The "i need an answer" thread!

D

deleted3782

If you see one eye, it's a sign of being watched. If you see two eyes, it's a sign of blatant paranoia.:rolleyes::biggrin1:

Gotcha, so the fact that you each have one eye represents the fact that you are watching each other as a result of blatant paranoia. Why didn't ya just say that? :tongue:

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Are you left handed?

Nope, very right handed (and right footed, for sport).

Here's a query that arose today as BF did laundry: where does the word "detergent" come from? Is the root "deter" or "tergent"? Is there any product called a tergent?

Similarly, does someone who is depressed need to be pressed to feel better?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
And tell me why I don't like Mondays...

No one but you can explain why you don't like something. But if you are trying to quote the Boomtown Rats song you've messed it up - because the lyrics there are "Tell me why, 'I don't like Mondays'" - i.e. The question is 'Tell me why' and the answer is 'I don't like Mondays. The song is about a 1979 school shooting, when the perpetrator was asked why she had done it she responded "I don't like Mondays; this livens up the day."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Don't_Like_Mondays

Here's a query that arose today as BF did laundry: where does the word "detergent" come from? Is the root "deter" or "tergent"? Is there any product called a tergent?

The word comes from the Latin 'tergere' (to wipe/polish) with the prefix 'de' (off/away) and originally meant 'to wipe away / rub off.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=detergent

Mastur

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Lemon Pie, sweetie...
There is no rule stating that when one quotes something verbatim within another context that the content of said quote should carry the same intent...

Thanks for introducing me to etymonline.com, though! Great site!

Gymfresh: courtesy of etymonline.com, the word 'depression' is a late 14C astronomy term from the Latin 'depressionem' or 'deprimere', meaning 'to press down' or 'depress'.

Discoboy: don't know if it's available over there, but I use a product called 'Locabiotal' to put an abrupt end to my sinus afflictions when they rear their ugly snotty heads.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Lemon Pie, sweetie...
There is no rule stating that when one quotes something verbatim within another context that the content of said quote should carry the same intent...

Thanks for introducing me to etymonline.com, though! Great site!

Are you talking to me? 'Lemon pie'? Um - sure, what ever floats your boat...

Anyway - you are not quoting Geldoff verbatim because Geldoff's lyric had punctuation that you left out and that punctuation is part of the quote. See if you can tell the difference here:

To be, or not to be: that is the question.
'To be or not to be that' is the question.

You see? In the first I am quoting Shakespeare, in the second I am using the same words in the same order but I am not quoting Shakespeare. Just as you were not quoting Geldoff. But that's OK, that's your prerogative. :smile:

Last edited:

Mastur

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
My, but we are having a pedantic day! So sorry...
However, as I have stated, it is totally acceptable to use any quote to any effect as required, unless it pertains to the original context in which it was said, in which case it should be applied correctly (punctuation et al).
I never made any reference to that awful shooting disaster, now did I? Nor did I make mention of Geldhoff (although I did use his words - and for that I profusely apologise to all that is holy in your life),
It was a joke (at least one that Nudie got), so please do me a major favour and lighten up already!

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I did say 'if' you were trying to quote the Rats song in my original comment on the matter - you could have just said 'no, I wasn't' or 'it was intentional'. Wouldn't that have been easier? A lot of people misunderstand that lyric - I thought maybe you were one of them.

And then you had to take exception and give it all that 'sweety' bullshit. You can expect I'm not going to roll over when talked down to like that.

You were inaccurate and you tried to put me down for pointing it out, even though I did so in good faith, but you made the mistake of being inaccurate in your attempted put down. Of course I'm going to pick on that.

ColonialBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ok, some questions from me, probably dumb ones...

1) How do you differentiate between the Whites in Australia and in America, other than their accent? Are there are physical differences, or something?
You dont. White Australians and Americans came mainly from British/Irish/German ancestry. About 25% of aussies have Irish ancestry like the US. There isnt a vocal Jewish presence here though.

Australians are very laid back, being non-neurotic is a virtue. Extremists like Glen Beck would be ignored here.

Last edited:

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Lol...Thanks for the answer colonial. Appreciate it :)

Another question,

my is my presence harmful to clarity of television, or speed of internet...? It's like my body is produving magnet wave or something that can distort other electronic machines.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
my is my presence harmful to clarity of television, or speed of internet...? It's like my body is produving magnet wave or something that can distort other electronic machines.

Depends on your mood.
You are a Fourth Gradient Noise-Generated Signal Ablation Transducer™, one of only seven within six parallels of latitude of the equator.
As such, your effect, intended is not, is particularly deleterious to Internet signals as well as certain Maytag washing machines, especially those dating back before 1992 and the introduction of the 'S'-band Interference Squelcher Coil.
Not much you can do except move significantly further north or south.