The jock itch blues

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by B_Italian1, Oct 27, 2007.

1. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

I’d heard about jock itch my entire life, but never had it until earlier this year.

It started out as tiny red dots on each side of my groin, and spread little by little in a vertical fashion. One side was worse than the other, and it didn’t spread onto my genitals. Thinking it might go away on its own, I waited a week and only put powder on it. When it didn't improve I went to the drugstore.

The first thing I tried was Neosporin AF (miconazole nitrate), and used it for about 10 days. It did nothing.

http://www.pfizerch.com/uploadedImages/product/Neosporin/prod_neosporinaf_jock_lg.jpg

Then I switched to Lotrimin (butenafin hydrochloride) for about 10 days, and that didn't do the trick either.

http://www.lotrimin.com/images/p_ultra/LotriminUltraJockItch12g.gif

I finally went to see the doctor. He looked at it and I said, “It’s awful, isn’t it?” His reply, “Hell, no! I’ve seen far worse than that.”

He wrote me a prescription for Clothrimazole and Bethamethasome Diprorionate Creme (I’m reading this off the box and hope I spelled it right.)

Within 2 days it was 50% better, and in 5 days it was just about gone. The only thing left were some brown marks left where the red rash was.
    I continued to used it for another 5 days and the brown marks finally disappeared.

I wasted a month waiting and trying over the counter products, and a visit to the doc cured me in about 10 days!

2. ryanart

ryanart Member

Hey thanks for the post been having the same problem myself goin to my doc to get some help. THANKS MAN

3. horneyoldguy

horneyoldguy New Member

Albums:
    Jock Itch and Athlete’s foot

Jock itch and athlete’s foot are very similar. Athlete’s foot comes from tinea peids, a gkin in the groin area. In both cases the warm, moist environment is the perfect place for the fungus to grow. Anything that enhances that environment puts the person at risk of getting jock itch. Therefore, wearing sweaty, wet clothing in the summer time or wearing several layers of clothing in the wintertime causes an increased incidence of jock itch. Men are affected more often than women.

This post is about athlete's foot, the post below is about jock itch. I could not fit them onto one post because the amount of characters go over the amount allowed by LPSG.

Athlete's Foot

Athlete's foot is a skin disease caused by a fungus, usually occurring between the toes. The fungus most commonly attacks the feet because shoes create a warm, dark, and humid environment which encourages fungus growth. The warmth and dampness of areas around swimming pools, showers, and locker rooms are also breeding grounds for fungi. Because the infection was common among athletes who used these facilities frequently, the term "athlete's foot" became popular.

Symptoms

The signs of athlete's foot, singly or combined, are dry skin, itching, scaling, inflammation, and blisters. Blisters often lead to cracking of the skin. When blisters break, small raw areas of tissue are exposed, causing pain and swelling. Itching and burning may increase as the infection spreads.
    Athlete's foot may spread to the soles of the feet and to the toenails. It can be spread to other parts of the body, notably the groin and underarms, by those who scratch the infection and then touch themselves elsewhere. The organisms causing athlete's foot may persist for long periods. Consequently, the infection may be spread by contaminated bed sheets or clothing to other parts of the body.

Treatment of Athlete's Foot

Treatment for athlete's foot is usually simple, uncomplicated, and usually carried out at home. Topical antifungal preparations should be effective in treating dry and scaly areas. These include topical clotrimazole (Lotrimin) and miconazole (available over the counter) and terbinafine (Lamisil) cream.
    Sometimes, prescription oral antifungal medication may be required if the condition is severe. Medications may include griseofulvin, itraconazole (Sporanox), or terbinafine.

Prevention

It is not easy to prevent athlete's foot because it is usually contracted in dressing rooms, showers, and swimming pool locker rooms where bare feet come in contact with the fungus. However, you can do much to prevent infection by practicing good foot hygiene like daily washing of the feet with soap and water and drying carefully, especially between the toes. The following are some tips to help prevent athlete’s foot.

Always dry the feet, paying particular attention to the toe webs.

After drying, apply antifungal lotion and follow this with an antifungal foot powder. Zeasorb AF is good because it contains no cornstarch, a substance that can encourage fungal growth.

Wear socks made of absorbent fibers, and change them frequently (at least daily).

Wear waterproof sandals in public showers and pools.

When the feet are going to perspire excessively for extended periods of time, wear socks made of high turbo acrylic fiber. This will wipe the moisture away from the feet and carry it to the sock's outer layer to evaporate.

When the weather is hot and humid, go barefoot whenever possible.
    Avoid tight, poorly ventilated shoes.
    Sandals or perforated shoes are best.

Be sure to air your shoes at night and, if possible, do not wear the same street shoes or athletic footwear every day.

There are other things that cause conditions similar to jock itch or athlete’s foot. If your condition does not go away, consult a physician.

http://dermatology.about.com/cs/fungalinfections/a/jockitch.htm
    http://www.healthscout.com/ency/416/718/main.html#TreatmentofAthlete
    http://www.apma.org/s_apma/doc.asp?CID=146&DID=9386

4. horneyoldguy

horneyoldguy New Member

Albums:
    Jock Itch Appearance

The rash of jock itch starts in the groin fold usually on both sides. If the rash advances, it usually advances down the inner thigh. The advancing edge is redder and more raised than areas that have been infected longer. The advancing edge is usually scaly and very easily distinguished or well demarcated. The skin within the border turns a reddish-brown and loses much of its scale. Jock itch caused by T. rubrum does not involve the scrotum or penis. If those areas are involved, the most likely agent is Candida albicans, the same type of yeast that causes vaginal yeast infections.

Jock Itch TreatmentJock itch is best treated with topical creams or ointments since the fungus only affects the top layer of skin. Many of the antifungal medications require a prescription, but there are three that can be bought over-the-counter (OTC). The OTC antifungals are tolnaftate (Tinactin), clotrimazole (Lotrimin), and miconazole (Micatin). Creams used to treat jock itch should be applied twice a day for at least two weeks. Application can be stopped after the rash has been gone for one week. Creams should be applied to the rash and also at least two finger widths beyond the rash. Many people with jock itch also have athlete's foot and these same creams can be applied to the feet. However, treatment of athlete's foot can take up to four weeks. If the rash is very red and itchy, especially if it has blisters at the edge, a topical steroid such as hydrocortisone can be applied also. Steroids should not be used in the groin alone without consulting a health care provider since steroids alone can make the rash of jock itch much worse.

Jock Itch Prevention

To prevent jock itch from occurring or re-occurring, several measures may be taken.

Wear loose fitting clothing made of cotton or synthetic materials designed to wick moisture away from the surface.

Avoid sharing clothing and towels or washcloths.

Allow the groin to dry completely after showering before covering with clothes.

Antifungal powders or sprays may be used once a day to prevent infection.

http://dermatology.about.com/cs/fungalinfections/a/jockitch.htm
    http://www.healthscout.com/ency/416/718/main.html#TreatmentofAthlete
    http://www.apma.org/s_apma/doc.asp?CID=146&DID=9386

5. Meniscus

Gold Member

You should used the medicine twice a day for 2 weeks to make sure the infection is completely gone. Even though it may seem like it's gone after a week, if you stop treatment early, it can come back.

Clotrimazole is the anti-fungal ingredient. Betamethasone dipropionate is a steroid which doesn't treat the infection, but it is anti-inflammatory and relieves itching and irritation. There is one downside to using topical steroids, and that is that if you use them long-term, they can permanently thin the skin.

clotrimazole - Skin Diseases, Conditions, Symptoms, and Procedures on MedicineNet.com
    betamethasone dipropionate (Diprosone, Diprolene) - drug class, medical uses, medication side effects, and drug interactions by MedicineNet.com

The first time I ever got jock itch was about 4 years ago. I didn't know what it was. I tried using hydrocortizone but that didn't work. I went to my doctor and he recommended clotrimazole, but he told me told me to buy it over the counter. Target sells a 1 oz. tube for $4.99. Anywhere else it costs $8-$10.

Fungal infections can be very difficult to beat. About 2 years after my first case of jock itch, I got it again. (I also developed a severe, excruciating case of interigo on my inner thighs, which took about 9 months to get rid of.) Ever since then, the jock itch keeps coming back, usually within a month or two after stopping treatment. I think the reason I'm so susceptible to these recurring infections is because I have hyperhydrosis (excessive sweating), particularly in the crotch.

If you haven't already done so, wash all your towels, underwear, pants, sheets, blankets, etc. in hot water. Use bleach on your whites. Clean your bathroom thoroughy. Scrub the tub, wash the floor, wash the shower curtains, etc. After showering, use a separate towel to dry the infected area. Use an absorbent powder on your crotch. Zeasorb AF contains an anti-fungal ingredient and has been highly recommended to me, but it's pricey. I find that Odor Eaters foot powder actually works pretty well to absorb sweat, but it's not anti-fungal. If you sweat a lot, change your underwear mid-day, if possible.

The fungus that causes jock itch it quite common. You'll never be able to completely eliminate it from your environment. The best you can do is to try to minimize your exposure as much as possible. Good luck.

6. lilbear

lilbear Member

I go "commando" 24/7 and have never had any problem with jock itch. Keeep the are clean and dry as much as possible. I have also recommended to my patients to avoid wearing tight nylon/synthetic briefs. I also suggest that a hair dryer (on low setting of course) be used after a shower to make sure that the groin and scrotum are completely dry. Cotton briefs, boxers or freeball are best. Of course, if a guy is diabetic he is more prone to jock itch.

7. horneyoldguy

horneyoldguy New Member

Albums:
    These are worse case jock itch pictures, what could happen if the jock itch is not taken care of and ignored.

Attached Files:

8. Fredro

Fredro New Member

A can of Cruex from the drug store would have cleared it up. I've had it two times over the past twenty years and that's all I ever needed.

9. pleasureboy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It's one of those things that I think is just inevitable if you workout in gyms or live in a dorm or whatever.

A really cheap thing is to go to Wal-Mart and buy their generic anti-fungal creme. It's with all the athlete's foot stuff. It's basically the same thing, just in a different part of the body.

Apply that creme a couple of times a day for a few weeks and it should go away.

You can also get some talcum powder if you're prone to sweating.

10. Meniscus

Gold Member

Agreed. Using a low setting is important, not only to not burn yourself, but you don't want to cause sweating.

11. pleasureboy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Oh yeah, and don't forget whatever meds you use you have to put it on your inner legs and the crack of your ass too.

Look at it this way man, if you're straight you should have a lot more respect for women now. Their anatomy is a lot more prone to stuff like this just by being naturally wetter than guys. They have to be careful and still end up dealing with goofy infections sometimes...

12. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

I guess I should have used it longer, but it went away so fast I stopped using it. This was back in the spring and it hasn't come back since then. If it does I will start applying that creme immediately. I have almost a full tube left.

It kind of looked like that first pic but not as bad, and it didn't go on my penis at all. It was right in the cracks, one side worse than the other. Kind of weird I got it this late in life.

13. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It's the best deal out there for the same % of active ingredient. It works great for both JI and AF.

14. cmore925

cmore925 Member

Albums:
    I used to be a drug rep that called on ob-gyn doctors. I sold a product for yeast infections. I was told that the cream used for yeast infections works well for jock itch and athlete's foot. I tried the cream and it work right away. So you can also pick up medicine for yeast infections (if you are not scared or embarrassed) and it will work better than the over the counter meds for jock itch.

15. horneyoldguy

horneyoldguy New Member

Albums:
    A cousin to athlete's foot is onychomycosis, a condition otherwise known as toenail fungus, which one in ten adults suffers from. It can manifest in many ways but it basically causes the nail to lose its nice uniformed look in exchange for a dry, thicken nail sometimes accompanied with surrounding red, swollen, cracked skin. The following are pictures of toenail fungus.

I had this several years ago and it took me a while to get rid of it. I was told by the doctor it could have been caused by having damp feet from wet socks when I hiked or from when after I showered either at home or at the gym and didn't throughly dry my feet enough before getting dressed and putting on my socks and shoes.

Attached Files:

16. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lilbear recommended against tight nylon or synthetic briefs and I have to agree. On the few occasions I wore nylon briefs (many years ago) I got jock itch the very same day. In the last year, however, I have worn nylon tricot boxers made by Players. The are so lightweight, they dry in minutes and let air go right through. They keep me really dry and have some stretch, so they don't bind. Overall, they are the most comfortable underwear I have worn.

Draft saved Draft deleted