But too many gay men and women have either actually been or consider themselves to be a victim.

The only way we will find a true gay icon is when we, as a culture, start to take more pride in ourselves and our position in society instead of wanting to be other people.

buddy629

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Where is Dusty???
Dusty Springfield.
Lesbian, gay icon, "Son of a Preacher Man", died in her 40s, had a huge gay following. Correct me if I'm wrong, but she had more songs in the top ten than any female recording artist ever. She was huge.

That list sucks, I couldn't give a shit about half of those people. The Beckhams...victoria beckham looks like an orange stick figure with dead eyes and bad skin. The Spice girls were a 1,2,or 3 hit wonder. Take That? Simon Cowell?

Charlotte fucking Church?? Give me a Break. Maria Callas, Kathleen Battle, or Montserrat Caballe` could sing the shit out of her whispery, edited, studio tracks. I hear she has vocal nodes anyhow...thank god.

I feel better, thanks :)