The healthcare reform bill is shit.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_Davy_Downspout, Apr 3, 2010.

1. D_Davy_Downspout

D_Davy_Downspout Account Disabled

I looked on the first two pages, and all I could find against this bill was posts by Trinity. Those are all derailed by now, because everybody hates Trinity.

I see a lot of conservatives against this bill, and usually it's because they have no idea what's in it. I see a lot of liberals for it, and usually for the same reason.

All the "reform" really did was fix a few things that should never have been problems in the first place, leave loopholes out of some of of those, and double-down on a broken, moribund system. There are no significant cost controls present in the bill. People will still be uninsured. It is not "universal".

It's not even really a step in the right direction, because it's a step in the wrong direction.

2. stratedude

Gold Member

Albums:
  3. houtx48

Gold Member

waa waa waa sorry you have a black president.

4. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    To the OP: I notice you didn't write anything specific.

5. D_Smidley Smelliepits

D_Smidley Smelliepits Account Disabled

Coming from a country where there is universal health care (Spain), of course it's not enough... no even close to universal. But, since it's the US, I think it's a big step towards it. Yeah, it ushould have been a bigger move, but considering the ideology of Reps and Dems and the difficulties to pass the bill, it's a good sign. Just think that future changes will be easier or, at least, possible - maybe not under Obama's administration, but under the following ones. It's just a start. And a very risky one in US politics.

6. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

specific enough -- just the very concept is crap enough

7. houtx48

Gold Member

The truth is when implemented Nicky will be the first pig at the trough.

8. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I'm at the point where I really don't give a fuck either way if people hate the bill anymore.

The fact that we still have adults in this country who are either too greedy & selfish to give an ounce of care to the struggles or problems of people below them (as if the same plights could never happen to them) or if it's just blind, ideological talk that are based on equally inane assumptions & predictions, it just amazes me to no end how people are willing to twist their own bigotries to make it seem as if what they're feeling is completely justified.

The bill isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Just like the attempts to repeal the ban of gays in the military, everything is done in small steps. That's why we have DADT right now and that's why we currently have this watered down bill in law instead of the major reform all of the progressives were expecting. It takes care of some things, and as we move forward I'm sure there will be more amendments and laws pass to elaborate on more ideals.

As for the bullshit from the lunatic fringe about revolution who get hard-ons at the smallest of the smallest gun touting metaphor, do us all a favor and STFU. Just like the truthers who planned to rush the government to expose Bush as being a war criminal, you're not going to do a damn thing except whine, bitch, moan and wave your firearm while indirectly bragging about how you can shoot someone. Here's the real truth of the matter - All you're gonna do is walk around your local Wal-Mart with your loaded gun acting as if that, alone, is going to get you respect. That may work in your quiet, small town or suburb but it sure as hell isn't going to make anyone flinch in the city where it's understood that many people walk around with guns already... they have the common sense to conceal them to not bring any kind of unwanted attention to themselves.

9. sargon20

Gold Member

10. D_Davy_Downspout

Is this aimed at me? If so, that's silly.

I'm happy to, but I object to the basic concept of the bill, so I figured I'd start there. For-profit medicine is the problem, requiring people to buy it is not the answer.

Like I said, it's not a step in the right direction. It doubles down on a broken system.

11. D_Davy_Downspout

12. sargon20

Gold Member

^ tell that to the 40 million and growing with no health care.

13. D_Davy_Downspout

There will still be people without healthcare under the bill. I don't disagree that it will help people on the margins. They shouldn't have been without healthcare in the first place.

14. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

As if some people really have a choice in the matter.
    Not everyone who currently don't have healthcare are lazy people with no job, or people who believe they're indestructible and won't get sick. Many are born into poverty, where the option of having health care is not available. By all means, hate the bill for whatever reason you wish. But don't blame other people for it.

15. D_Davy_Downspout

I wasn't.

You guys need to recallibrate your arguments. You're busy arguing against a conservative strawman of me, without actually reading what I'm trying to say.

16. cruztbone

Gold Member

The health care reform bill is overdue by decades. it is not shit, but the GOP opposition to it, and their support of big health corporations IS SHIT. Sinwin, go back and actually read the summary of the bill on the CSPAN website. you will see it ilong overdue , and while not a panacea, it is a VAST improvement over the miserable health care system we have endured for too damn long.

17. D_Davy_Downspout

It doesn't CHANGE the miserable health care system. It was written by the healthcare companies.

The GOP opposition to it means nothing. They'll oppose anything. The bill is basically the same one they put out in 1994 to oppose Hillary.

18. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that your argument regarding the bill is that it doesn't go far enough with reforming the health care system, and like I stated earlier... The bill isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Just like the attempts to repeal the ban of gays in the military, everything is done in small steps. I don't have to put someone in a box, or try to stick a label on them in order to figure out their gripes. Never once did I imply that you were a conservative either. However, you comment about people not being on healthcare to begin with is not only apathetically dismissive, it's REALLY perplexing considering where you seem to stand on the issue.

I don't see things in binary... please remember that next time.

19. D_Davy_Downspout

Nor do I. I wasn't being apathetically dismissive. I was pointing out that any reforms in this are laughable, because only in America would the situation exist where you could outlaw blatantly disgusting stuff, while shoveling money into the industry that created the situation, and call it "reform".

You don't have to be against the shitty crumbs they left us with to criticize the bill.

Please tell me what the step is, that comes after the "further entrench an evil industry by throwing money at them" step?

20. sargon20

Gold Member

It's step-by-step. You can't click your heels three times and you're home.

Draft saved Draft deleted