The Legacy of Ronald Reagan

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
the Soviet Union caollpased under it's own weight with NO help from Mr Reagan.......unfortunately he was president when HIV first reared its head.....It took him YEARS to even say the word AIDS in public.......how many lives would have been saved if he hadn't seen AIDS as a moral issue instead of a public health crisis?

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The notion that Ronald Reagan was primarily responsible for the downfall of the Soviet Union is just a bit too self-serving for my taste. Its also disrespectful of the millions of people in various countries around the globe who also struggled against Soviet style communism for decades.

That Ronald Reagan was a great statesman also stretches the truth. The guy was just an empty suit with a smooth voice. Even Reagan's closest advisors described him as shockingly ill informed on policy matters. Great figurehead? Perhaps. Great statesman? Not a chance.

BigDuder

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I Have Opinions About Politics!!!! Here Me Fellow Members Of An Internet Message Board Dedicated To Large Penises!

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
And let's not forget the Savings and Loan scandal of the early 80's. It has been called the largest theft in the history of the world. 150 billion dollars disappeared and thousands of small investors saw their life savings wiped out. The deregulation started under Carter but accelerated under Reagen. I remember his words as he signed the enabling legislation- "I think we hit the jackpot"

Ronald Reagan was a terrible President.

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And let's not forget the Savings and Loan scandal of the early 80's. It has been called the largest theft in the history of the world. 150 billion dollars disappeared and thousands of small investors saw their life savings wiped out. The deregulation started under Carter but accelerated under Reagen. I remember his words as he signed the enabling legislation- "I think we hit the jackpot"

Ronald Reagan was a terrible President.

he was a replubican, nuff said! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

hey vince!

PrepCock

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Ronnie was a champion! It's so easy to look back and criticize, but the Reagan white house gave us something we lacked under the Ford and Carter administrations...balls! The guy taught us to have some self-respect again, so let's have some props where they are due bitches!

...and anybody who has ever seen his moves would agree that he definitely shouldn't have stayed an actor!

chico8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
He'll go down as the president that took America under. He aided and abetted greed and destroyed the social fabric of America.

To those who think he had anything to do with the downfall of the USSR, you've been smoking some really wicked stuff. I'd advise you to lay off for awhile and read up on history.

B_phe1249

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Anyone who says that Reagan was the greatest statesman in U.S. history is the idiot. I could name a dozen presidents and two dozen persons who were secretaries of state, secretaries of the treasury, 5-star (or more) generals, justices of the Supreme Court, U.S. Senators (think Webster or Clay, among many others), etc., who were "greater statesmen" than the second-rate actor from California (and I'm not referring to Arnold).

OK Name them.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
It's all very well to snipe, but who did the other party have standing against him?

He was pretty popular in the UK, though people did laugh a bit at his gaffs which were quite frequent, if I remember, I am getting a bit older now myself. :tongue:

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It is suprising that after all this time there is such a rift in opinion regarding the man.

Why do you suppose he is so popular to so many and hated by so many? Do we all have a skewed vision of history? Or do we just selectively look and certain aspects of his legacy to rationalize out our already set opinion of the man?

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It is suprising that after all this time there is such a rift in opinion regarding the man.

Why do you suppose he is so popular to so many and hated by so many? Do we all have a skewed vision of history? Or do we just selectively look and certain aspects of his legacy to rationalize out our already set opinion of the man?

"All this time?" It hasn't been that long. Most people responding in this thread were alive when Reagan was still in office. We won't have any historical perspective on his presidency for at least another 50 years, maybe more. People still get emotional about FDR. At this point, his name and legacy are still used so commonly as a touchstone for Republican candidates that of course personal biases still enter the equation when considering his contributions.

B_Italian1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Published a week after Ronald Reagan's death

How The Media Try To Minimize Reagan's Accomplishments
By Joe Mariani (06/13/04)

The death of former President Ronald Reagan brought out the worst and most vitriolic of his and America's critics, all trying to minimize the positive aspects and results of his eight years in office.

Even CNN and the Associated Press are getting in on the action. When trying to focus public attention on the few negatives of his presidency doesn't serve their purpose, the jackals resort to distorting and even creating the facts.

Even when they speak well of him, they speak only of his winning personality, his inveterate optimism, and his ability to communicate, while ignoring his policies and accomplishments.

Most of us remember President Reagan as the man responsible for revitalizing the American spirit, bringing the economy out of its tailspin, and defeating the Soviet Union--immense and daunting tasks at the time. The completion of any one of them would be cause enough to honor and respect the man; Ronald Reagan accomplished all three and more. The haters, as usual, focus exclusively on the negative, no matter how minor.

Reagan and AIDS

They want to paint a picture of a President who ''ignored'' AIDS, started wars for fun, and just happened to be in the White House when the Soviet Union collapsed of its own accord. It's a false portrait.

The whine that ''President Reagan ignored AIDS'' is simply ridiculous. AIDS was not identified until 1981, and Reagan's government spent $5.7 billion on AIDS research, beginning in 1983. In 1988 - the last year he was in office -- there were only 32,311 cases of AIDS diagnosed in the US, and a drug had already been approved that held the promise of treatment. By way of comparison, there were over 62,000 cases of diabetes diagnosed in the United States that same year, yet no outcry about this was heard from the Left then or now.

It amazes me that Liberals don't try to blame Reagan (or current President Bush, for that matter) for not halting the scourge of diabetes, a disease which has killed more people than AIDS. It's not about lives, of course, but lifestyle. Liberals have been trying to turn AIDS into a ''romantic disease'' (no pun intended, of course), much like consumption (tuberculosis) in the 19th Century. Unfortunately, AIDS is often spread by the deliberate actions of the infected. There's no romanticizing that, and no drug can stop it.

Liberals often excoriate Reagan for his liberation of Grenada and support of Nicaraguan rebels. His opposition to the spread of communism in Central America (as well as the rest of the world) seems to infuriate them. Generally, the people actually liberated from those communist regimes have a very different view of President Reagan. ''Nicaragua is free because of Ronald Reagan,'' said Nicaraguan banker Roberto Arguello. ''He was highly focused on getting rid of the Sandinistas. He made it part of his strategy to get rid of the evil empire that had planted seeds in Nicaragua, Cuba and Grenada. Ronald Reagan is revered by Nicaraguans.''

Reagan warned the nation of the growing Soviet threat in Central America in 1986. ''A few years ago, then-Soviet Foreign Minister Gromyko noted that Central America was, quote, 'boiling like a cauldron' and ripe for revolution,'' Reagan said. ''In a Moscow meeting in 1983, Soviet Chief of Staff Marshal Ogarkov declared: 'Over two decades ... there was only Cuba in Latin America. Today there are Nicaragua, Grenada, and a serious battle is going on in El Salvador.' ''

But we don't need their quotes; the American forces who liberated Grenada captured thousands of documents that demonstrated Soviet intent to bring communist revolution home to the Western Hemisphere. It was partly by halting the spread of Russia's influence and power that Reagan was able to defeat them.

While Liberals believed that the United States should be reconciled to the existence of the USSR and the continuation of the failed containment policy known as the Cold War, Ronald Reagan saw a way to bring that government to its knees--now, in our time.

He increased our military budget, forcing the USSR to increase its own military spending to match. In fact, given the 28.3% increase in the Gross Domestic Product during the 1980's, the overall increase in military spending as a percentage of the GDP only increased by .6% during Reagan's term, though it nearly doubled in dollar amount from $158 billion to $304 billion (in 1987 dollars).

To the Soviet economy, however, a drastic increase in spending was unsustainable, and Reagan's proposed anti-ballistic missile defense system (Strategic Defense Initiative) which was a death-blow. The USSR could never hope to match it. The moment that Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev insisted that SDI research be stopped at the summit in Reykjavik, and Reagan walked away from the table, the Soviet Union was doomed.

The critics may have a point--if we had just waited another fifty or a hundred years, the Soviet Union may well have suffered an economic collapse. At what cost? During that time billions of people would have lived out their lives in fear and virtual slavery, and no one can tell how many would have died in its death throes. No collapsing government has ever gone quietly onto ''the ash heap of history'' of its own volition.

And Communist Russia needed to be defeated--totalitarian governments which rob their citizens of life, liberty, and the freedom to pursue happiness are the antithesis of what America is all about. We are by nature--or ought to be--opposed to such regimes.

Though there were and still are other oppressive governments in the world, Ronald Reagan defeated the chief of them all, the one that funded and fueled so many others. In a way, his economic and foreign policies were cut from the same conservative cloth. He believed in giving people a chance, not a handout.

America During the Reagan Administration

President Reagan's economic policies stimulated the economy, creating 17 million new jobs. One-fourth of the new jobs were created in 68 consecutive months. Black unemployment was cut in half.

We were given incentives to save our money, to work, and to invest because of Reagan's tax reforms.

The inflation rate decreased to less than 4.4%. Family income rose 12%.

We drew the line in Grenada, Libya, Afghanistan, and the Persian Gulf, and no countries have fallen to communism during the Reagan era.
The U.S. military was refurbished and strengthened.

People from other nations are flocking to America to follow our example. Our principles of civil and economic freedom are now being copied all over the world.

America Just Prior to the Reagan Administration

Seven million Americans were unemployed.

We were told to live on less, to buckle our belts and to prepare for scarcity.

Americans went through two of the worst years of inflation in 60 years.

There was a 13% inflation rate. Family income dropped and we had the highest tax bill in our history.

We were on the verge of a major recession.

With our cold wars during the '70s, we inspired our enemies not to be afraid of us. The Soviets refused to come to the bargaining table. Cultural exchanges between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. came to a halt.

Disarmament was considered a noble goal. We did not know where to draw the line in our negotiations with the Soviets. Three countries fell to communism under the Carter administration: Benin (1977), Nicaragua (1979), and Zimbabwe (1980).

Guns and tanks that did not even work were being sent to battle.

America wore a "kick me" sign on its back. We lost our edge in technology and in global markets due to excessive government regulation, and high taxes which devoured capital.

D_Harry_Crax

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
He is a true American hero. Yes, he can be credited for the downfall of the Soviet. He is one of the brightest and greatest American presidents.

Reagan bright? LMAO. (I think that's the first time I've ever used that expression on this web site.) The right wing lauded his collected letters as brilliant, even though they only proved he was literate. He was neither a great writer nor a deep thinker, when he was thinking at all.

D_Harry_Crax

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Published a week after Ronald Reagan's death

Americans always get mushy when someone famous dies. American got mushy when Princess Di died and when John F. Kennedy Jr. died, but neither one of them had accomplished much of anything either.

I remember reading liberal, moderate, and conservative (Wall Street Journal) newspapers and magazines all during all awful eight years of the Reagan administration. I would suggest you go back and read what was written by columnists, reporters, historians, and his own former staff members during and right after his administration. He was a bumbling fool. One of his supposedly brilliant ideas to intimidate the Soviets was "Star Wars," which still cannot and does not work 20 years later.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He was a great leader and what I consider to be a true conservative. He instilled a sense of pride in our nation which sadly does not exist to a large extent now. I had the honor to be invited to hear him speak once, he was a brilliant man and moving speaker and well respected for his convictions. IMO, he was one of the best, if not the best leader this country has had the good fortune to call President.