The Green Lantern

bigboy9239

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I thought it was a good movie. I am NOT a DC fan, having grown up with Marvel. But Green Lantern and the Manhunter from Mars are my two favorite DC characters. I thought it followed the DC history pretty close, with Abin Sur and Sinestro. Even at the very end of the movie, when Sinestro dons the Yellow Ring...and there's your sequel. My daughter was in New Orleans when they were shooting it.....But she said she saw the Rapper Common when she was there. Perhaps John Stewart, the black Green lantern will make an appearance in the future.

As for the alien GL's being CGI, what would you suggest? There are such bizarre forms of life in that universe, how else could they be able to do it?

gumbii

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
D.C. has unfortunately convoluted their "universe" to such a degree (much more so than Marvel) that no amount of fixing can undo the damage already done. On the contrary, every time they do something to attempt to straighten out the mess they've made (imaginary storylines, dream sequences, crises on Earths ad nauseum, and their most recent character "jumpstarts") they do greater damage because imo, nothing undermines a story worse than undermining the story or the story characters' continuity.

For example when they started redoing the JSA, why didn't they just set the stories in this Earth's past? Meetings between them and JLA would be time jump themes, caused by villainous manipulations of "space time continuum thingy ma jiggy".

And even if you must have two, even three "Earths", for heaven's sake, don't fuck with the character's continuity in each of those. You've got all these "Earths" and you still can't keep up with the character's story line? Superman was married, wait, no he wasn't, Batman was dead, wait, no he wasn't, that was Superman, wait, no he isn't, not one Earth One at least... 'er are we on Earth One? or Earth Two? Guess it'd depend on perspective, on which "Earth" we're really on.

Which is to say there's nothing wrong with Alan Scott of that (other earth?) being rewritten as gay. Hell, on Earth Two, I'm gay, or is it this Earth? I get my "earths" confused. Point being...

I never bought into the John Stewart Green Lantern. I always figured a black superhero needed an entity/identity/power all his own. None of that re-thread bullshit with Marvel's Blade, or McFarlane's Spawn.

If you're going to have a gay superhero (and it's damn well high time), go all the way. Give the guy his own powers, entity, name, and identity. Not a borrowed one.

My two cents.

wut..?

marvel has a grip of universes as well... check it...

Multiverse (Marvel Comics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the marvel multiverse is epic... not hard at all to keep track of... but earth 619 is the main one... it has never been rebooted... oh... now i understand what you're trying to say... like recently DC rebooted all of their titles... i'm only reading the new 52 batman... it's amazing... but, the other batman story arc didn't finish right... they just totally cut it off... it had a good story too about mr freeze's wife coming back to life finally, but turning into a super villain... and bam... no closure or nothing... yeah that did piss me off... so stupid...

now i see your point... DC is dumb... good thing i'm a marvel guy... i don't mind the multiverse... shiet, i even read most exiles comic arcs... multiverse jumping action...

I thought it was a good movie. I am NOT a DC fan, having grown up with Marvel. But Green Lantern and the Manhunter from Mars are my two favorite DC characters. I thought it followed the DC history pretty close, with Abin Sur and Sinestro. Even at the very end of the movie, when Sinestro dons the Yellow Ring...and there's your sequel. My daughter was in New Orleans when they were shooting it.....But she said she saw the Rapper Common when she was there. Perhaps John Stewart, the black Green lantern will make an appearance in the future.

As for the alien GL's being CGI, what would you suggest? There are such bizarre forms of life in that universe, how else could they be able to do it?

martian manhunter is bad ass... but recently he betrayed the justice and joined stormwatch... in the new 52 justice league issue 8, it shows him fighting the justice league in a flash back... but they don't explain anything about it... LOL...

but if you like him, you should watch the animated series "young justice"... it's so good... season 2 just started... it's way better than any marvel cartoon so far...

btw, i don't know why marvel can't make a good cartoon movie like DC... "under the red hood" and "justice league doom" are amazing...

dlfellow

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
wut..?

marvel has a grip of universes as well... check it...

Multiverse (Marvel Comics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the marvel multiverse is epic... not hard at all to keep track of... but earth 619 is the main one... it has never been rebooted... oh... now i understand what you're trying to say... like recently DC rebooted all of their titles... i'm only reading the new 52 batman... it's amazing... but, the other batman story arc didn't finish right... they just totally cut it off... it had a good story too about mr freeze's wife coming back to life finally, but turning into a super villain... and bam... no closure or nothing... yeah that did piss me off... so stupid...

now i see your point... DC is dumb... good thing i'm a marvel guy... i don't mind the multiverse... shiet, i even read most exiles comic arcs... multiverse jumping action...

martian manhunter is bad ass... but recently he betrayed the justice and joined stormwatch... in the new 52 justice league issue 8, it shows him fighting the justice league in a flash back... but they don't explain anything about it... LOL...

but if you like him, you should watch the animated series "young justice"... it's so good... season 2 just started... it's way better than any marvel cartoon so far...

btw, i don't know why marvel can't make a good cartoon movie like DC... "under the red hood" and "justice league doom" are amazing...

i love both DC and Marvel...and i agree DC's new 52(or second reboot)is strong in some areas(Bat books,Storm Watch,Aquaman,Teen Titans,Legion of Superheroes,Action Comics,Green Lantern,Green Lantern Corps)
and weak in other areas(OMAC,Hawkman,Justice League Dark)
but i do agree with you,reboots make me mad,to me they should just add better talent to the books instead of "starting over"
the thing that pisses me off over at Marvel is the huge event cross-overs,it's aways a huge "the Marvel universe will never be the same" over-hyped multi-book mess. some of them i've liked(World War Hulk)but they don't have shit on the older cross-overs(Secret Wars,The Mutant Massacre,the Inferno)and what i liked about those were that they weren't company wide.meaning that if it was an X-men issue,it stayed with them,and the same for the Avengers and the Fantastic Four.

Young Justice is really good,but have you watched any of the Avenger's Earth's Mightiest Heroes? it's like the great era of the comic series commin' off the page and right on the tv.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I never understood the Green Lantern and really used to confuse him with the Green Hornet.

Green just scares me ever since that Charlton Heston movie.

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The main problem with the movie is that it was miscast from the first place. Ryan Renolds would have made a fantastic Kyle Raynor but as Hal Jordan, he sucked.

In regards to Alan Scott now coming out as gay, as has been mentioned before, it's just a cop out. First off, when I think of Green Lantern, the last person I think of is Alan Scott. Honestly, he just never impressed me much.

When I heard that DC was going to "out" a main character, I honestly thought it was going to be Wonder Woman. The reason being, years ago there was an issue (I think it was Justice League International) where it was the Martian Manhunter and 4 female super heroines, Wonder Woman was part of the 4.

Naturally, the woman were talking about sex and one looks over at Wonder Woman and says something to the effect of, "What did you do with no men on Paradise Island?"

Wonder Woman slowly takes a drink and says, "Why do you think we called it Paradise Island?"

But back to the main topic of the thread, the movie was decent if you don't know Green Lantern history. It has all the main things that you'd want in a sci fi/action film.

It was just LACKING in so many things. I enjoyed John Carter Warlord or Mars much better than Green Lanter.

Sklar

KTF40

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Definitely agree with this. I think Justice League is the greatest cartoon show of all time. But Young Justice is awesome as well.

bigboy9239

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
>>I never bought into the John Stewart Green Lantern. I always figured a black superhero needed an entity/identity/power all his own. None of that re-thread bullshit with Marvel's Blade, or McFarlane's Spawn.<<

I don't agree....I find no reason for a black or any other color Green Lantern NOT to be a GL. It was the fact that there could be many incarnations of GL...over centuries, that appealed to me. Me being an ex railroader, I would have loved to see the original GL.....which was where the "lantern" idea came from anyway. A Green lantern was a "go" signal to trainman. Alan Scott (a railroader) would be an interesting side note....but of course, I'd be looking for railroad related stuff...and heaven help them if they got it wrong!! Witness...the Denzel movie last year- Unstoppable. I picked it apart...but hey get it right the first time.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
>>I never bought into the John Stewart Green Lantern. I always figured a black superhero needed an entity/identity/power all his own. None of that re-thread bullshit with Marvel's Blade, or McFarlane's Spawn.<<

I don't agree....I find no reason for a black or any other color Green Lantern NOT to be a GL. It was the fact that there could be many incarnations of GL...over centuries, that appealed to me. Me being an ex railroader, I would have loved to see the original GL.....which was where the "lantern" idea came from anyway. A Green lantern was a "go" signal to trainman. Alan Scott (a railroader) would be an interesting side note....but of course, I'd be looking for railroad related stuff...and heaven help them if they got it wrong!! Witness...the Denzel movie last year- Unstoppable. I picked it apart...but hey get it right the first time.

Yes, I know that GL is a corps of universal guardians and that there are many Green Lanterns, so why not a black one. That wasn't my point.

Look, there must have been dozens of black superheroes by now in all of the pulp fiction publications known as comic books (and spin-offs), including the two most noteworthy that I mentioned above (because they both appeared in feature films as the primary character). "Successful" based on readership (or not) most of these have been original creations as superheroes.

I think the gist of what I was getting at is that in MY opinion it'd be a bigger move on D.C.'s part to add gay superheroes into their lineup as original superheroes rather than rewriting existing ones.

Perhaps this is a first step for them, but they need to do more. Maybe they can create a character and call him something snazzy, like Northstar, or something.

Last edited: