The Heritage Index of Economic Freedom

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Drifterwood, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Country rankings for trade, business, fiscal, monetary, financial, labor and investment freedoms

I find this very interesting. I was not able to view their pages explaining their judging criteria, and no doubt because they are right wing champions of the free market, there will be points of disagreement. However from my European perspective, it is disquieting that we have so much variance within Europe where we are supposed to have a level economic playing field.

Good to see an Islamic country, Bahrain, so far up the list at No. 16.

2. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I got lots of broken links on that site too - but their methodology is here, if anyone wants to read it: http://www.heritage.org/index/pdf/Index09_Methodology.pdf

I wasn't at all surprised to see Ireland at #4 - we'd be higher if it wasn't for that pesky 'freedom from corruption' criterion!! :rolleyes:

I wasn't able to view Ireland's stats on the 10 (database error) but I notice that France is seriously dragged down by its score in the 'Government Size' category, something we really need to sort out over here - 'Fiscal Freedom' ain't great either. As someone who lives here I can say that is a fair reflection.

#2 ManlyBanisters, Feb 4, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  3. cockoloco

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was actually surprised at how low our financial freedom is. It really fucks up our overall average.

Draft saved Draft deleted