The Lowest Common Denominator Thread

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This is precisely what the last few months have looked like, and I say why not? The growth of a community allows it to splinter off into divisions, whether it's online, or in a bricks&mortar environment.

I agree; my post wasn't intended as a criticism, merely as an attempt to finally articulate just what it is that may have been causing some posters here to repeatedly post about their dissatisfaction with regard to 'where LPSG is headed' in recent times.

We're human beings, we're flexible, we adjust. But sometimes we need to remember that change takes a greater toll on some people than it does on others, and that a fair few members here may want to stand back for a while to catch their breath. And that's very much what I see happening here at the moment.

Like I said, nothing is necessarily wrong; but it is worth flagging up the point that the transition and transformation of the site are things that some members are adjusting to more slowly, in the hope of 'finding their feet' at this essentially 'new' LPSG. And that's something worth keeping in mind when interacting with others, rather than simply pooh-poohing their feelings as pointless whingeing or dismissing them as 'killjoys' (and both those responses have been put forward on threads by relative n00bs recently); if this really is a 'support' site, then allowing everyone the time to 'catch up' so that they too can enjoy the place again.. is surely not too much to ask of the membership as a whole? :wink:

Big Dreamer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That did make sense Jeff. The ratio of 'thought provoking' threads to 'gibberish' threads is pretty bad, and a lot of time is wasted trying to wade through the muck. When I log on I often go to the Profiles of certain people (yourself included) and search their recent postings, as it normally leads to the more entertaining threads.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
I agree; my post wasn't intended as a criticism, merely as an attempt to finally articulate just what it is that may have been causing some posters here to repeatedly post about their dissatisfaction with regard to 'where LPSG is headed' in recent times.

We're human beings, we're flexible, we adjust. But sometimes we need to remember that change takes a toll on some people, and that others may want to stand back for a while to catch their breath. And that's very much what I see happening here at the moment.

Like I said, nothing is necessarily wrong; but it is worth flagging up the point that the transition and transformation of the site are things that some members are adjusting to more slowly, in the hope of 'finding their feet' at this 'new' LPSG. And that's something worth keeping in mind when interacting with others, rather than simply pooh-poohing their feelings as pointless whingeing or dismissing them as 'killjoys' (and both those responses have been put forward on threads by relative n00bs recently); if this really is a 'support' site, then allowing everyone the time to 'catch up' so that they too can enjoy the place again.. is surely not too much to ask of the membership as a whole? :wink:

Two good posts. You're on a roll.:smile:

Big Dreamer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You know as a resident hetero I have two complaints.

1) The site is too gay.

2) Not enough women voices.

But the less gay the site gets the less intellectual, which is today's problem I'd hazard to guess.

It only gets that 'gay feeling' when you log on, spiker.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I can only speak for the last year as that's the time I've been on this site.

During that time I've seen natural ebbs and flows and periods when there has been more nastiness than others. These periods tend to die down after a couple of weeks and normal service resumes. Whatever normal service is.

I've seen periods where people have taken a break (myself included) and return with renewed vigour. Some leave for good which of course is their prerogative.

To me this site represents real life with it's peaks and troughs. At the end of the day the site is made up of a cross section of society with all it's different personalities. Some you love some you hate.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
There are internet personalities that can carry a site single handedly. There happen to be like 8 or 10 here, rather unique if you ask me.

It is the only fucking reason I come back from time to time. It would be a shame if they left or posted less frequently.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
There is some loss of character on the site ... more pettiness, less caring, more disengaged anonymity.
But I can't help thinking we're all exaggerating this a bit.
There's an ebb and flow and we're just in a (hopefully brief) period of ebb ... and no very dramatic one, at that.
But over the very long term, I do suppose that something that people cared about is being slowly diluted.
Moving from hamlet to conurbation does this.
Not worth a great deal of fuss, imho.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
lol U guyz R mad,,,. rate my dik plz? my piano teecher says it waz thick

My age depresses me two-fold: not only am I scared to be associated with the actions of the other teenagers around here, but if I was born earlier I might have been around to see LPSG's "different"(read: good) times.
:redface:

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
The only constant at LPSG is the complaint that things are not as they once were.:rolleyes:

Again, I really don't see what the big deal is. Some people have left, many have stayed. And many others have joined recently and become great members. The only thing that I've ever not liked about LPSG is threads such as these. It gives an air of elitism which does not sit well with me at all.

And the "Count to 25,000" thread? Please. It's hardly going to be the downfall of LPSG. If it's so bad why not petition the mods/co-admins to close it?

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have to say, I have been guilty of not a small amount of pettiness. Part of it does come from the fact that even since I joined, there really are a lot less well-thought-out posts that are good to sink one's intellectual teeth into. Big D and I were lamenting yesterday that when we write long, thoughtful posts, a lot of times they go seemingly ignored because, apparently, they are too much to read. I find that sad. Some of the very best posts are those that really try to get into the meat of a subject, and they offer many jumpimn off points where someone else can take off and make their own ideas known.

Big Dreamer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have to say, I have been guilty of not a small amount of pettiness. Part of it does come from the fact that even since I joined, there really are a lot less well-thought-out posts that are good to sink one's intellectual teeth into. Big D and I were lamenting yesterday that when we write long, thoughtful posts, a lot of times they go seemingly ignored because, apparently, they are too much to read. I find that sad. Some of the very best posts are those that really try to get into the meat of a subject, and they offer many jumpimn off points where someone else can take off and make their own ideas known.

*Whispering* Be quiet, Snoozan. I'm trying an image reconstruction here in LPSG, and my new hung-hawt-party-stud wouldn't be caught dead wasting time with no married chick that has already squeezed out a puppy.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
And the "Count to 25,000" thread? Please. It's hardly going to be the downfall of LPSG. If it's so bad why not petition the mods/co-admins to close it?

Nobody said it would be the site's "downfall", just as no-one on this thread has really been "complaining" about the change this site has undergone. Just acknowledging that change has occurred, and that this may sit less well with some than with others.

The "Count to 25,000" thread was merely cited as an example of the depths of inanity to which this place can on occasion sink. The fact the thread appears more or less to have extinguished itself at the time of this posting.. speaks for itself; in such cases, no moderator action is required... bad ideas fizzle out of their own accord. And that's a very positive sign that we're nowhere near hitting the bottom of the barrel. :rolleyes:

As for claims of 'elitism': do you really expect people to divorce themselves from their memories of their past experiences here? Is expressing nostalgia for the village, when one lives in the urban sprawl now, really a case of being elitist? No-one's said the village or the town were without their own peccadilloes (great pets, by the way) and problems too ... as anyone who's lived in either kind of place in real life would readily admit too. Yes, they get characterized over time as "the good old days", because that's the nature of nostalgia. But daring to have memories isn't an elitist act, merely an act of noting that we've arrived in a new place, with which we may or may not yet be fully comfortable.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
There really are a lot less well-thought-out posts that are good to sink one's intellectual teeth into. Big D and I were lamenting yesterday that when we write long, thoughtful posts, a lot of times they go seemingly ignored because, apparently, they are too much to read. I find that sad. Some of the very best posts are those that really try to get into the meat of a subject, and they offer many jumpimn off points where someone else can take off and make their own ideas known.

You know, snoozan, I read this and just nod.
Yup, come to think of it, the etcetera thread in particular has lost a lot of oomph.
I myself used to write longer posts, at least sometimes.
And I don't any more.
And I think far fewer people do.
That's a loss, for sure.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
*Whispering* Be quiet, Snoozan. I'm trying an image reconstruction here in LPSG, and my new hung-hawt-party-stud wouldn't be caught dead wasting time with no married chick that has already squeezed out a puppy.

[if the hat fits]
Bring it on baybee. As long as it's fun I'll take all cummers who don't expect a phone call afterwards.:biggrin1:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You know, snoozan, I read this and just nod.
Yup, come to think of it, the etcetera thread in particular has lost a lot of oomph.
I myself used to write longer posts, at least sometimes.
And I don't any more.
And I think far fewer people do.
That's a loss, for sure.

What he said...^^^^^, more or less. :smile:

The 'cliques' seem to have abated somewhat, (though in context perhaps diluted is a better term) but the blind sycophancy by some members appears to remain.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
a little of topic:

You know what would be interesting to know?

Who's got on to the most ignore lists. And like Google, at one time at least, what are the most searched terms. Other analysis variables would also be fun to know.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
There is some loss of character on the site ... more pettiness, less caring, more disengaged anonymity.
But I can't help thinking we're all exaggerating this a bit.
There's an ebb and flow and we're just in a (hopefully brief) period of ebb ... and no very dramatic one, at that.
But over the very long term, I do suppose that something that people cared about is being slowly diluted.
Moving from hamlet to conurbation does this.
Not worth a great deal of fuss, imho.

Uh huh huh, he said conurbation. Isn't that inmate autoeroticism?

Among the hundreds of posts entered at LPSG every day there's a lot of nonsense and fun but there is also seriousness and support. We aren't a bunch of old farts sitting around the club smoking cigars and reminiscing. We're a rare community of young and old, experienced and newbie, male and female, gay and straight, big and tall, long and short, empathetic and stoical, high strung and laid back. We're like Sears & Roebuck used to be.

We have everything.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Uh huh huh, he said conurbation. Isn't that inmate autoeroticism?

Ha ha ha ha.
Excuse the pretension, Pecker.
An older friend scorned me 20 years ago for not knowing the word, and I'm still trying to please daddy.

Among the hundreds of posts entered at LPSG every day there's a lot of nonsense and fun but there is also seriousness and support. We aren't a bunch of old farts sitting around the club smoking cigars and reminiscing. We're a rare community of young and old, experienced and newbie, male and female, gay and straight, big and tall, long and short, empathetic and stoical, high strung and laid back. We're like Sears & Roebuck used to be.
We have everything.

Pretty much true, imo.