The Internet can sometimes be used for good

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I read about this story a few days ago:

Life changed this week for a Trenton woman accused of taunting her dying 7-year-old neighbor, prompting her to publicly declare a change of heart. Jennifer Petkov, 33, admitted on camera Thursday night that she used her Facebook account to post disturbing death-related images of Kathleen Edward, who is in the last stages of Huntington's Disease, and her late mother, who died of the degenerative brain disorder.

Why? "Personal satisfaction," she said without apology. "Because it rubs their asses raw. Burns their asses."
Link

In short, an adult woman decided to take her personal issues with a family out on a seven year old girl, to make matters worse the seven year old has a terminal disease. The woman posted images on facebook which featured the dying girls mother (who also died from the same disease) in the arms of the grim reaper. Really awful stuff.

Understandably people who read about this on the internet were angry and a campaign was started to find this woman and basically make her life hell. What I found interesting was one websites different point of view about this matter.

The notorious website 4chan has tracked down the woman and posted information about her and her family however Reddit decided to take a different approach, instead they set up a fund which people could donate money to help out the seven year old girls family. Currently they are teetering on nearly $7,000 worth of donations.

I found this particularly moving because to me it shows that although the easy option is to get mad and take revenge, there is a higher ground and you can actually do some good and help others.

What do you guys think about this?

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I think it's a small step in the right direction.

It would be nice if it became the norm, but these days, I won't hold my breath.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Great result. I was going to say that I thought the woman got off lightly but on reflection what would "going for her" achieve. Focusing on helping the girl was positive.