"The Lost Boys" Young men failing at education

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wyldgusechaz, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

I have alluded to this for years but here it is in black and white
    Universities admit men with lower qualifications than women in order to maintain the right gender ratio. Why aren't men prepared for college? - WSJ.com

>>>Economists at both the Department of Education and the College Board agree that, to ensure high future earnings, men and women have an equal need for college degrees, and yet only women are getting that message. The numbers are startling. This summer the Center for Labor Market Studies at Northeastern University published the results of a study tracking the students who graduated from Boston Public Schools in 2007. Their conclusion: For every 167 females in four-year colleges, there were 100 males.<<<

No wonder I get to date very hot young women. The men their age have checked out. Who wants to fuck a guy who has no ambition, if in fact as a woman you are motivated and a hard charger?

2. MuscledHorse

MuscledHorse Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I have a friend who plays around on secondlife--it's a role playing site of some sort. He called me a few years ago totally aghast at having started talking to the umpteenth guy behind the character only to find out it was a late 20 and 30 something guy who still lived at home in his room or in the basement, had a meager job or no job at all and spent all day playing on the net and the like...and what floored him was that they were perfectly content with that life. We both wonder, however, what they wil do when mom and dad die and there's no more money and they have no skill or income. "But you're 21 and still your mother makes your bed...and that's to long" ---Billy Joel, "Captain Jack"

3. Sergeant_Torpedo

Gold Member

It is because first generation middle class males have been so indulged by their families and, sad to say, their nation that they no longer have any self respect. Most American men have a poor view of women. If you are older than 14 and you still refer to a female as a babe then it is frankly embarrassing.

4. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    This is a "political" issue?

5. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh you know what's coming...

6. sam1956

sam1956 Member

Albums:
    This isn't just boys this is a whole generation of very unmotivated souls.In the inner city they are taken care of first by mama then by babys mama.All the while saying they are going to be a rap star.In the burbs the young men are content to live with mama till they are forced out,Isn't this how serial killers start?I never thought I'd say this but my generation atleast got behind something education peace changing the world drugs something.I am 53.:mad:

7. MercyfulFate

MercyfulFate New Member

Albums:
    Well, don't women outnumber men anyway?

That being said I'm going back to college, hooray.

8. whatireallywant

Gold Member

That's something that a lot of people (and those who write articles like these...) don't quite seem to realize. About 51-52% of college students are female. And, about 51-52% of the general population are female. Makes perfect sense to me.

Not only that, but a couple of years ago I had a job that took me to several schools in the school system here. One thing I noticed was that girls outnumbered boys sometimes by 2 to 1... in public school FIRST GRADE classes. Since these are compulsory, you can't really say, "Oh, the educational system is failing our boys". It's more like there just really are that many more girls than there are boys in that age group! (Which would be really bad for the girls if they're all straight when they get older! YIKES!!!)

#8 whatireallywant, Nov 11, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  9. MercyfulFate

MercyfulFate New Member

Albums:
    All very true, another thing that could contribute is women's typical job markets. Now I'm not stereotyping, but a lot do go towards healthcare and teaching, both of which require college education to be a part of. A man in construction doesn't necessarily need a degree however.

10. B_Enough_for_Me

B_Enough_for_Me New Member

No, men outnumber women.

Good for you! What are you studying? The best decision of my life was to go back to college.

In the 70's women-libbers pointed out the low attendance rate of women in colleges as proof-positive evidence that males were dominating the work force in a gender-biased way. Now, women dominate college campuses. Of course, the argument from the women's side has not changed. Allegedly, men are oppressing women by forcing them into jobs that men won't do.

I find all this ridiculous. Men are treated as beasts of burden. They are expected to find a good paying job and work until they die; period. What do they spend their money on? Well, nothing. Women make the mass majority of consumer decisions. Including where to spend their education money. It's pretty hard for dad to attend college when he's putting in 10 hour days down on the canning line. Mom on the other hand can, and her income resource (dad) can be treated inefficiently and wastefully; ie, she can get a degree in 'teaching' which she uses to be a teachers assistant in kindergarten. All the while mom isn't saving so Dad can take time off or retire, quite the opposite; she's consuming at full-speed.

Theres my rant.

11. B_Enough_for_Me

B_Enough_for_Me New Member

According to the World Factbook there is 1.07 men to every female.
    So, population is 46.5% women and 53.5% men.

The UN's charts can be found here.

12. MickeyLee

Gold Member

the whole point of the article is that to maintain a gender ratio similar to the national average that standards have been lower for male applicants.

the concern is how many men are leaving high school without the skills needed to continue with their educations?

i am guessing that if male college applicants were being screened the same as females the numbers would be something closer to 30% dude 70% chicas.

so pissed about this lil bit o' stupidity. qualified students are being passed over to keep the dating pool chocked full of dick?

sexist and pointless.... everyone knows college is when all the women experiment with bi-sexuality. :rolleyes:

13. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

14. whatireallywant

Gold Member

Could be...

Thing is, health care and teaching are recession-proof jobs! I see more men going into those fields now, often precisely for that reason. (I am female and I'm definitely NOT cut out for those fields - I don't like kids and I'm very squeamish about blood! :biggrin1:) Construction work is very cyclical and when the economy is bad, there is no work for construction workers. (and for the record, I don't think I'm cut out for construction work either - I'm too accident-prone!)

As for the men living with their parents until into their thirties, etc. I have a couple of observations from my own life and just stuff I've seen (not necessarily the case everywhere). I lived with MY parents until I was into my thirties, but not because of lack of ambition. I was extremely shy and was unable to get a decent job - or really keep a job once I got one! However, I did NOT lack ambition. After my first college degree didn't work out for me (I actually kind of knew it wouldn't while I was still in college, and after having a couple of jobs - IN healthcare, no less - uh, there's a reason I know I'm not cut out for health care jobs! - I went back to school to study computers. This worked out much better for me, but it did take actually several years after graduation before I could find a job (the place where I grew up is economically disadvantaged even when the economy is good, plus the employers in the IT jobs there, what few there were, often wouldn't hire women for those jobs - Yes, I really DID encounter that!!!) I've also known women who have lived with their parents until into their thirties, etc., who DID lack ambition. They wouldn't take a job because it wasn't *FUN*. They'd rather be broke and just stay home watching TV all day. Geez, that'd bore me to death, and being broke especially, I hate it! So, lack of ambition/education is not necessarily gender specific.

As for the number of men vs. women, I was basing it on the population of the US. Some of it could be in the upper age groups, women outnumber men more, but I remember seeing those first grade classes, where there were nearly twice as many girls as boys. And it was like that in EVERY first grade class, in EVERY school that I went to! I don't know if that was just a fluke in that school system or if it's an indication of the ratios of the population at large.

15. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    just pick the "right" major.... marketing, communications, or fashion design.

16. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    oh and... do NOT attend any school in the Midwest or New England... head for Florida or the Southwest.

17. MercyfulFate

MercyfulFate New Member

Albums:
    I already have a degree, and why would I not attend college in New England?

18. Freddie53

Gold Member

I am a retired teacher. Most teachers both male and female teach in a way that girls can learn faster than boys. Girls are usually able to master the little things like tying shoes, holding a pencil etc.

Our laws probably won't allow it, but if because of this developmental lag the starting time for boys should be about six months later than for girls. It would do wonders.

Also, I found many boys who had never done well in school blossom in my room. That is because even though I am smart, I don't do well with the left brain crap that so many elementary teachers dish out. Write all your spelling words 20 times each. Practice making your As 100 times. Truth is, with boys just wait six months and they can make that letter A just fine. If they are good spellers they will know how to spell every word. If they are like me and dont' spell well, memorizing the words doesn't help. I was a good student whose parents expected much from me. I could memorize the words for the Friday test and make a 100 %. Six weeks later, I couldn't spell half of them. That God for spell check.

By third grade when the boys are catching up with the girls developmentally, patterns have already been set.

Back to learning styles, most boys like interactive learning. Many elementary teachers expect a student to seat in a chair and not get up for ANY reason for 90 minutes to in extreme cases three hours, though I have only heard of that in private schools, not public. Boys will wiggle in their chairs more than girls do. What is so awful about wiggling if under control?

Boys in general are not going to do as well in that setting as in a setting with hands on activities. Boys want to read about a fiction Roman boy who lived in the Roman Empire and went to the Coliseum. By the time the story is over, the boys know the Coliseum by heart. Is it taught that way in most sixth grade classrooms? NO. Here is unfortunately the short and long version

The Romans built this big place where they had sport games. It was called the Coliseum.

One the test, Name the place where the Romans played sports. Most girls will memorize what ever the teacher has them learn for the test. They may have no clue what it is they wrote and forget it. The boys could do it, but most won't, not until they need to have the grades to go to college.

The learning styles of boys and girls are in general a bit different. When I taught school the girls did just as good did under any other teacher. The difference is that the girls who made an A in my room remembered what they learned. Same for boys. It was true for boys in that old dry way of teaching, but fewer boys are willing to just learn meaningless information to please mom and dad.

The girls may not have kinown about the Colissum as well as the boys, but the part about how the Roman home was arranged they beat the boys. Different interests for different genders.

Homework can do more harm than good depending on how it is approached. When it is "busy work" the boys will get their girl friends to do it for them in high school. So another bad pattern has been set.

Our American education system is not going to be an A plus one until: One, we as parents and teachers strive to make it interesting and instill in the students a desire to learn information and know how to use it. Two, we have to face the fact that all of us aren't pro football players, or concert pianists etc. When we gear our educational system to match the skills that our students have and make what ever vocation that is to be considered respectful to the students then we will see scores climb dramatically. It is all about if your are a janitor, be the best damn one on the lot. Learn how to do it better than anyone else. I have a friend in the custodial business. He is a multimillionaire. It can be done.

The UK has been doing this for years. We Americans can learn a thing or two from the Mother Country!

19. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sigh.

I feel like maybe you and I are the only ones who know the ulterior motive behind this thread, somehow.

20. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Make that three...
    The only thing that surprises me is that it hasn't actually gone there yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted