The Logo Channel

B_Cocktale

Just Browsing
Media
My cable package for television allows me to get something called The Logo Channel which is directed nearly entirely toward the LGBT community.

I've had the channel for about two years.

In the beginning it was pretty mundane since they were getting their footing. Many older gay-themed movies were featured over and over again. But now it's become more and more topical with its own series Noah's Arc and some more recent very thorough documentaries - one most particularly on the evolution of the establishment of gay marriage as Constitutional in the fair state of Massachusetts.

Sorry if this topic's been covered before.

I'm curious to learn how many others have seen this channel and find it pretty interesting.

BIGdkluver

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't have LOGO, but I've heard about it.

I do, however, have "here!TV," which is another all-gay channel which I get with my cable. (By the way, not to start a whole new discussion, but which do you think is better--cable or satellite?)

Here!TV also shows both full-length, gay-themed movies as well as sexy, X-rated weekly series featuring lots of male nudity--as well as some sappy plots every once in a while :rolleyes: .

Recently they featured the wild comedy film "Another Gay Movie," (or is it NOT Another Gay Movie??), which is a rollicking take-off on teenage movies.

I like Here!TV, but I often wonder if LOGO shows better (and sexier) stuff. I'd like to hear what you think.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My cable has carried it for about 6-12 months as a part of their digital package. I haven't watched it much and like the O.P. wrote some shows look dated or mundane. A problem I have is not knowing what's on it. My local paper doesn't have it in it's listings. The best way to know what's on is to look at the on-screen menu.

It's a reflection of tolerance and progress that cable and satellite services are adding those types of channels.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Back on the subject. I had both LOGO and here! via Time Warner Cable when I lived in New York.

Here! was the classier of the two, with a better choice of movies and thoughtful documentaries.

LOGO started out pretty iffy. It would repeat the same movies over and over, and the same with series. (I was about to throw a brick at the TV if I switched to LOGO and saw anotrher episode of Wonderfalls. )

But toward the end, they lifted their game. Plenty of comedy specials and light entertaining tidbits in the form of news (much from CBS). Kind of like E! for gay people, whereas here! was a bit more serious. I believe that MTV owns LOGO, so I was surprised at the limited resources for programming it appeared to have.

Both channels show great short films, though.

That said, I'm not sure that these channels really break much new ground for gay popular culture. Remember that HBO and Showtime pushed the envelope with gay characters and themes in 6FU, The L Word and QAF. And Bravo created Queer Eye. Brokeback Mountain was on HBO long before it made its way to either of the gay networks. And forgive me, but Noah's Arc has a long way to go before it begins to touch the maturity with which gay content is presented in mainstream cable.

If you cough for the full whack of cable channels on offer nowadays--HBO, Showtime, Bravo, Turner, Cinemax, Starz, Encore, Oxygen, A&E and others--you might just find that you have more quality gay content than both the gay channels combined.

During my recent short stint in the US, I was actually surprised at how uniformly good the serious mainstream cable channels were. Programmes like Big Love, Weeds, 6FU, and of course, The Sopranos really leave British TV (the previous gold standard) for dead.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I get LOGO but I don't watch it much. There is this lesbian prison series from Britan that is always on it seems - not too interesting for me. I do watch Noah's Arc sometimes, and the gay travel show. It's fun in an innocent kind of way. I do agree with Headbang that there are sometimes very good short films on LOGO. I wish there were more naked hunky men on there but I suppose they are taking the high road. The market segment they target is teens to college age kids it seems.

Actually I don't watch much TV anymore - seems like I'm surfing 129 channels vs. actually watching anything of interest.

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm seriously over LOGO. When it first came out, my friend and I would spend hours watching it, until it would end programming. Now, we'd rather watch C-SPAN than LOGO. Although, C-SPAN also has interesting programming.

I agree with Earl, having 300+ channels only means that my hand is doing double the channel flipping than normal.