The LOGO TV channel

BIGdkluver

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
What happened to the gay TV channel LOGO? Is it still being broadcast?

I just switched from cable to satellite partially because the latter advertised LOGO as one of its channels. But it seems to be gone from there.

Anyone know anything about it? Thanks for your help! :frown1:

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's still on the air, but everything they're showing this week is a rerun of something they've shown before, so you're not really missing out.

They have a website at http://www.logoonline.com/
that features some online clips, as well as a page where you can enter your zip code and identify which providers carry it, and what channel they carry it on.

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
THERE'S a gay tv??? WOW!
didn't know that, what do they have that a REGULAR tv hasn't?

I'm from europe, and here the gay thing is not huge, but tv still shows 'gay related shows' in normal broadcast hours! :)

Balljunkie

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I like Logo. They show reruns of Queer As Folk late at night, they have a short-film series with some actually decent show films, the NewNowNext music at 12 on Sundays shows videos that you don't see on MTV (I actually saw the Colton Ford music video on there and Robyn's "Konichewa B!tches" on there), the L word is started on June 26th, the CBS news on Logo shows plenty of positive and negative things that are happening in the gay (GLBT) community, The Big Gay Sketch Show has gotten funny, the gay stand-up show WiseCrack shows Alec Mapa, Judy Gold, and some lesbians and gay comics that I have never heard of. Real Momentum is good. It shows positive things that gay people are doing. I watched the history of Fire Island recently. I learned some things. The coming out stories are kinda cool. The mayor of (Sacramento?) decided to come out during his term. That was my favorite.

The dislikes: The Bad Girls show. It is a British show about women in prison, and is on 24/7. They do repeat stuff. It seems every other weekend they have a Transamerican Love Story in heavy rotation or a British Affair which constitutes of British gay movies. There is a lack of original gay content. It cancelled Noah's Arc. I feel that the channel could do so much more.

Additionally, the gays are extremely underrepresented on the regular channels. Yes, there are gay characters on Brothers and Sisters and Desperate Housewives. None on CBS, NBC, or Fox. The Real World this time around has no gay characters.

Last edited:

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Dirty Videophile said:
When I switched from Dish to Direct TV, I was happy they had Logo however after viewing some of their movies and finding them highly edited, I'm not so sure now.

Logo is owned by Viacom, as are:

• MTV (and VH1 and all of their spinoff channels)
  • BET
  • Comedy Central
  • Nickelodeon
  • TV Land
  • Spike
  • CMT.
Their interest is to squeeze as much profit as possible by maximizing advertising revenue and minimizing expenditures on content. Airing movies uncensored would result in the network being dropped in more conservative markets, decreasing their revenue. The huge number of reruns on the network are a way to keep the costs of running the network down.

Eventually, the time will come when we can demand a better quality network and have enough clout to get it, but for now, most of us put up with Logo because it's the only game in town.

Stephenmass

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
They show reruns of Queer As Folk

The reruns of QAF on LOGO are nothing like they were on Showtime. I watched ALL the seasons in full on Showtime and trust me, what you see on Logo definitely takes away from the originals. Sad because it was truly a good and funny show!

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I despise LOGO. There's far more "gay" programming on MTV than on LOGO and it should be on there (LOGO) as well.

I'd like to see more episodes of the main MTV shows like Real World and stuff filter onto the other station so it can thin out their constant repeating of all that randomness that they rely on.

Mustang

Experimental Member
Media
I totally agree. I upgraded my cable so I would get Logo. It's so watered down and edited, I'm going get rid of it. :no:

BIGdkluver

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
As the original poster, I'd like to thank all of you for your comments and responses. Actually, I AM getting LOGO now (it was just on a different channel than it was before), and I'm enjoying it--kind of. I agree that it's being censored and watered down (the QAF reruns cut out all the "bad" words referring to sex), but perhaps someday something better--and hotter--will come along.

Thanks again for your nice responses to my post.