The Latest in Rape Prevention

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Heather LouAnna, Nov 12, 2006.

?

What do you think?

1. I think it'll work. I'd wear one if I were scared enough.

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. This shit is just crazy weird.

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Not for me, but I'm glad it's out there.

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I don't like it because it makes my penis hurt just thinking about it.

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    Look at the image first, then read the article.

KLEINMOND, South Africa - A South African inventor unveiled a new anti-rape female condom on Wednesday that hooks onto an attacker's penis and aims to cut one of the highest rates of sexual assault in the world.

"Nothing has ever been done to help a woman so that she does not get raped and I thought it was high time," Sonette Ehlers, 57, said of the "rapex," a device worn like a tampon that has sparked controversy in a country used to daily reports of violent crime.

Police statistics show more than 50,000 rapes are reported every year, while experts say the real figure could be four times that as they say most rapes of acquaintances or children are never reported.

Ehlers said the "rapex" hooks onto the rapist's skin, allowing the victim time to escape and helping to identify perpetrators.

"He will obviously be too pre-occupied at this stage," Ehlers told reporters in Kleinmond, a small village about 60 miles east of Cape Town. "I promise you he is going to be too sore. He will go straight to hospital."

The device, made of latex and held firm by shafts of sharp barbs, can only be removed from the man through surgery which will alert hospital staff, and ultimately, the police, she said.

It also reduces the chances of a woman falling pregnant or contracting AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases from the attacker by acting in the same way as a female condom.

South Africa has more people with HIV/AIDS than any other country, with one in nine of its 45 million population infected.

Ehlers, who showed off a prototype on Wednesday, said women had tried it for comfort and it had been tested on a plastic male model but not yet on a live man. Production was planned to start next year.

But the "rapex" has raised fears amongst anti-rape activists that it could escalate violence against women.

"If a victim is wearing such a device it may enrage the attacker further and possibly result in more harm being caused," said Sam Waterhouse, advocacy coordinator for Rape Crisis.

Other critics say the condom is medieval and barbaric — an accusation Ehlers says should be directed rather at the act of rape.

"This is not about vengeance ... but the deed, that is what I hate," she said.

Image Two

How it works

So apparently, you have to let the guy get off with poking you at least once anyway?! I dunno about that shit.

2. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell New Member

Albums:
    I don't know about it either. and theoreticaly, if rapists knew this device was out there, couldnt they stick a couple fingers in, find the edge of it and pull it out before they did their thing?

3. Channelwood

Channelwood New Member

If you think that's bad, think about the early 20th century devices consisting of a metal tube -- closed and rounded at the far end for insertion, but open ended at the entrance with a long metal barbed spike. (Or in one version I saw, three spikes.) The rapist who forces himself in gets impaled on the spike. I can't find the diagrams of it right now, but they're pretty horrific. I don't know if they were ever used succesfully to injure an assailant, rather than to just give Edwardian women a sense of security.

4. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

5. BigA

BigA New Member

Your poll is stupid cuz it has differnt options for men and women

6. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

The poll is not stupid. Rape is no laughing matter:cool:

7. Snakebyte

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The idea is good.
    But is it safe for the women?

8. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree that something needs to be conjured up...but Wouldnt the blood from the barbs going into an Engorged Penis (thats what makes it hard for those who didnt know...) start spraying blood into the vagina and pose a more serious health threat I.E. Aids, HIV, bla bla bla.

Im all for making them pay for doing that, however this one seems too risky for the female as well.

C

9. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    You are correct. The poll itself has an IQ of exactly zero.

10. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    Nobody here is an expert on the device, but I doubt blood is going to spray everywhere. They're barbs, not Samurai swords.

11. laakeri

laakeri New Member

Albums:
    The whole purpose of this device is for use in a society in which up to 50% of the population is HIV positive and in which some men believe that sex with a virgin will cure them of the disease. It's to take out a small percentage of rapists in an environment where women are not safe in any way. The device would be...less than convenient and not really helpful in most places, as women would have to wear it all the time, wherever they go--women in, say, most of Europe and Northern America are not at such risk as much of the time. While rape is always a possibility, I would say that women in these societies are not quite as fearful for their lives as their sisters on the African continent.

That said, if it works even a handful of times, rip 'em to shreds, girls.

12. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

I would never knock anyone for tying to help stop a serious and unacceptable crime. But this product fails on several levels.

Would women really wear it? as pointed out.

Does it have any prevention merit? I don't think so, as you would have to let men know that you were using it and then they would simply remove it. Rapists will be carrying latex dildos.

Would it lead to escalated violence against the woman? Probably, both if they found it and if it got attached.

Will it be used maliciously? Probably

Why not carry a pepper spray with a permanent dye marker or just the dye marker?

Why does the South African government do so little to address this woeful situation and the ignorance surrounding Aids? :confused:

13. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    A lot of you are complaining that the only way for this device to work is to "let the rapist" get in first. Don't make me laugh. Who "lets" a rapist fuck her? I would argue that even a woman who doesn't put up a fight when she is attacked still isn't just "letting" a man violate her. He's forcing her through physical force or fear. That's what rape is. Not all women react the same way to a given situation. What the shit? How is that escaping some of you?

In the article there's a woman worried that the pain would only anger an assailant, making him start to beat the woman. Well I'd argue he already hated her and was likely to kick her ass anyway, especially if she had been putting up a a good fight.

I think this is a good idea. I have yet to read an opinion opposing it which makes much sense to me.

I'll tell you one thing I have observed. Women who have not been sexually assaulted always talk big about how it couldn't happen to them. They'd fight, and they'd win. They'd leave him marked and bruised and walk away without getting raped, and with plenty of his DNA under their nails. ha! But if you talk to survivors, they fought, and got raped anyway. Or they didn't fight, and got raped because they were scared. On page 7 of her book Lucky, Alice Siebold says, "Those who say they would rather fight to the death than be raped are fools. I would rather be raped a thousand times. You do what you have to." In parts of her book she discusses the shame, self-hatred and guilt she feels about "assisting" her attacker. She describes every gory second of her rape in crystal clear detail. Read, ladies, and see if you would really not try anything- anything at all to gain an advantage against violent crime if you lived in a place where it was not merely a matter of if, but rather when. It's not even just South Africa. I once read an article about how women who worked the swing shift in a certain border town in Mexico were disappearing left and right. Most were never found, but many turned up later sexually assaulted and mutilated. A small handful escaped with their lives, but were raped, beaten, and obviously believed dead by their assailants. Like Ms. Siebold says, you do what you think you have to.

I'm glad the option will be there.

And what's up with the men who voted in the poll that they don't like it because the thought hurts their penis? Fuck! We're talkinng about rapists, not Bozo the Clown. Should their dicks hurt at the very least?

14. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Kotchanski, you haven't actually contradicted me. Oops. I think you thought you did.

What you have done is made some assumptions about me. What's my gender? Am I a rape survivor? Have I ever been sexually assulted? Have I ever fought off or outfoxed a would-be assailant? You don't know, and I'm not saying. But you are making assumptions. Oh yes you are.

The last bit you said:
    This is the only thing that has been said that even remotely makes me think twice. But then I remember that in the part of the world where this device is meant to be distributed, innocent women suffer all the time.

15. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm not assuming about how some unafected women speak of the act if it were ever to happen to them. I have overheard and participated in many such conversations.

And I'm not an idiot (you'll have to try harder, dear). I don't think anyone is trying to release this product into the mainstream. But maybe I missed something in the article where they mentioned a hope to make it available worldwide.

Selective reader, huh? I can see the negatives. In certain applications, I just don't think they outweigh the positives.

Do you support the prison system? When there's trouble do you involve the police? If you answered yes consider this: innocent people get caught up in that all the time; horrible, unspeakable things happen to them in prison, and some are put to death. But only a minority steadfastly adhere to a code of not snitching, and policing their own communities, solving their own matters of justice. But that's okay because you have to break a few eggs to make a cake they say. Whatever.

16. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm thankful you are still sane. I value your input on this board.

However, on the subject of this device we disagree.

I quoted you here to ask what is wrong with seeking revenge on your rapist.

If someone violated me in that way there would be no statute of limitations on payback. 20 yrs later if I'm in my car and he's in a crosswalk, he's dead.
    Simple.

I have more to say but I'm running late.
    More later.

17. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Gotcha. Then we agree on that too. I certainly don't condone the hating of a group for the actions of an individual.

Back to some of the issues mentioned regarding this device. I don't think that it's THE solution but I do think it is a helpful aid in preventing some rapes.

1. The existence of the device alone will act as a deterrent to some would be rapists before they even consider enacting their sick fantasy.

2. Wondering if a targeted victim is wearing one might cause an about to be rapist to pause long enough for the targeted victim to get beyond his intended snatch point (ie. from darkened stairwell to lit parking lot, or secluded path to public street)

Both of these are examples of where just the existence of the device could save someone well before they are even aware that they could have been a victim, whether they wear one or not.

3. If the attack does happen and the rapist thinks to check for or remove the device, then he is using one less hand to control the victims limbs, giving them an additional bit of time to fight and struggle free.

4. If the attacker doesn't check for the device and just plunges on in...
    SURPRISE!!! Pain, injury and a new piece of jewelry for his prize possesion, marking him as someone who went somewhere uninvited.

Theoretically the pain should curl him into a whimpering ball and in many cases it may do just that, but even if it doesn't incapacitate him it will still provide a better opportunity for the victim to escape either further rape, beating or in many cases the death that the attacker might have had planned for them anyway.

The biggest drawback that I see is the drawing of blood/std tranferrence posibility that was mentioned earlier, but considering it's a rape scenario, chances are he was planning to be very rough and bareback upping the chances of this anyway. The article does mention that this is designed like a condom so this may help to prevent that somewhat, I hope.

To address Kotchanski's concerns of it being used against innocent men, yes, this is a possibility, and it would be a dreadful thing to have happen.
    But then again perhaps knowing that this device exists might just reinforce the importance of foreplay before plunging away in consensual sex.

This thing might just be win/win.

Edit: Note that I have refrained from using gender in this post. Men can be raped too and this device may work the same for men as it does for women, just using a different insertion point.

18. incher2

incher2 New Member

I think that such a device would become obsolete after the first few perpetrators were injured by it.

News would spread, and men would start checking for these and other potential items that might be hidden in vaginas.

19. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

From a self defence pov this product is flawed. The reason is that the assailant is likely to be physically in control of the victim at the time the product strikes. A man who is raping is not likely to suddenly feel remorse if his penis is spiked all around, rather the opposite I imagine.

Whilst I am not usually considered PC - I would say that it is not a bad thing for men to feel shame about their sex from time to time.

20. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Precisely, and while they are looking they are using one hand less to control the victim.

While this is true you can't deny that the moment he gets spiked he's going to be at the very least momentarily distracted if not suffering temporary paralysis from the shock of it. It's just one more opportunity to for the victim to fight thier way free.

Draft saved Draft deleted