The Karen Carpenter fan Club

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Discussing someone like karen you're going to get into alot of arguements right off the bat. She was too white, she was too middle of the road, she was too middle America. Then you are going to argue with folks that say she was a great singer, a clear and gorgoeous singer kept in the fold of her hideous brother, unable to grow.
Either way, and I guess most people know me now as a person that is really into older music and real singers but there's something about Karen that just makes me happy hearing her.

The Carpenters really lucked out. They became famous for a music style that was decidedly not popular at the time. Their whole wholesome style and message went against the grade yet they became #1 recording stars,
Karen always seemed to me at least reserved and kind of sad. I was a kid when they were stars but she always seemed sad. It would be interesting to me at least to know where she lies on the list of top drummers as she's one of the few famous female drummers.
I usually like a rock gal but there's something about Karen that makes her a winner. I just like hearing her voice.
The Carpenters had a freaky ammount of million seeling hits
We've Only Just BegunBut they went on.
Superstar
Goodbye To Love
Close To You
Rainy Days and Mondays
"'Funny but it seems like it's the only thing to do..."
Funny the Carpenters managed to go thru the Viet Nam war era of rock stars and still shine with their homespun message. They were probably the only folks still giving the worls a homespun message of the ideas they had years before. The Carpenters toured REKENTLESSLY for ages and it began to wear on Karen. There are lots of theoreis on what happened then but everything rolls back to Richard Carpenter.
And actully this docu puts it into play very well
Carpenters
Carpenters part 2
Part 3
Next Part
Next Part
Last Part

Part 1 of Todd haines AMAZING Karen Carpenter Story

Last edited:

I'm not a fan of The Carpenters. I find their music schmaltzy and forgettable; I find their image impossibly Wonder Bread wholesome to the point of sterility.

Karen Carpenter did have a remarkable voice and the talent to use it. I give her full credit for that.

I also have to say that Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story is one of the more astonishing and memorable films I've seen despite the fact I don't like The Carpenters. It's disturbing and fascinating.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm not a fan of The Carpenters. I find their music schmaltzy and forgettable; I find their image impossibly Wonder Bread wholesome to the point of sterility.

Karen Carpenter did have a remarkable voice and the talent to use it. I give her full credit for that.

I also have to say that Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story is one of the more astonishing and memorable films I've seen despite the fact I don't like The Carpenters. It's disturbing and fascinating.

That's the whole point. Something about Karen Carpenter makes you feel good or makes you see a part of yourself. I know it's odd but it's true.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Karen Carpenter was amazing. The music is beautiful. Christmas would not be the same for me without her music. I consider her one of the great voices of the 20th c.

Reactions: Les38

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was never a fan while she was alive. I have come to appreciate her voice especially during the winter holidays. I have a friend who is friends with Dorthy Hamill, and the three of us had lunch a few years ago and I learned what a sad life she was living.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I loved Karen Carpenter.her voice wrapped itself around you. Some of the voices I remember most from my childhood were Karen Carpenter, Cass Elliott, Anne Murray, John Denver, Carly Simon, Carole King,Gordon Lightfoot, James Taylor, even Glenn Campbell. They all had voices that would go right through you and make each song memorable. It is sad that so many of them had such rough lives...

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I recall hearing somewhere that she was a perfectionist when it came to their music. Whether that was the case or not, I have to admit to an occasional fondness for the Carpenters works. Superstar was and is one of those which I can for whatever reason listen to again and again and again and again and...

Then again, if I have to hear Close To You one more time, I'm apt to go insane!

Karen Carpenter; however, had a sweet soothing voice and was also able to convey imagery through her singing.

Sideline trivia- In 1971, The Temptations had a hit with Superstar (Remember How You Got Where You Are) and there was also the Broadway Jesus Christ Superstar which had just opened at the Mark Hellinger (in October).

At the same time that The Carpenters had Superstar on the airwaves, James Taylor had, Long Ago And Far Away (I own the 45), which is only of interest because the first words (Long ago) are the same as those from Superstar.

(well, that was more than anyone asked for:redface:)

Carpenters- I can take them mostly in small doses when in the right frame of mind (same as is true with Abba).

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
There are lots of theoreis on what happened then but everything rolls back to Richard Carpenter.

People connect the dots and decide that Richard Carpenter was responsible for Karen's decline and death, but I've never seen that much that persuaded me that he was really to blame.
I sometimes think he's treated very unfairly.
What do you think, Hells?

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I'm not a fan of The Carpenters. I find their music schmaltzy and forgettable;
Karen Carpenter did have a remarkable voice and the talent to use it.

I agree with both these statements. I'm sorry she wasn't around long enough to have had the time to allow her music to mature.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
People connect the dots and decide that Richard Carpenter was responsible for Karen's decline and death, but I've never seen that much that persuaded me that he was really to blame.
I sometimes think he's treated very unfairly.
What do you think, Hells?

There's alot of speculation regarding any role Richard might have had in overworking Karen. They did tour relentlessly. It is tho wodely regarded as true that he did play a role in supressing Karen's solo album. The record company supposedly hated it and it was released till well after her death. I can't see why tho because it's very much like a Carpenter's album if not a bit more eneven in style. It is tho entirely enjoyable. Had that album been released when she made it I think it would have gone a long way w/uplifting her self worth, but who can really say tho.
The thing I do find odd about Richard and Karen is when you see them in interviews they ar almost always very serious and kind of monotone in speech. They seem completely bereft of a sense of humor. It would have also been interesting to see where her solo career would have gone.

From the solo album
Also from the solo album
Believe it or not a disco song from the solo disc
Also on the disc is a good version of Paul Simons' Still Crazy After All These Years.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A dear friend of mine grew up near the family house. He said even after ther became famous Karen would play with the kids on the streets and was very kind. I think the Richard was a little full of himself but they had such huge fame it must have been difficult. I think the problem Karen had was not talked about in public. The family just didn't understand how to help I believe.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's my impression she struggled with anorexia since adolescence. It's a tenacious illness and, from my anecdotal observations, more often situated withing the mother/daughter relationship than the brother/sister relationship. I will add that they few anorexics I have known were relentlessly hard-working.
Dave

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's my impression she struggled with anorexia since adolescence. It's a tenacious illness and, from my anecdotal observations, more often situated withing the mother/daughter relationship than the brother/sister relationship. I will add that they few anorexics I have known were relentlessly hard-working.
Dave

Dave,
I agree with your observations. I have a dear friend that has been anorexic/bulimic to some degree for most of her life. She is extremely hard working, extremely competent and a perfectionist to a fault. When competing in the workplace, she has to outperform everybody or the thinks she is a pile of crap.

I don't think there is a cause and effect between anorexia and a driven personality. I do think they both come from the same underlying causes.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dave,
I agree with your observations. I have a dear friend that has been anorexic/bulimic to some degree for most of her life. She is extremely hard working, extremely competent and a perfectionist to a fault. When competing in the workplace, she has to outperform everybody or the thinks she is a pile of crap.

I don't think there is a cause and effect between anorexia and a driven personality. I do think they both come from the same underlying causes.

Same here... I have a friend who has been anorexic for most of her life, and I believe it contributed a lot to her major, major health problems (she's unable to work or even walk for very far, and has had multiple surgeries). And yes, before she became unable to work due to disability, she was very hard working, in fact, even after her disability, she tried to work even when she really couldn't! Add to this that she comes from a very over-achieving family (her siblings are all doctors and one is the head of a medical center).

As for Karen Carpenter, she's actually one of the singers I've thought about singing karaoke to (if I can get up the nerve to get up there and sing!) because her voice, although much better than mine, was about the same pitch as mine is.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Same here... I have a friend who has been anorexic for most of her life, and I believe it contributed a lot to her major, major health problems (she's unable to work or even walk for very far, and has had multiple surgeries). And yes, before she became unable to work due to disability, she was very hard working, in fact, even after her disability, she tried to work even when she really couldn't! Add to this that she comes from a very over-achieving family (her siblings are all doctors and one is the head of a medical center).

As for Karen Carpenter, she's actually one of the singers I've thought about singing karaoke to (if I can get up the nerve to get up there and sing!) because her voice, although much better than mine, was about the same pitch as mine is.

The image we get from a distance is that an anorexic/bulimic person is someone who is unaware of their affliction. But my friend is completely aware of it and still can't keep from doing it. It is the most insidious thing I have ever seen. It defies all logic.

I forgot to add my opinion of Karen Carpenter. Although her music was too sacharine sweet for me at times, I have to add my vote to the fan club. Her voice and style was unforgettable. I am not sure I would want to attempt karaoke with her songs.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The image we get from a distance is that an anorexic/bulimic person is someone who is unaware of their affliction. But my friend is completely aware of it and still can't keep from doing it. It is the most insidious thing I have ever seen. It defies all logic.

I forgot to add my opinion of Karen Carpenter. Although her music was too sacharine sweet for me at times, I have to add my vote to the fan club. Her voice and style was unforgettable. I am not sure I would want to attempt karaoke with her songs.

My friend is aware of her anorexia as well, and also can't keep from doing it. Although often she referred to her anorexia as "I USED to be anorexic, but I'm not now", then when she was in the hospital for another condition, the hospital staff made notes of her caloric intake daily. She was averaging around 300 calories a day, if that.

I'm trying to get up the nerve to do karaoke. I used to sing in a choir but I haven't sung solo since like third grade. (Back then I had no problem with that, but I wasn't born shy - I BECAME shy due to things that happened to me. In third grade I hadn't become shy yet.) I also have had problems with my throat that made singing painful, and was afraid that would crop up again in the middle of karaoke. Karen Carpenter's voice is one that I really like for karaoke though. I love my altos! And yeah, some of her songs were kind of schmaltzy, but I really do like "Top of the World". (I also like that she was a drummer! Funny... I've posted about two female drummers in threads tonight! Karen Carpenter in this thread, and Sheila E. in the jazz-hiphop-funk-soul thread...I like that. I was actually unaware that girls were discouraged from playing drums until I was an adult, although I knew that girls were discouraged from doing a lot of other things - from personal experience, sheesh!)

Last edited: