"The Libertine"

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi,

I just finished watching the Johnny Depp DVD "The Libertine" a screenplay about the life of The Earl of Rochester, John Wilmott a rake extraordinaire in the court of King Charles II, of England. It was fascinating and disturbing as well. has anyone else seen it and what did you think?

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Wifey and I watched it last night on DVD. Some coincidence, huh?

The Muckraker seems like an apt description for him. An unrepentent rebel without a pause. Cynicism taken to an art form.

Depp, Malkovich and Samantha Morton were very good. The director didn't impress me.

It was interesting how John Wilmot was enraptured by the magical allure of Elizabeth Barry's talent and ability to transcend the ordinary with "emotional truth". The fact that she was ultimately incorruptable at her core, was something he obviously envied. And he sorely lacked her ability to "feel" deeply.

But spare me in future — I don't need to see any more syphilis ravaged faces and incontinence for some time to come. :eek:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not really,
Since it just came out on DVD. I Lover period films and the Restoration is a period that fascinates me. I think his hardness was what chilled me to the bone. What was the point? Who knows perhaps today a little zoloft , prozac, or lexapro could have given the world a whole different man.

rawbone8 said:
Wifey and I watched it last night on DVD. Some coincidence, huh?

The Muckraker seems like an apt description for him. An unrepentent rebel without a pause. Cynicism taken to an art form.

Depp, Malkovich and Samantha Morton were very good. The director didn't impress me.

It was interesting how John Wilmot was enraptured by the magical allure of Elizabeth Barry's talent and ability to transcend the ordinary with "emotional truth". The fact that she was ultimately incorruptable at her core, was something he obviously envied. And he sorely lacked her ability to "feel" deeply.

But spare me in future — I don't need to see any more syphilis ravaged faces and incontinence for some time to come. :eek:

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
His hardness was possibly the outcome of having such an awesome intellect that he could only feel contempt for everyone else.

I've known up close only a couple of super brilliant people whose minds were capable of functioning at an elite level, and my observation is that they seemed sorely taxed by boredom and the banality they felt they had to endure around them. They had very little empathy for others. Possibly almost sociopaths.