The Lounge

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Barbi_Queue, Apr 20, 2005.

1. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

At times, there are comments that I have that I don't think deserve an entire thread, but yet I'd like to share them with my LPSG friends. I figure that I can't be the only one that feels this way, so I thought I'd dedicate a thread to all those little comments. Think of this as a slow chat room. :D

My first:

When I change my son's diaper, I have a habit of telling him to "Get up, stand up" to pull his pants back up when I'm done. Most of the time I turn that into Bob Marley's song and add the "Stand up for your rights" after it.

I never noticed how often I did this until the other day I did the usual "Get up, stand up" and he chimed in with "Stand up for your rights". It was a proud moment for me.

2. naughty

Gold Member

Texassgirl,

I love it! Moments like that are what make life worth while! I bet he is a real cutie!
    I am going to hear that for the rest of the evening. What a great story.We should have more stories like that .I have to tell some of my stories about little kids. We would be laughing all day and night .This is great we keep this thread going!

Naughty

3. steve319

Gold Member

And what a great song for him to be singing too! I know I'll have it going in my head for the rest of the evening too, Naughty.

Do you find yourself singing to him at other times too? I think that's a great thing to do for your kids. They need to have music in their lives and to learn to enjoy and experience it (God knows they aren't getting the chance in school anymore...)

It warms my heart to hear good stories about parents enjoying their kids. Sometimes I think I only get the bad side of things because of my job.

I just got an e-mail tonight from my college roommate announcing that he and his wife just took home a baby boy they are hoping to adopt (their second). There's still a 10-day waiting period during which the birth parents can change their minds, so they are surely living their own little period of hell right now. He's a great guy and I know he's going to be a fantastic father to this one too. I hope they get the chance.

Great idea for a topic, TexAssgirl. I'm finding that your topics always turn out to be lots of fun.

4. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I love Marley, and reggae, and ska. The whole island sound , really. But just ti hijack yer topic for a quick sec...

I was thinkin today...Like, if yer a woman, and yer messin around with a married dude, yer a mistress. What if yer a dude messin around with a married woman? What are you called?

Ok, that's all I wanted to get off my chest.

5. madame_zora

Gold Member

Lucky! and therein lies the double standard.

I love Bob Marley too, what a warm way to change your son, Texass. My daughter potty trained herself so early I don't have any good stories like that. I remember when she was little, about five, she would bring me drawings of dresses she wanted me to make for her and it was my challenge to make it look "just like the picture".

She moved to Florida yesterday, and I'm back to singing "Ain't no sunshine when she's gone".

6. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I love Bob Marley too, what a warm way to change your son, Texass. My daughter potty trained herself so early I don't have any good stories like that. I remember when she was little, about five, she would bring me drawings of dresses she wanted me to make for her and it was my challenge to make it look "just like the picture".

She moved to Florida yesterday, and I'm back to singing "Ain't no sunshine when she's gone".
    [post=302841]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

George is in love with a married woman. He's been waiting 17 years for her to leave her husband. She keeps saying, "When the time is right, honey." George is suspicious that the four kids she's had over that time aren't really his. Although she's very wealthy they never go anywhere except cheap motels for fear they'll be seen. Lately she has suggested that they go "Dutch."

George feels so cheap.

7. naughty

Gold Member

[post=302841]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

Awwww Jana,

Tell her we miss her and I know you do.

8. D_Barbi_Queue

Nixxy - you can't hijack this topic...that's what it's here for: all those random thoughts.

Steve - I find that I do sing to him a lot. Usually it's just made up songs in a really bad tune. Let's just say that I'd be one of those auditions that they'd be poking major fun at on American Idol. :lol:

MZ - Is she moving for good, or is it temporary?

9. naughty

Gold Member

OK,

I have to tell this story . Every family has a most quotable person and mine is my cousin J! She was a cute and very bright little drama queen. Well, my Uncle B was known to call up family members and pretend to be someone else on the telephone. One Christmas Eve he chose J as his victim. He called and asked to speak to her. When she got to the phone he said, "Ho ho ho little girl I bet you dont know who this is? " She responded, "Oh Santa I am so glad you called I needed to call you but I didnt have your number." Intrigued my Uncle asked in Grinch like oiliness, "Well , my dear what seems to be the problem?" Breathlessly she told him, "Oh Santa, I wanted to let you know i was going to leave the font door unlocked tonight, because I dont think you should come down the chimney! " He continued " ...and why is that my dear?" "Well, Daddy started a fire in the fireplace tonight I told him you were coming but he wouldnt listen. So I am glad you called because if you had tried to come down that chimney you would have burnt your butt! " At that, my uncle fell out laughing and had to hang up the phone. We eventually told her it was Uncle B. What a considerate child ! Naw , girlfriend was making sure she got her yearly stash unharmed! LOL!

Naughty

10. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Just wanted to be shure on the rules, gorgeous. I like this topic. You, my good woman, are an innovator.

11. steve319

Gold Member

Cute Santa story! I have a brother who does that same sort of phone call thing.

In the tradition of random thoughts, let me interject my own.

You know that fear you get when you get a case of the hiccups and you just can't get rid of it? You try the paper bag and sipping water and whatever else you can think of and it just won't go. Minutes pass and the thought occurs to you that you might end up as one of those people who hiccup for, say months or years or something and eventually go crazy? You know that fear? (am I the only one?)

Anyway, I have a bit of that feeling lately because for months now I've been a bit of an insomniac. There, I said the word! Hours and hours awake for no reason whatsoever. I can see it affecting my concentration too. And the freaky thing is that I've always been able to sleep through anything and at the drop of a hat. I'm kind of afraid to research it. I find myself wondering if insomnia (I said it again) suddenly develops at a certain age.

You know, the way that schizophrenia suddenly surfaces in some men once they reach some age range (Oh, now THAT'S a comforting comparison, isn't it?). :unsure:

No real comment to make about it and it's sort of appropos of nothing, but it's something odd that I have on my mind.

NEXT!

12. naughty

Gold Member

Steve319,

It seems that Schizophrenia usually surfaces at adolescence. As for insomnia, I know what you mean. You would think that I would get up and do something constructive instead of staying on LPSG! A friend of mine who is also a former member told me that I need a major intervention! LOL! He has no sympathy when I kvetch about daily skirmishes here on board! LOL! Allergies can surface at anytime too.

Naughty

13. D_Barbi_Queue

Hiccups suck. I used to eat a sugar cube to get rid of them. Now I just suffer. Once, I had someone ask me to hiccup for them in the midst of a spell. I was so embarrassed that it made them stop. It's weird how the mind works.

Naughty...my husband thinks I spend way too much time online as well. But it's the only place I get to talk with adults during the week days. You can only have so many meaningful conversations with toddlers, and even then...my toddler is at school 3 days a week.

14. madame_zora

Gold Member

Heh heh, fellow insomniac here, what would we all do without lpsg? Sometimes I'm literally up for days, no wonder I post so much. My friends think I should get out more but where do you go at 4 to 7 am?

Julianna's going for an extended vacation (two months), but then moving down full time. I may join her then, we'll see how she likes it. She won't have full time computer access there for a while, but I'll sure tell her you guys said hi.

15. Imported

Gold Member

hung_big: A hiccough isn't a cough, so why is it called that?

16. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hey Jana, what part of Florida is she in?

17. steve319

Gold Member

It's really sweet of you, Naughty, to set me at ease that way. I really wasn't concerned about the onset of emotional problems being at the root of this insomnia thing, but that same out-of-nowhere BANG!-type malady was the comparison that came to mind.

I had that whole thing on my mind anyway this week because a guy I know is in a bad way with his own emotional problems. Sudden onset of some serious troubles in his mid-to-late twenties and now he's going through shock treatments and, according to his family, almost out of medication options. It's really sad and has weighed on my mind a lot this week, so that's why that comparison jumped to mind so readily for me.

Thanks so much for your encouraging words!

As for spending so much time on the LPSG, I hear you! It's pretty all-consuming at times, isn't it? I'm choosing to chalk it up to the fact that I'm still new and still alive with the new thrill. Sound plausible to you guys? ;)

18. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I was schizoid when I was a kid.

No I wasn't.

Yes I was.

19. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    I'm a schizophrenic
    And so am I

20. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

If you get detained by a cop for being slightly intoxicated and doing cartwheels in the middle of the street, what's the radio code for that?

(No, really. It happened to me last night.)

I offered 722.6. I don't know; it just sounds good to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted