The IgNobel Prize

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I saw a news report on CBS this morning on the imaginative group which recognizes the most far out, weirdest research. It's real stuff and it goes to show that it's not only the USA that spends megabucks on inane studies.

ENGINEERING
The late John Paul Stapp, the late Edward A. Murphy, Jr., and George Nichols, for jointly giving birth in 1949 to Murphy's Law, the basic engineering principle that "If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, someone will do it" (or, in other words: "If anything can go wrong, it will").

PHYSICS
Jack Harvey, John Culvenor, Warren Payne, Steve Cowley, Michael Lawrance, David Stuart, and Robyn Williams of Australia, for their irresistible report "An Analysis of the Forces Required to Drag Sheep over Various Surfaces."

MEDICINE
Eleanor Maguire, David Gadian, Ingrid Johnsrude, Catriona Good, John Ashburner, Richard Frackowiak, and Christopher Frith of University College London, for presenting evidence that the brains of London taxi drivers are more highly developed than those of their fellow citizens.

PSYCHOLOGY
Gian Vittorio Caprara and Claudio Barbaranelli of the University of Rome, and Philip Zimbardo of Stanford University, for their discerning report "Politicians' Uniquely Simple Personalities."

CHEMISTRY
Yukio Hirose of Kanazawa University, for his chemical investigation of a bronze statue, in the city of Kanazawa, that fails to attract pigeons.

LITERATURE
John Trinkaus, of the Zicklin School of Business, New York City, for meticulously collecting data and publishing more than 80 detailed academic reports about specific annoyances and anomalies of daily life, such as: What percentage of young people wear baseball caps with the peak facing to the rear rather than to the front; What percentage of pedestrians wear sport shoes that are white rather than some other color; What percentage of swimmers swim laps in the shallow end of a pool rather than the deep end; What percentage of automobile drivers almost, but not completely, come to a stop at one particular stop-sign; What percentage of commuters carry attaché cases; What percentage of shoppers exceed the number of items permitted in a supermarket's express checkout lane; and What percentage of students dislike the taste of Brussels sprouts.

ECONOMICS
Karl Schwärzler and the nation of Liechtenstein, for making it possible to rent the entire country for corporate conventions, weddings, bar mitzvahs, and other gatherings.

INTERDISCIPLINARY RESEARCH
Stefano Ghirlanda, Liselotte Jansson, and Magnus Enquist of Stockholm University, for their inevitable report "Chickens Prefer Beautiful Humans."

PEACE
Lal Bihari, of Uttar Pradesh, India, for a triple accomplishment: First, for leading an active life even though he has been declared legally dead; Second, for waging a lively posthumous campaign against bureaucratic inertia and greedy relatives; and Third, for creating the Association of Dead People.

BIOLOGY
C.W. Moeliker, of Natuurmuseum Rotterdam, the Netherlands, for documenting the first scientifically recorded case of homosexual necrophilia in the mallard duck.

http://www.improbable.com/ig/ig-top.html

Anybody have a nominee for the 2004 IgNobel Prize?

I nominate my history professor, Dr. J. B., for his government-granted study on the motion picture plot comprehension of theater patrons who sit in something squishy when they finally find a seat in the dark.

Pecker

(It is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light, and certainly not desirable, as one's hat keeps blowing off.)

aj2181: Haaaa :D

I remember hearing about those 'awards' last year on the radio I think they're great. Can think of my own nominee too.

awellhungboi: :D :D Those are great! Now we know why so many chickenfarmers are so damn hot!

And I don't know the percentage of shoppers who exceed the number of items in the express lane, but I'm sure I'll be behind them in line 99% of the time.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=DoubleMeatWhopper link=board=meetgreet;num=1067788765;start=0#1 date=11/02/03 at 09:49:10]I have my own nominee, but it would be ignoble and most unmoderatorial of me to mention Panthera by name! ::)[/quote]
LOL

I can think of a few, though:

Medicine - to Jai Maharaj for his research into iron as a cause of diabetes and carbohydrates as a preventative measure
Psychology - joint award: to Phillippe Rushton for ground-breaking research on penis size and IQ; and to Lloyd deMause for his paper on satanic ritual abuse
Physics - to Alexander Abian for proving that we didn't go to the moon

longtimelurker: Another good engineering one in the news today -

The 'aeromat' - a more aerodynamic beer mat so that it is easier to do 'beermat flipping' - i.e. knocking the end up from the edge of the table and catching it in mid-air. I Johnston, Open University and H Lucas, Oxford University.

I personally prefer the Darwin awards, though - prizes for improvement of the human gene pool by people removing themselves from it in the most idiotic ways possible.

http://www.darwinawards.com/